Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Newly unlocked HG612 - some minor issues, help needed please  (Read 10972 times)

Stilez

• Just arrived
Newly unlocked HG612 - some minor issues, help needed please
« on: December 19, 2013, 04:15:02 PM »

As the title says, I just got FTTC, added an HG612 rev.3B, unlocked using the firmware at huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com ( bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B028SP10unlocked002 ), and thats gone fine.....

But I'm hitting some minor issues when configuring the unlocked 612. Does anyone have ideas what's up?

• The button to save the device config ("Download configuration file") is unexpectedly greyed out, stopping me from backing up my settings
  • Telnet doesn't seem to be able to connect on ports 22 or 23 (some sites suggest the port # was incorrect, tried both)
  • Auto-logout seems to have an insanely short timeout, so I get logged out of the web interface (or asked to re-enter PW) if nothing's done for a short time. Can the timeout period be modified?
  • Firewall exists but can't find a display for any firewall log in the web GUI
If anyone can help me with these, I'd really appreciate it  :angel:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 04:20:24 PM by Stilez »

BritBrat

• Kitizen
Re: Newly unlocked HG612 - some minor issues, help needed please
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 04:34:52 PM »

I think you have the wrong firmware.

Avoid the new blob version for now.

Take a look here:
http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm

Unlocked Firmware Images for Huawei HG612 - Direct link

I may be wrong though, but I used asbokids and everything seemed OK.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 04:46:07 PM by BritBrat »

Stilez

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 05:18:38 PM »

I think you have the wrong firmware.
Avoid the new blob version for now.

Take a look here:
http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm
Unlocked Firmware Images for Huawei HG612 - Direct link

I may be wrong though, but I used asbokids and everything seemed OK.
Both of those link to the same firmware I used. Download and unzip, you should find the same filename for the actual firmware within the zip itself.  As a check, the firmware I used has MD5 = 063d193e5e579075f1d53947ff46bfa3 and name "...SP10unlocked002". So did the links you gave.

So it's not a firmware issue, that's probably a red herring (though well intentioned). The firmware look good, I get a good connection and WebGUI access, it's unlocked.....
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 05:24:51 PM by Stilez »

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 05:26:12 PM »

Dun know then.

I also used the bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B028SP10unlocked002

Did you do a hard reset after?

I folowed these hg612_unlock_instructions_v1-3.pdf
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 05:34:22 PM by BritBrat »

Stilez

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 05:55:55 PM »

Dun know then.

I also used the bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B028SP10unlocked002

Did you do a hard reset after?

I folowed these hg612_unlock_instructions_v1-3.pdf
Pretty much same instructions..... I don't see a reference to doing a hard reset after the new firmware is in, though, I powered it off however. Did I miss that? Intuitively it wouldn't matter - will a hard reset affect whether config backup button is greyed out, or the internal telnet daemon is started and responsive? Everything else works fine including connection, webGUI, etc.  Could it make a difference to the issues above?

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 06:18:44 PM »

I dont think it says do a hard reset, but from having flashed many routers in the past it was always advised to do a factory reset.

Other than that I think I would reflash it again.

Could it make a difference to the issues above?

I am no expert but if there were settings from the old firmware set I think clearing it all out may solve it.

I cant see it doing any harm.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 06:24:47 PM by BritBrat »

RobertBuroman

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 08:20:27 PM »

As the title says, I just got FTTC, added an HG612 rev.3B, unlocked using the firmware at huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com ( bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B028SP10unlocked002 ), and thats gone fine.....

But I'm hitting some minor issues when configuring the unlocked 612. Does anyone have ideas what's up?

• The button to save the device config ("Download configuration file") is unexpectedly greyed out, stopping me from backing up my settings
  • Telnet doesn't seem to be able to connect on ports 22 or 23 (some sites suggest the port # was incorrect, tried both)
  • Auto-logout seems to have an insanely short timeout, so I get logged out of the web interface (or asked to re-enter PW) if nothing's done for a short time. Can the timeout period be modified?
  • Firewall exists but can't find a display for any firewall log in the web GUI
If anyone can help me with these, I'd really appreciate it  :angel:

There's a new firmware image created by Howlingwolf which fixes the save config button and a few other things. You can find it here:- http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13130.msg247661#msg247661

Also there's nothing wrong with the new blob used in this image. It's the new bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP06 firmware (different blob) which appears to have a problem, but even that only appears to be affecting a small number of people.

Telnet listens on it's default port so if you've got access to the web interface, you should have access to telnet as well. If not then it might be the windows firewall on your pc stopping it.

I don't know how to alter the web interface timeout or even if it can be altered. Asbo or Wolfy could probably help but Asbo's been AWOL for a while now and Wolfy's gone dark again.

You can find the log settings and display under Maintenance but I don't know if it includes firewall alerts. If it does then it's probably only in routed mode, not bridged.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 09:58:56 PM »

I don't know how to alter the web interface timeout or even if it can be altered.

Please take a look at one of Asbokid's earlier blog postings. In particular --

ATP> display timeout
timeout value of current client is :5 minutes.

ATP> set timeout 60

ATP> display timeout
timeout value of current client is :60 minutes.

Time for another quick cat-nap.  :sleep: 
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

RobertBuroman

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 11:21:05 PM »

I thought that was just for telnet.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 11:24:07 PM »

I thought that was just for telnet.

Perhaps you could test, please? Then we will know, for sure.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 11:32:19 PM »

There's a new firmware image created by Howlingwolf which fixes the save config button and a few other things. You can find it here:- http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13130.msg247661#msg247661

Also there's nothing wrong with the new blob used in this image. It's the new bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP06 firmware (different blob) which appears to have a problem, but even that only appears to be affecting a small number of people.

I would recommend the unlockedgui version of Wolfy's firmware - from the 'Experimental' area of the download site you linked to.
That's the version I have been using reliably for quite a while now.

RobertBuroman

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 07:46:13 AM »

I would recommend the unlockedgui version of Wolfy's firmware - from the 'Experimental' area of the download site you linked to.
That's the version I have been using reliably for quite a while now.

That's the one I've been using. I've had no problems but some people are reporting a problem with UDP so I'd like to avoid giving the nay-sayers any more ammo.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 08:21:18 AM »

I'm one of those who had a problem (although I'm not a 'nay-sayer'). In my case I'm using the HG612 as a modem/router on an ADSL2+ connection, and the problem probably relates to the routing functions, so it's not relevant to those using it as a modem only.
  Eric

Stilez

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 12:54:29 PM »

Quick update before the weekend (it's a busy day, and I want to thank for help). So this is "pseudo-random order".

The crucial help was RobertBuroman's link to HowlingWolf's new firmware, and that's a huge thankyou, Robert! It did fix the download config button (I had to hard reset or reboot or default config it or power cycle, to get that to happen, thanks for the tip BritBrat!).

That also means, if I didn't want to use Wolf's FW or I get issues in future, I have options and workarounds. I can switch to any other firmware, list my desired changes, and either (a) flash Wolfs FW, change, save, revert to preferred FW, or (b) manually edit the saved XML config now that I have at least some reasonable saved config as a starting point, since "upload config" was working anyway, or even (c) use the squashfs webGUI unpacker/repacker to compare the GUI side and see if I can manually add the "save config" fix to the old FW.

I can't say on under 24 hours how Wolf's FW would perform in continual daily use. So far no issues and looking very good. I tested with parallel ISO downloads (streamed files) and massively seeded random torrents (random packet data) and with both, I'm getting the maximum my line will support even with fibre terminating almost 1/2 a mile away (~ 40 down, router+windows both reporting 4.9-5.0 MB/s sustained) with it, and the main router reports almost no packet loss even under those loads (was always a few % under ADSL), and low latency (6.5ms). But it's too soon to tell anything about stability, UDP or other issues.  Telnet see below. The GUI seems fine except for one minor quirk:

On the other issues - Telnet seems "odd". It was inaccessible, and then later became accessible, under the firmware I (and BritBrat) first referenced, but I don't know what made the difference - not firewall on the client for sure. Then when I switched to Wolf's firmware it's stopped working again and I haven't got in since. I am not sure that's anything to do with Wolf's FW or not though, since it wasn't consistent on the other FW either and I don't know what factors affected it.  Login timeout not played with yet so no idea if it's telnet only timeout, or GUI too. I wish it was clearer if ":5" timeout was intended to mean 5 seconds or 5 minutes! Haven't looked for Firewall log yet but my back-end router handles that for the LAN, so this would just be covering connection attempts to the HG612 itself.

So thank you, all, so far!  That's where it is at for now. It is good enough to consider "can allow to bed in", rather than "OMG must fix". Have a good weekend/week!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 01:24:34 PM by Stilez »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 02:55:39 PM »

The GUI seems fine except for one minor quirk:

The unlabelled tab is for BT Agent. This has been removed, but the empty tab remains.
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2

anything