Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Newly unlocked HG612 - some minor issues, help needed please  (Read 10970 times)

Stilez

• Just arrived
Re: Newly unlocked HG612 - some minor issues, help needed please
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 04:43:32 PM »

The unlabelled tab is for BT Agent. This has been removed, but the empty tab remains.
Ahh, the mystery solved :) Thank you!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 06:03:11 PM »

Login timeout not played with yet so no idea if it's telnet only timeout, or GUI too. I wish it was clearer if ":5" timeout was intended to mean 5 seconds or 5 minutes!

It means five minutes.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 06:49:45 PM »

Hi everyone.

As you can see I haven't gone totally dark  :P

Just a bit preoccupied with my BGW-XP --> BGW-7 migration which is going rather slowly at the moment. A combination of my lack of familiarity with BGW-7 and the need to find replacements for incompatible software. Naturally this includes both defrag and backup tools of course :'(

The GUI seems fine except for one minor quirk:

The unlabelled tab is for BT Agent. This has been removed, but the empty tab remains.

heh. Tracking down the cause of that 'minor quirk' was rather time consuming and nearly drove me batty at the time. I simply could not see what I was missing. In the end it appears to have been a browser issue. I cleared my browser cache for an unrelated reason and it just disappeared.

I'm one of those who had a problem (although I'm not a 'nay-sayer'). In my case I'm using the HG612 as a modem/router on an ADSL2+ connection, and the problem probably relates to the routing functions, so it's not relevant to those using it as a modem only.

I think by 'nay-sayers', he means those idiots who are not actually having any problems, don't know any one who is, but still scream 'Danger Will Robinson' because they think they saw the screen flicker when they jumped up and down while waving a Kosher Chapati in front of their face.

In the case of the UDP problem identified by Adrian over at AAISP, it doesn't appear to affect unlocked modems or those on a dynamic ip service, ie. BT Infinity.

Sadly I still have no idea what is causing your issue or how to cure it.

That also means, if I didn't want to use Wolf's FW or I get issues in future, I have options and workarounds. I can switch to any other firmware, list my desired changes, and either (a) flash Wolfs FW, change, save, revert to preferred FW, or (b) manually edit the saved XML config now that I have at least some reasonable saved config as a starting point, since "upload config" was working anyway, or even (c) use the squashfs webGUI unpacker/repacker to compare the GUI side and see if I can manually add the "save config" fix to the old FW.

Adding the save config fix to one of the old firmwares is fairly straight forward. Look for the following option in the defaultcfg.xml:- SaveCfgEnable="0" (It's at the end of a line starting with '<X_ATP_ServiceManage'). Simply change that to a '1' and rebuild.

This isn't necessary if you're uploading a saved config from either my B028SP10 or B030SP06 builds as it's already included in the default, but you will lose the option again if you reset to the default config.

On the other issues - Telnet seems "odd". It was inaccessible, and then later became accessible, under the firmware I (and BritBrat) first referenced, but I don't know what made the difference - not firewall on the client for sure. Then when I switched to Wolf's firmware it's stopped working again and I haven't got in since. I am not sure that's anything to do with Wolf's FW or not though, since it wasn't consistent on the other FW either and I don't know what factors affected it.  Login timeout not played with yet so no idea if it's telnet only timeout, or GUI too. I wish it was clearer if ":5" timeout was intended to mean 5 seconds or 5 minutes! Haven't looked for Firewall log yet but my back-end router handles that for the LAN, so this would just be covering connection attempts to the HG612 itself.

Yes, very odd... It certainly sounds like a client-side issue but I assume you've checked that.

I've never had any reason to alter the web interface timeout so I can't say for sure if Asbo's instructions relate to that or telnet. As it's the ATP console I'd hazard a guess it's the former.

This most likely candidate from the config file if you're looking for a more permanent change:- <X_ATP_Web Timeout="5" Language="Chinese"/>

Stilez

• Just arrived
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2013, 03:55:24 AM »

Adding the save config fix to one of the old firmwares is fairly straight forward. Look for the following option in the defaultcfg.xml:- SaveCfgEnable="0" (It's at the end of a line starting with '<X_ATP_ServiceManage'). Simply change that to a '1' and rebuild.

This isn't necessary if you're uploading a saved config from either my B028SP10 or B030SP06 builds as it's already included in the default, but you will lose the option again if you reset to the default config.

I've never had any reason to alter the web interface timeout so I can't say for sure if Asbo's instructions relate to that or telnet. As it's the ATP console I'd hazard a guess it's the former.

This most likely candidate from the config file if you're looking for a more permanent change:- <X_ATP_Web Timeout="5" Language="Chinese"/>
Now you've posted here I can say thank you for your work!

If these are config file entries that are settable via manually edit and upload of any saved config, and will then remain in force until the next hard-reset or config overwrite, that would be good. Can you confirm I understood correctly? I also wonder if any "browser cache issue" might be due to some cached script, as the GUI is largely script driven?

Also (got to do this to you  ;D ;D a couple of ideas for when your file system's back) does your FW work allow you to figure out a list of valid options recognised in the XML config, or a full ATP command set/syntax? I couldn't find these documented, and they would be pretty useful!

Also as your firmware mods the GUI/codebase, there is one big area omitted for me, and it doesn't seem too hard to improve.  Is there potential to repurpose the extra tab under "device" that used to be "BT Agent", to give GUI access to "device security" basics that on the HG612 GUI are either inaccessible, or (if they don't exist internally) probably are not too hard to add via code? I'm thinking of basic device access security settings taken for granted on many open source router software, to enable/disable telnet/ssh/gui and specify their timeouts and service ports, to change admin account name ("admin" is so well known!), and if the webserver used is capable, adding https as an extra/default service option for ACL (plain text admin login for a LAN gateway config panel?! Even hashed it's still *shudder*!)

If that's easy then my follow up (lower importance!) would be override of default MAC address, and fixing the well known zeroed out line data in the GUI. Again hopefully not too tricky, but a few GUI improves like these would really make the firmware stand out :)

Any chance of at least the security stuff? As "security" matters more than "useful" :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 04:05:34 AM by Stilez »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 06:54:55 AM »

just be aware the hg612 gui only allows login from one ip at a time, if you change your lan ip or something you could be locked out for 60 mins if increasing it.

its good kitz has made a hg612 page and I will ask howlingwolf if its ok for me to mirror his firmware so is a 2nd download location.

I am using howlingwolf's firmware and functionally its fine, no issues with the gui or telnet.  In my opinion the blob is less stable than the older version on my line for error's but thats not a fault with howlingwolf's firmware itself.

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 09:58:11 PM »

Sorry about the delay in replying. I'm rather up to my eyeballs in it at the moment.

Now you've posted here I can say thank you for your work!

You're welcome :)

If these are config file entries that are settable via manually edit and upload of any saved config, and will then remain in force until the next hard-reset or config overwrite, that would be good. Can you confirm I understood correctly? I also wonder if any "browser cache issue" might be due to some cached script, as the GUI is largely script driven?

That's correct. Any changes you make will remain in force until you upload a new config or perform a 'hard-reset'.

The ghost tab issue was certainly a weird one as I was using shift-F5 to reload the page which should have ignored the cache state and reloaded everything from the modem. The most likely explanation is that this is something else those idiots over at Mozilla have managed to break in their desperate scramble to please the knuckle-draggers of the 'ooh shiny' club.

Also (got to do this to you  ;D ;D a couple of ideas for when your file system's back) does your FW work allow you to figure out a list of valid options recognised in the XML config, or a full ATP command set/syntax? I couldn't find these documented, and they would be pretty useful!

Also as your firmware mods the GUI/codebase, there is one big area omitted for me, and it doesn't seem too hard to improve.  Is there potential to repurpose the extra tab under "device" that used to be "BT Agent", to give GUI access to "device security" basics that on the HG612 GUI are either inaccessible, or (if they don't exist internally) probably are not too hard to add via code? I'm thinking of basic device access security settings taken for granted on many open source router software, to enable/disable telnet/ssh/gui and specify their timeouts and service ports, to change admin account name ("admin" is so well known!), and if the webserver used is capable, adding https as an extra/default service option for ACL (plain text admin login for a LAN gateway config panel?! Even hashed it's still *shudder*!)

If that's easy then my follow up (lower importance!) would be override of default MAC address, and fixing the well known zeroed out line data in the GUI. Again hopefully not too tricky, but a few GUI improves like these would really make the firmware stand out :)

Any chance of at least the security stuff? As "security" matters more than "useful" :)

Whoa... Steady on there Dear Boy...   Just how many pairs of arms do you think a Lupus Clamoris has?  :P

Seriously...

The only reference I know of for the ATP command set is Asbokid's blog at http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/. From what he was able to discover it appears to be very limited.

It might be possible to determine the valid config options from the configuration binary (cli?) but it would take some work which I simply don't have time for right now.

Altering or adding 'features' to the gui would be difficult if not impossible as the underlying web server would need to have the capabilities to support them.

All of the telnet options including the username and password can be altered by editing the appropriate line in the config file. The password is obfuscated but I think that can probably be worked around that by setting the gui password then copying it.

It may also be possible to do the same with the others but I don't know off-hand and can't check at the moment.

As for the 'well known zeroed out line data', that's somewhere in one of the underlying layers, not the gui.

I will ask howlingwolf if its ok for me to mirror his firmware so is a 2nd download location.

I don't think we need one at the moment and there's always the risk of outdated versions causing confusion when there are multiple sources. If a problem occurs with the current location, Kitz et. al. have my email address.
Pages: 1 [2]