Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Adsl problems  (Read 2969 times)

Slippery

• Just arrived
Adsl problems
« on: December 09, 2013, 12:40:35 AM »

Hi wondering if you can help,
My connection is used during the day for work and at night for gaming, so with that in mind we went with BT business.
We had the connection enabled to fast path after the initial settling in period. The problem I have is that the speed and the line profile keeps getting lower and lower (only 300 or so yards from the exchange)
Tech support have offered various Ideas which I have tried, filter, master socket ,new cable, different routers nothing fixes it.
A engineer called Thursday the 5th plugged in his machine confirmed the low speed said line was ok. he then got the profile re-set to 15mbps.
Time of writing mon 9th I am now running at 4mpbs  with at times 10 -98% intermittent  packet loss .
The packet loss seems to happen around midnight onwards I have my wireless off all other pcs off and it still happens ? Tried different pc;s incase of a infection and at this time of day still get intermittent packet loss. The connection otherwise is ok nice low pings and surprisingly no actual disconnects?
BT say something my end is causing the speed to be blocked and gna send another engineer to re check my connections again!!(pinging the router from all machines is 0ms btw )
Does anyone have ideas as im feeling a bit fobbed off
Thanks for taking the time to read.
Im rly not technically mind so any help offered needs to be basic,
Oh im currently using Draytek vigour 2820 router

The black Mamba

Re: Adsl problems
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 11:11:58 AM »

Hi Slip
As your problem is after 2400 hours do you have off peak heating or lighting in the area that could be on.
Check with your next door neighbour if they have the same problem or people around the Exchange 300 yard radius.

Regards. Phil

Slippery

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 08:24:16 PM »

wow thanks wouldn't have even considered the heating^^
Have checked with a few neighbors today but they are either on fiber or a interleaved connection, I seem to remember the boiler affecting free view will check it out.
If it is the boiler how do I stop it
Thanks

The black Mamba

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 09:42:34 PM »

Hi Slip
Please prove it first it is the boiler, is there any other Equiptment in your home like dishwasher washing machine that is on a timer .

Regards Phil Elisha.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 10:06:42 PM »

A way to test if external interference is causing your problems is the use of an AM (medium wave) radio.

Tune it to around 612Khz during a time when you are not having any problems.  Keep it away from the computer/monitor/TV sets while you do this.

Ideally, when tuned in , you will hear more or less nothing except a bit of hiss / the odd click.

Switch the radio on in the evening BEFORE your ADSL problem begins, and listen.  When the packet loss problems begin, does the sound from the radio change?

(keep the radio a reasonable distance from the computer - you WILL hear noise if its too near, regardless).

I get occasional problems from external interference, it manifests once a week or so for a few hours, and appears as a loud buzzing noise around 612Khz on my radio.  At other times this frequency is silent (or occasional very distant foreign stations at night).

If you DO detect interference on the radio, you can then use it to walk around your house / nearby area and see if it is louder at any particular place, which might indicate it's source.

I found a failing PC power supply causing me problems, and a few months later, a cheap external power supply for a USB hard disk also causing interference and knocking my ADSL out.  Switching these off silenced the interference on the radio and after a reboot, my ADSL packet loss disappeared. 

Ian

Slippery

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 09:24:47 PM »

Thanks for your reply's,

Dont think its the boiler, I have been trying to force the problem using the thermostat but no joy :(
Will look into the radio thing see what happens thanks :)

UPDATE !! Called tech support while having 78% pckt loss, it lasted long enough for them to test the line (23mins) and they finally  found a fault !!!
Hasn't gone any further yet will update as and when.

Slippery

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 12:10:16 AM »

Another engineer out to us this Monday, currently running at 4 meg, 3rd time lucky I guess ??