Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Danger - Magic !  (Read 2483 times)

JGO

• Reg Member
Danger - Magic !
« on: December 31, 2013, 10:57:13 AM »

For information - just what can happen !.
I like the definition " Expert - someone who's done a web search on the subject  "

http://sciblogs.co.nz/griffins-gadgets/2013/12/19/demonizing-wifi-is-dangerous-to-your-childs-health/

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Danger - Magic !
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 11:07:14 AM »

The media always love a scare story, don't they? While I have every sympathy for the family of the boy who died, I believe the science, not the hysteria.
  Eric

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 02:37:36 PM »

Agree with you Roseway, (although |I can't see why parents can't prize the device off them ) For once no one seems to be screaming about Strontium 90.

To provide a bit of science,  the practical limit was 10mw/cm^2 = 100w/m^2 which was known to cause eye damage, a thermal effect. ( half that would light a neon bulb !)
The long term limit is much less than this,  ? 0.1 mw/cm^2  to cover possible non-thermal effects. AFAIK no such effects have been proven. 

To put this in perspective the sun can give 900 w/m^2  but that is "Natural"  so it doesn't count !

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 12:18:03 PM »

I don't know how much the human body can tolerate, but even if there were set figures I would imagine that this too would vary from person to person.

Throughout the past few centuries there has been claims and scares about various forms of frequency emissions be it overhead electricity cables, microwaves and mobile phones and I suppose now that wifi is so commonplace then its no surprise someone would raise claims about this too.

As regards to kids sleeping with iPods, isn't this relatively normal teenage behaviour?  It's the modern version of me sleeping with my little pocket radio under my pillow and a white earpiece tuned to the pirate stations.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker