Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: You are using an unsupported browser. Some features may not work correctly. Upgr  (Read 11416 times)

renluop

• Kitizen

Code: [Select]
You are using an unsupported browser. Some features may not work correctly. Upgrade to a modern browser, such as Google Chrome.Dismissis the message, when opening a link to an Excel file or its PDF version on a particular forum.

My preferred browser is Chrome, and I have ensured that the latest version is on my system, despite which the links do not load. However they do in IE10.

Chrome forum searches are like looking for a needle in a treacle haystack! ::)

Any thoughts, friends? Example link

JGO

• Reg Member

I wonder if it is the normal attitude of blaming the other guy since I can't be at fault !  intensified with a Christmas hangover ?   

Remember Cromwell " --- believe that ye might be mistaken "

P.S.  My point was that when someone has been working hard on a new project trying to get it right, there is a tendency to assume that the user hasn't got used to it when they report trouble  - (which is sometimes  true)    BUT it can get in the way of a objective look, particularly if you have been celebrating the end of the job !   
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 05:41:55 PM by JGO »

broadstairs

• Kitizen

Sounds to me as though your browser is not identifying itself to the site properly and it thinks you have a very old browser. Do you have any add-ons which might affect the way the browser id is sent?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

I'd do a thorough check for Malware first, almost always when I've seen such messages erroneously it's because something unwanted is interfering.  ;)

renluop

• Kitizen

I wonder if it is the normal attitude of blaming the other guy since I can't be at fault !  intensified with a Christmas hangover ?   

Remember Cromwell " --- believe that ye might be mistaken "
Not sure what you mean :-\ :) but definitely no hangover on YT. as missus would stop my pocket money. :'(

renluop

• Kitizen

Sounds to me as though your browser is not identifying itself to the site properly and it thinks you have a very old browser. Do you have any add-ons which might affect the way the browser id is sent?

Stuart
I have
Adblock Plus 1.7.2
Avast Browser security and web reputation plugin
Google Analytics Opt-out Add-on
Google Docs 0.5
Does one of those look a likely culprit?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 12:58:33 PM by renluop »

renluop

• Kitizen

More and more mysterious! According to http://whatbrowser.org/  I am using Opera12, an old version, but there was no sign of it on system, as program file , data or registry. Tried installing current version, but neither that action or un-installation brought a solution to the problem! And AFAICS registry is clear

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

Is there an option in Chrome that allows you to change the user agent, or an addon which enables this?
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen

Well that shows I am using Firefox 26 which is correct and I have AdBlock installed. The Avast one might be a possible. There is a FF addon called User Agent Switcher which is capable of switching what the browser sends as the user agent (the browsers ID). Dont know how yours could be set to that unless you have changed something in the long distant past. As a test I just changed mine using this addon and it thought correctly I was using Safari on an Iphone so you see you can change the value and at some time yours has been changed.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen

Is there an option in Chrome that allows you to change the user agent, or an addon which enables this?

As I have Chrome as well I just checked and yes there are equivalent addons for it to alter the user agent.

Stuart

renluop

• Kitizen

@Stuart Found three of them! Once I've decided which to use, how do I use them? I haven't a clue!

Edit Plunge taken and so the links now work, but the warning persisits. Maybe I'll live with that for a time. Thanks for help, friends! :drink: (virtual crate on way now :D).
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 04:03:27 PM by renluop »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

It does sound like the agent isn't identifying itself correctly, but there are sites available where you should be able to check this.

On a similarish topic, chrome keeps asking me if I want to make google my default search engine... Which it already is, so I click yes, and it shuts up... Until the next time.

Something else has just occurred to me, that it could be if it only happens on the one site, and that it could be the forum software that needs updating.   It's possible that it thinks say 10.1 is the latest version and it doesn't recognise the 10.2 that you have installed.

(Numbers made up cause I can't google or do links atm)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

renluop

• Kitizen

Hi there!  :) I found a site and this is the report,
Your User Agent String is:
Opera/9.80 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64) Presto/2.12.388 Version/12.11
Your IP Address: 87.113.--.--
. Funny thing is that I do not use Opera, and Windows NT 6.2 is Windows 8 by another name.

My son used his wife's laptop whilst here over the holiday on my connection. That's Windows 8, I believe. If the laptop browser were Opera might that be source of trpuble, that somehow my settings have got corrupted?

renluop

• Kitizen

Shall I award my self half a banana? :-\ but I decided to alter the user agent applicable to the lappy, and problem solved. How it came to play about with my computer/browser, my lack of knowledge leaves me baffled.

Thanks all for advice! :drink: :drink: :drink:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

I'm please you've got it sorted, and I think you deserve  whole banana. :)
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2

anything