Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Number porting - HELP!  (Read 4340 times)

Berrick

• Reg Member
Number porting - HELP!
« on: November 27, 2013, 08:58:12 PM »

Following on from my post here http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13247.0

I now find that BT have screwed me again  >:(

I need to keep my VoIP telephone number and when I took advantage of the "free" upgrade to FTTC found out after the fact that my VoIP service was cancelled without my authorization and contrary to the letter and phone I made telling me my T&C's wouldn't change.

BT although telling me they couldn't add new users to this VoIP service did offer to cancel my FTTC order and re instate my VoIP service but couldn't do this once the FTTC was installed (IF they can reinstate the VoIP for ADSL why not when FTTC was installed?? VoIP is protocol dependant).

Any how, long story a little shorter, I found out during all the calls I made trying to sort out this mess that there was little point re instating the old service as BT are canning the BBtalk service early next year regardless (I'm guessing cause they aren't making enough money. Only get charged for the calls)

So I explained to BT keeping the number was my primary goal and in light of the fact the VoIP service was going to be cancelled that I would go ahead with the upgrade and port my number. They told me there should be no problem porting.  :-X  :flypig:

Well what a surprise, the company trying to port the number has tried several times but get the same response “no service with the losing party”. This is because the line is not active, ceased be BT without authorization. The number has been confirmed by BT to be available and there are no reasons why the number port shouldn't go through.

Accept (from what I'm being told) BT insist that number port requests going through an automated portal. This portal does various checks and if any fail so does the request. One of the checks it carries out is to see if the number is allocate an active line. Mine isn't because BT ceased it.

So, number porting,can the request be made manually, someone speaking to someone else. Is there another way to get this number ported. any help would be most appreciated.

O! the only suggestion I asked BT which should work was to get another line installed and allocate the number to it then port it to VoIP. No guesses who would have to pay for this though :wall:
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Number porting - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 09:24:44 PM »

What a mess  :'(

Years ago when there were problems with the porting of landlines and LLU, OFCOM got involved and for a while actually acted as a go between to get numbers re-instated after certain ISPs highjacked land lines.

They used to have a lot of info on their site, It may be worthwhile dropping them a line asking for advice?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 09:26:39 PM »

Maybe a move to a new V.O.I.P. provider like SIPGATE, who I understand will port your existing phone number at no cost to you. Also I think you will find the firm very cost effective and reliable. I have using that firm for years now................. 

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 09:32:24 PM »

This portal does various checks and if any fail so does the request. One of the checks it carries out is to see if the number is allocate an active line. Mine isn't because BT ceased it.

I think this is going to be a major issue where-ever you go.  I still cant quite understand why they can re-instate to adsl but not once the fttc order has gone through.   Im also wondering if a letter to some-one high up in BT may also be able to do something.  I'd still try OFCOM though for advice.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 10:45:46 PM »

Thanks for the replies.

• I am trying to use a new VoIP service it is them who are have the problem porting the number.
  • I did email someone high up, very high up and their complaints department have been in touch but even they seem tied and unable to sort such a little issue
  • spoken to OFCOM, they said to tell BT i'm putting in an official complaint

Does anyone know if I have a cooling off period for FTTC? I could then cancel the FTTC, get ADSL back  and re instate the VoIP. I have got to the point were I feel like being as bloody awkward as possible.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 11:15:19 PM »

lol I was going to suggest that, but didnt know if you could.

Searches are a bit woolly.

You have a statutory right to cancel your agreement with BT Payment Services Limited ("BTPS"). That cancellation right will expire fourteen calendar days beginning on the day after you make your first payment as described in paragraph 1. You may cancel by writing to us at BT Payment Services, c/o Bridge Court, The Close, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE1 3BA, by emailing us at residential.services@bt.com, or by sending a fax to 0208 8109192. If you cancel but have already asked BTPS to process a payment on your behalf, for example by making a payment, you must still pay the fee for the processing of that payment. If you do not cancel this agreement, it will have effect until it is terminated.

Cancellation

You may cancel your agreement for the service before the service start date set out in the service terms. If you do so we will not charge you for the service.
    You may cancel your order for any equipment we have provided to allow you to use the service or for any other equipment you have requested, up to 10 calendar days after we deliver it. If you cancel any order for equipment within this period, you must return it (undamaged and in its original packaging), following our instructions. We will refund anything you have already paid for the equipment. If we have to collect the equipment we will charge you our reasonable costs for doing so. These rights are in addition to any other statutory right you may have to cancel your agreement.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentFooterPopup.jsp?pagecontentfooter_popupid=13408

-----

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 10:40:25 AM »

BT are absolutely useless.

I would have thought that somewhere within BT someone/department would have the ability to deal with a manual request to port a telephone number. The executive customer complaints department can't and have rejected out of hand any suggestions I have made to find a way to associate the number with a live line so it can be ported, saying "it is not possible"

IT's even more frustrating as they have admitted that BBTalk can be re activated but wont do this as I'm on FTTC which "is not compatible" with BBTalk, which is so not true!  :shrug2:

The only way it seems this could have worked would have been to cancel the FTTC upgrade and roll back onto ADSL (apparently not possible now).

Unfortunately for me when I discussed my predicament with BT executive customer complaints department, and prior to agreeing to continue with my FTTC upgrade, they failed to mention, even though they where fully aware I needed to port the number and this was my intent, the small but significant fact that I wouldn't be able to do this if i continued the order as the number wouldn't show as "live".

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 04:55:28 PM »

Set out in writing (ink and paper / parchment) exactly where / how Beattie has failed you and the restitution that you require.

Sent it, recorded delivery (to be signed for), to --

BT Group plc
81 Newgate Street
London
EC1A 7AJ

Nothing is impossible. The negativity you are receiving from her (Beattie) is purely down to numpties attempting to "be superior than thee" and to cover up the endemic corporate incompetence.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 08:53:41 PM »

I am sure if people in BT could issue a circuit advice for records purposes only, with no billing, to temporarily re-provide your old ADSL circuit, then port your VOIP number, then cease the ADSL circuit again. It only takes a bit of initiative by BT staff I am sure........

anything