Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Solar roadways  (Read 2873 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Solar roadways
« on: May 27, 2014, 10:28:22 AM »

This is a very interesting concept.

I wont hold my breath for the technology actually being used by highways as yet.   When governments are strapped to find cash to fund the laying of fibre nationwide, I hardly see them being able to fund replacing motorways - never-mind the disruption it would cause.   

However, I do like the idea it can be used for carparks, driveways and the additional feature of embedded LEDs make it a brilliant idea for runways and in parks & sports centres.  That could be a start.

See what you think and how practical it would be.

[youtube]qlTA3rnpgzU[/youtube]

More info : Solar Roadways

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Solar roadways
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 10:51:23 AM »

Trying to ignore the intensely irritating presentation, it does look very interesting. I didn't get very far through it before giving up, but I agree with your comments, that it's a great prospect for everything apart from roads. Maybe new roads and resurfacing jobs could be an opportunity, but it obviously depends on cost.

Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 02:34:52 PM »

Trying to ignore the intensely irritating presentation, it does look very interesting. I didn't get very far through it before giving up
That's what I did before reading your comment  :D

-----------------------------------------
May be they could run some of these along the solar roads  ;)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27587558
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 07:45:57 PM »

Sorry but I just couldn't listen to the presentation.

That said, from what I understand, a couple of things spring to mind....

Per energy from the motorway network:  rather than lay solar panels under the road, would it not be better to just lay them on the embankments?   I'd be surprised if either approach were economically feasible, but solar panels in the tarmac would surely be far more costly, and wear out sooner?

Per heating & de-icing:  Surely any road surface already acts as a natural energy storage device, heating up in the daytime and cooling at night.  If the Solar Roads are more effective at staying frost free, it may imply they are just better insulated, to avoid energy-loss into the road's foundations.  So the same effect could be achieved through new construction techniques with a thermal insulation layer.   Almost certainly not viable economically, but still cheaper than solar panels.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 02:35:49 AM »

Yeah, the presentation isnt good

Theres another one on the main site that doesnt do so much of the "solar freakin roadways".

May be they could run some of these along the solar roads  ;)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27587558

Yeah I saw those earlier on the news..  they are so weird looking... and not sure what to make of them re safety.. 
...  but iirc they did mention that type of vechicle in one of the presentations (cant recall which now and its way to late for me to watch them again).

Per energy from the motorway network

I dont see how it would be financially viable anyhow... or who would fund such a vast network of roads... its a nice thought..  but Im unsure if it could become reality.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 07:57:15 PM »

It does seem a rather good idea, though on a busy UK road, I wonder how much time the panels will get exposed to light vs being underneath slow/static traffic?

Has anyone seen the LED cats eyes in roads?  There's some on several sections of different road near me.  I assume they're solar powered, they're out in the countryside on unlit roads, so their probably isn't a convenient power source.

They're far superior to the usual kind, as they show the road further ahead of you than your headlights can, and you can spot curves very easily indeed.  They also look eerie in the rear view mirror, glowing away behind you!

Ian

anything