Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Running Ethernet Cable...  (Read 15153 times)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Re: Running Ethernet Cable...
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 06:57:30 PM »

PoE stands for Power over Ethernet...

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 06:58:17 PM »

Am I right in saying that power over ethernet isn't going to cause ADSL interference like powerline adaptors do?

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 07:17:01 PM »

PoE is a 12/24Vdc supply on 100Mbps so it won't interfere with anything. Range is 30m from point of injection.

As to why? Well the typical house in the UK has wooden floorboards so putting the router AP high up is the easiest way to get the best coverage. PoE allows you to shove some cat5 into the loft and wire it to the access point (mounted on a ceiling upstairs) without messing with wiring/PSUs in the loft space. Cable, two screws for AP, everything else at main switch.

Edit I wouldn't put any kit into the loft Alec, if that's the plan. Gets too hot unless you've had a conversion done.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 07:21:42 PM by rizla »

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 07:18:49 PM »

What about Gigabit ethernet, will it work with that?

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 07:21:06 PM »

No.

It needs the spare pairs for the dc supply so its only really useful for <100Mbps stuff.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 07:23:02 PM »

I guess the cheapest way to do this is going to be getting a long spool of ethernet cable and terminating it myself?

Don't use plugs to terminate permanent cabling. Use sockets with IDC connectors, and short patch cables to connect the equipment to the sockets.

RJ45 plugs are intended to be used with flexible cables, not solid core cables.
  Eric

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 07:25:57 PM »

No.

It needs the spare pairs for the dc supply so its only really useful for <100Mbps stuff.

How's this device work then: http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=145_TPE-113GI

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 07:26:33 PM »

I guess the cheapest way to do this is going to be getting a long spool of ethernet cable and terminating it myself?

Don't use plugs to terminate permanent cabling. Use sockets with IDC connectors, and short patch cables to connect the equipment to the sockets.

RJ45 plugs are intended to be used with flexible cables, not solid core cables.

Thanks Eric. How am I going to do this though, if the wires only run a long the wall/around door frames and never actually go in behind the wall?

Edit: Also, going by this route, I assume I run a patch cable to the PoE inverter, that then connects to an IDC socket, from that socket, the cable goes and connects to the switch?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 07:30:17 PM by AlecR »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 07:37:09 PM »

I agree with Roseway, don't run the cables under carpets, sooner or later you will start getting problems when the cable gets damaged. Also avoid very tight bends, that can damaged the cable. Also don't run the network cable parallel with mains cables, try to keep a good distance of separation. That said I've not aware of any problems with my network and some cables have had to run with or near power cables.

For termination use the proper back boxes, with face plates and RJ45 modules, and blanks to suite. If running along the wall you can break out the side of a surface mount patrice box for the cable to enter.

Have you got floor boards or concrete floors? A lot of houses which have floor boards often have space underneath to crawl through, not a nice job but will allow you to run the cables wherever you like downstairs, and probably a suitable location to get upstairs.

I've attached a picture of my 'server room', all my cables were run in as I renovated the house, although I only run one per room, have had add some more since. I still also have one length running externally, although the replacement cable is coiled up behind the settee in the lounge, one day I'll get around to running it around the rest of the room to the media PC.

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 07:42:03 PM »

No.

How's this device work then: http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=145_TPE-113GI

POE can operate using 'phantom power' whereby a steady state voltage is applied across an existing differential sgnalling pair, that works fine on gigabit.  There is no reason it should have any detrimental effect on performance.

I considered it, as I fancied being able to put IP security cameras around the place and POE would have made it easier.  But there are several incompatible standards in use, and the bits weren't cheap, so I decedided to defer it until (if ever) a real need arises.   No need has arisen so far.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 07:42:54 PM »

No.

POE can operate using 'phantom power' whereby a steady state voltage is applied across an existing differential sgnalling pair, that works fine on gigabit.  There is no reason it should have any detrimental effect on performance.

I considered it, as I fancied being able to put IP security cameras around the place and POE would have made it easier.  But there are several incompatible standards in use, and the bits weren't cheap, so I decided to defer it until (if ever) a real need arises.   No need has arisen so far.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2013, 07:44:26 PM »

For termination use the proper back boxes, with face plates and RJ45 modules, and blanks to suite. If running along the wall you can break out the side of a surface mount patrice box for the cable to enter.

I thought of this just after I'd posted my comment :) .

Have you got floor boards or concrete floors? A lot of houses which have floor boards often have space underneath to crawl through, not a nice job but will allow you to run the cables wherever you like downstairs, and probably a suitable location to get upstairs.

Concrete floors unfortunately :(

By the way, your server room looks very nice; it's very 'clean' looking.

PoE would be an ideal solution, but apparently it only works up to 100Mb speeds? How come one can buy a Gigabit injector then? Edit: sevenlayermuddle types faster than me ;D .

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2013, 07:47:02 PM »

No.

I considered it, as I fancied being able to put IP security cameras around the place and POE would have made it easier.  But there are several incompatible standards in use, and the bits weren't cheap, so I decedided to defer it until (if ever) a real need arises.   No need has arisen so far.

And I assume it won't cause any ADSL interference like our existing powerline adaptors do?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2013, 08:37:49 PM »

No.

And I assume it won't cause any ADSL interference like our existing powerline adaptors do?

It's a DC voltage so no reason at all it should interfere.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2013, 09:22:11 PM »

Where's a good place to buy a longth length of ethernet cable then. Cat 5e or Cat6? We're going with Gigabit...
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything