Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: (Not) Smooth as silk on Sky, read on...  (Read 13283 times)

(Not) Smooth as silk on Sky, read on...
« on: December 19, 2013, 03:11:55 PM »

This is a copy of a post I made to Sky forums :

--start

Someone asked me to post how I got on with my ADSL->VDSL ("fibre") self-install move so here we go :

6/12/13 - ordered the 80/20 service via phone;

10/12/13 - letter arrived with install date of 19/12/13;

12/12/13 - router arrived;

19/12/13 - first blip offline at 13:50, line went dead at 1400, line still dead at 1415 so I went down to the cabinet to chat to the Openreach guy. I'm the first one on the cabinet and he had to go back and forth to exchange checking just to be sure he'd done it right as its the first one he's done where he can't test using the JDSU from the premises. Nice guy and I've seen where he's put the pair (top right with a lot of space to the side) so looks good for minimising xtalk in the PCP. Poor sod lives where I used to, no FTTC and the lines are rubbish.

Went back home and line was sync'd at 80/15 which didn't look good. Speed looked awful (75Mbps d/s, 4Mbps u/s) so I disconnected MER and rebooted the router.

Stats after reboot look better :

D/s rate 79987
U/s rate 20000
D/s atten 14.7dB
U/s atten 0.0dB
D/s margin 19.7dB
U/s margin 21.21dB (looks like a dodgy value to me)

UK speedtests give 75Mbps+ downstream and 18.5-19Mbps upstream with latencies varying from 9 to 16ms.

Only worry really was some call from Sky that the callblocker rejected (shouldn't have, you guys have pressed the right button to get through before) - was wondering if that was a "your order is delayed".

--end

So for anyone worrying about Sky being useless, then they can actually do things right. I think the key is not to phone up asking about dates, the ones in the letters are always correct. If you phone up then you run the risk of someone messing things up, then (AFAICT) everyone plays "pass the parcel" with the problem.

The SR102 router did require a reboot however after being connected on ADSL and then moved to VDSL to get a normal upstream sync.

First on the cab, things can only get worse from here - "nice" thing about these (rubbish) Sky routers is you can't get near the extended linestats in any reasonable way so I just don't bother monitoring it now  :lol: If I have problems then I'll deal with it then.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 11:00:05 AM by rizla »

BritBrat

• Kitizen
Re: Smooth as silk on Sky, but read on...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 03:21:57 PM »

I was on Sky ADSL2 for quite a few years until I just switched to BT.

And you know how that went  :(

I would go back to Sky again no problem.

Once you get a BT support who speaks English (hope thats not racist) things get sorted.

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 03:47:18 PM »

With Sky the key is being able to phone up between 9am and 5pm IMHO. If you can do that - not always easy - then you don't get the runaround IME.

We'll see how it goes - this is on a c2001 vintage ADSLv1.0 socket BTW.

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 04:42:38 PM »

Ahhh its never going to be this good again - insanely low ping (8ms average no traffic) and its like a LAN for most things.

Really nice to see it all the same, guess I have to hope the FTTC cabinet (2x140 pair feeds in PCP, must be 288-port FTTC cab?) has the cpu for all of this when it fills.

7ms ping to Tranquility (Eve Online) - that's insane  8)

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 04:51:13 PM »

Stop drooling.  :) :lol:

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 06:35:10 PM »

It gets worse (in terms of drooling).

Currently have a 6ms ping to forum.kitz.co.uk

I wish I still did twitch gaming  :lol:

Edit - anyone googling in future on PCP32 on the EMGLNFI exchange, well read it and weep, you'll never see ping times like this again unless you're first on your ISP  8)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 06:41:30 PM by rizla »

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 06:53:49 PM »

Thought I would see what I get:

Pinging forum.kitz.co.uk [185.24.98.37] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 185.24.98.37: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=46
Reply from 185.24.98.37: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=46

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 07:58:51 AM »

Spoke too soon :(

There's a fault somewhere - line desyncs when the phone is off the hook (fine when it rings). Removed ADSL v1.0 faceplate, plugged into test socket and swapped out microfilters, no difference. Currently trying to find some old wired phones just to rule everything out but I can't see that being the problem.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 08:06:54 AM »

I  guess you have put a dangly filter in the very internal test socket and connected the modem through that.

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 08:28:08 AM »

Yes, also physically disconnected the one extension running from there. Can't find these old phones - driving me crazy as I know I saw them somewhere in the last couple of weeks.

Its not going to be that though - I think the Openreach guy is going to have to revisit his cab work and check again.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 08:36:48 AM »

Can't find these old phones - driving me crazy as I know I saw them somewhere in the last couple of weeks.

I had same thing, asked  wife if she had seen it "NO"

Turned up in garage where she put it.

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 08:40:41 AM »

Zoe (17070 on Sky) says she can hear echo and some noise so I reckon the Openreach guy has introduced a fault when crimping/punching connections in the cabinet. Will give Sky a call in 30 minutes or so.

Edit - yeah there's a 3dB change in noise margin when the phone is off the hook. He's spannered it at the PCP is my bet.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 08:49:25 AM by rizla »

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 09:36:19 AM »

Service tests passed but he could see zero sync during the test so it has to be authorised by the Fibre Customer Solutions people who are supposedly calling back between 2-3pm.

Line desyncs when the phone goes off hook, resyncs during the call (at the same speed) then desyncs when the phone goes back on the hook.

Hmm the upstream margin drops to 6.6dB when the phone rings and then gradually increases to 10dB when left ringing. Goes back to the (slightly suspicious IMHO) "normal" margin of 22.22dB when phone stops ringing. Edit - actually it increases back to 22dB if you leave it ringing for 20-30 seconds.

This is a HR fault I reckon - been running some more tests and the upstream margin will drop to 6dB, then as the call continues the margin gradually increases back to 22dB. Hangup and the upstream margin drops to 3dB and gradually increases back up to 22dB.

Edit - Nothing else it can be really, line doesn't desync on incoming calls as the margin is 6dB (presumably due to current already flowing), does desync (then resyncs) when phone is taken off hook to make call as the margin goes to 2.2dB then gradually increases back to 22dB (without dialling). OR bod needs to go remake his connections I reckon as that's the only thing at the PCP which has changed in the last 11 years.

Makes no odds whether there is actually a phone connected or not in terms of the margin changes when receiving a ring signal.

If anyone can think of anything else that its likely to be then I'd appreciate hearing it :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 10:05:50 AM by rizla »

Re: (Not) Smooth as silk on Sky, read on...
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 12:13:26 PM »

Not sure I understand this one at all.

I have now removed all telephony equipment, physically disconnected the one and only extension and am connected directly into the test socket without a filter - mainly so nobody tries to use the phones, this connection has been up and down more times in the last 24 hours than in the last 2 years and DLM will have its revenge.

Removing the filter* has increased the downstream noise margin from 19.7 to 23.1dB and has taken 1dB off the d/s attenuation. Seems like rather a large increase in margin to me but I've never tried a router straight into the test socket so who knows? Tested incoming calls like this and seems to stay up OK although the u/s noise margin still drops alarmingly.

Nothing else I can do, I've even been naughty and gone into the back of the master socket just to make sure that the A/B screws hadn't worked loose over the years. They hadn't and nor is there any sign of condensation/moisture.

Two wires into the house wired directly to router, no filters, no telephony stuff, only thing I haven't checked are the gel crimps where the old master used to be but I can't see that being the issue as they are in the backbox and not external - if it is them then its on BT's side of the demarkation line anyway.

Got to be some connection made/broken yesterday when I was switched to VDSL.

*tried 6, they're not faulty

BritBrat

• Kitizen
Re: (Not) Smooth as silk on Sky, read on...
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 12:31:59 PM »

I feel for you as most of that sounds like how I started, but it will get fixed. So dont be to down on yourself.
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything