Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: (Not) Smooth as silk on Sky, read on...  (Read 13285 times)

Ends well...
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2013, 02:24:16 PM »

I'm going to call it closed on this install/fault for now and I'm going to pick up one of these faceplates next year and have a look at it.

Sky have been spot-on in terms of support but as we're not into the official self install for another 8 days then that may well change. For now they did better than Be and Zen when I had problems so they do deserve a +1 from me - which is a rare thing these days :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: (Not) Smooth as silk on Sky, read on...
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2013, 06:58:00 PM »

Glad for you that it was sorted so promptly :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2013, 07:21:47 PM »

They did a good job and I doubt anyone here would be unhappy with a callback on time within 6 hours of initial fault report and a BTOR SFI bod on your doorstep inside 72 hours - I turned down the Saturday appointment so it could have been less than 24 hours.

Sky get a lot of stick which largely isn't justified IMHO. Main problem they have is that they can't tell who you are (usually) on the forums so it turns into forum ping-pong rather than anything sensible. That makes them look like idiots - which in some cases is a justified assessment of some of their "social media" team. May just be me though as I have been hit with the banstick once over there by someone who no longer works for them ;)

Phone up 9-5 and things just get sorted IME. Outside those hours I'm sure kitz has a virtual cat you can stroke to make you feel better :P
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 07:29:07 PM by rizla »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2013, 11:25:01 AM »

of course zero FEC is perfectly normal for fast path lines, is your line fast path?

rizla regarding disposable income, I have always had the view the poor rely more on the internet (and tv) and as such they spend more of their income on media type services including the internet eg. they may get the top tier VM package just so they can torrent all day avoiding having to buy movies/games.  There does seem to be a priority attitude shift between different income groups , nearly all the wealth people I know are using talktalk as their isp because they cheap and go for the cheapest packages.  Yet they think nothing of going on multiple expensive holidays every year.

Also braunstone and glenfield both got FTTC late.  The first areas in leicestershire to get FTTC were the outlying villages and towns such as narborough, rothley, mountsorrel etc.  Then 'much' later after those was the 2 city exchanges and finally last was braunstone, glenfield, new parks etc.

Notice most of the early nationwide FTTC rollout was rural.  The rumours were the reason urban and suburban were late was they were originally going to get FTTP.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 11:40:34 AM by Chrysalis »

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2013, 12:55:27 PM »

Going off-topic here but WTH :)

This isn't just about VDSL....

Braunstone & New Parks got ADSL nearly 2 years before Glenfield. Back then ADSL install cost £150 and the cheapest service was £50/month with a 12 month contract. Now if you are seriously trying to tell me that the average council sink estate dweller (remember Braunstone/New Parks still have >40% unemployed) could afford to pay £750 for the first year of ADSL service 13 years ago then I'm afraid we're going to have to agree to differ. Also Sky, Be, TalkTalk (C&W as was) all had much much faster equipment in the exchange several years before BT did anything about it. Again, the sink estates got that first.

The real answer may be something the BTOR guy said - Glenfield is the last of the Leicester "city" exchanges in terms of BTOR organisation. To those wondering WTH I am on about, Glenfield is not in Leicester, its in Leicestershire and apparently the county & city exchanges are run by seperate teams, with Glenfield being the "red headed stepchild" as it ends up having people from county and city working on jobs because it has some properties in Leicester city and some in the county - the exchange is most definitely physically in the county rather than city. However the Glenfield exchange comes under the control of the "city" team.

Anyway the big winner out of all of this is Virgin who have been the only option for "superfast" for years. BT made their own bed etc....
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 01:03:00 PM by rizla »

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2013, 12:59:36 PM »

of course zero FEC is perfectly normal for fast path lines, is your line fast path?

You didn't read the thread before posting did you? Usually best to do that before replying I find  ::)

"He re-ran the test and got one FEC but that was probably one of the kids turning on the light/extractor fan in the bathroom."

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2013, 07:23:54 PM »

I did, want to post something you feel I didnt read?

I did read that one FEC comment, but you havent stated if you on fast path or not, my guess is you on fast path (never heard of a line with that high attainable been interleaved) and there really was no FEC error.  He either seen a CRC and said it was FEC, or he was wondering what to do and pretended he got a FEC error.

I wonder if you had the same guy that attended my property, he also was only interested in FEC, and not interested in much else.

My sister lives in glenfield when I visited her on boxing day she was telling me about her adsl cutting out, the sky splitter was 'before' the dsl filter, guess what? the openreach engineer put it like that saying it has to be in that order.  These guys seem very undertrained.

you got a DS margin of over 20db US margin of over 14db, and I am to believe the line is bad enough to need forward error correction? sorry no, conclusion = clueless engineer sorry.

also make your mind up, one minute you talking about vdsl rollout and the next you not.   The vdsl rollout didnt resemble the adsl rollout.  Plus if I was openreach I also would have prioritised both new parks and beamount leys over glenfield.  As one reason wealthier people are richer is they tighter with their cash.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 07:30:28 PM by Chrysalis »

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2013, 06:38:56 PM »

Its interleaved and I don't know where you have dragged the hole called Beaumont Leys from?

Glad you have no input to the process or we'd all be paying for benefits claimants having VDSL2. I guess you work for the council, if you work at all.

Edit - someone from TBB who saw this thread has just told me who you are :lol: I won't be wasting my time with you again. My apologies to mods for the way this thread has gone, was intended to be a "Sky FTTC self-install" thread. Delete/mod what you want, shame it went this way.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 08:01:01 PM by rizla »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2013, 08:37:37 PM »

Happy new year to both of you.

Leave it there please.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2013, 11:36:48 PM »

I wonder if you had the same guy that attended my property, he also was only interested in FEC, and not interested in much else.

I had the same with one of the OR guys, which turned into a disagreement because he insisted CRCs weren't important as they auto-corrected..  He insisted that it was FECs that were the ones to look out for and the important ones indicating something was wrong with the line.   Because Ive heard this several times now from various sources, I really am beginning to think something is going wrong some where with the BToR training on the difference between CRCs and FECs.  He didnt get it that I was on 80/20 and wasnt interleaved therefore I shouldnt be seeing FECs.

TBH rizla I doubt that your line is interleaved if you are syncing at the full 80/20 and seeing latency of 7ms.

That said..   adsl has 2 transmission channels (or paths) FAST (path 0) and INTERLEAVED (path 1).   Interleaving and Error correction are also two separate processes and although error correction is normally switched on at the same time, it is possible to send data down the interleaved channel setting the interleaved value at '1' and error correction switched off..  in effect making the interleaved path the same as fast.   From what Ive seen BT seem to be doing this, leaving the FAST channel for IPTV  type traffic...   its more apparent if it was a BTr customer with BTvision and you could see on their IPprofile... 2Mb of it was sectioned off for IPTV.

My line isnt interleaved yet traffic appears to be going over the interleaved path with a depth of '1' and '0' INP.   Despite this I very occasionally will see the odd FEC recorded.   There is a plausable expanation why this can happen, but just right now I cant recall the details & technology of what makes this happen on the fly & out of the blue.

Anyhows Happy New Year everyone :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2013, 11:26:02 AM »

Its interleaved and I don't know where you have dragged the hole called Beaumont Leys from?

Glad you have no input to the process or we'd all be paying for benefits claimants having VDSL2. I guess you work for the council, if you work at all.

Edit - someone from TBB who saw this thread has just told me who you are :lol: I won't be wasting my time with you again. My apologies to mods for the way this thread has gone, was intended to be a "Sky FTTC self-install" thread. Delete/mod what you want, shame it went this way.

oh dear, you have really let your prejudice take over yourself here havent you.

But to satisfy your curiosity.

I dont live on a council estate.
I do work.
I dont work for the council.
I dont have a sense of entitlement over others just because I may have more money than them or because I work.

BT are a business, they rollout where they think they will get best return of their cash, so I think poorer people will spend more on broadband and hence that may be why poor areas get a rollout and suddenly I have a fetish for benefit claimants?  Unlike yourself BT dont care where their customers get their money from.

I will understand if kitz and co moderate my post as its now way off topic.

Back on topic, you could have stated your line was interleaved although that is highly unusual for a line of your length and I would expect very soon for it to revert to fast path if it hasnt already.

But my point remains on engineers looking for FEC errors.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 11:52:23 AM by Chrysalis »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2013, 12:38:50 PM »

Happy New Year to all kittys  :)

I have been keeping a close eye on my FEC errors this last month and can confirm the high FEC error count impacted my line more than the CRC's, though what I noticed when there is some kind of interference internal & external the FEC's go high so it's a good way of seeing noise on the line for Interleaver's.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2013, 12:47:32 PM »

Happy new year guys, but I best stay out of this thread from now on seeing as I am useless.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2013, 02:28:11 PM »

I am not happy at the way the thread has degenerated.  Those that have been around here long enough should know that theres a certain mentality which I dont like about certain other forums.

I dont like it when things get personal.... and even I could also take it as such since I have a friend who lived in Braunstone who works for the Local Authority.  Ive stayed there several times not even realising it was supposed to be some sort of trash estate because the house was their own and all the friends and neighbours were so nice.  Both she and her hubby (who works in IT) are hardworking honest people who give a lot of their spare time for free helping local kids organising events for them etc.  We should not tar all with the same brush.

Its also not a good time to sing praises of Sky to me...  because atm my daughter is having a down-right appalling time with them.   They have one week to sort it, before I take over and report them to OFCOM because they certainly are not abiding by regulation and the (non)service she has had over the past 6-8 weeks is diabolical.  She works during the day and its cost her a fortune in (mobile) phone calls yet still they do stuff all. 

Im locking this now and suggest that everyone takes a breather whilst I get out the virtual wine and wish EVERYONE all the best for the new year.   :congrats:
-----
Pages: 1 2 [3]