Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hoping for FTTC but confused about cabinets  (Read 13174 times)

wytco0

Hoping for FTTC but confused about cabinets
« on: November 25, 2013, 10:48:32 AM »

I have checked my phone number and its shows that I am connected to Cabinet 11 at my exchange (Costessey in Norfolk) however there are 2 cabinets called cabinet 11 and I am about the same distance from both of them, I don't know which one I am connected too. One of the cabinets has recently be joined by a nice shiny new FTTC cabinet but the other has not and there have been no signs of anything happening with it.

I have been in touch with NGA but they seem to have stopped providing any useful information and take 15 days to respond so they are of no help.

BT OpenView checker does say that I will be able to get VSDL in March 14.

Does BT Openview have some way of linking the old cabinets together or to a single FTTC cabinet? and is there anyway of know for certain which cabinet I am attached to?

Thanks

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Hoping for FTTC but confused about cabinets
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 01:35:00 PM »

There will only be one cabinet 11 for your exchange, I suspect the number on one them has  faded.

Easiest way to find out which one your connected to is to use the BT wholesale checker, but use the address checker option.  Now enter just the postcode for a house near to either of the cabinets. You can get a postcode from the post office postcode finder facility.  Now submit the page on the checker and it should give a drop down list of all addresses in that post code. Select one and check the cabinet number, if it's the same as yours see what the speed estimate is, if it's close to 80 then you know the address is very close to the cabinet.

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 06:19:00 PM »

@ wytco0,

Just to add a bit more to Ronski's excellent answer; the fact that you are provided with the date of March 2014 is good news, at least in part.

It's as near as you'll get to a guarantee that you will eventually get a VDSL FTTC service, but it's quite possible that the date will slip initially by three months and then possibly by one month every month until suddenly you will see "Available". On the other hand you may be lucky and get an available date slightly earlier.

Another clue will be provided when you see larger BT Openreach vans pulling the empty sub duct into the sections between road or pavement covers. These sections are then connected with joiners similar to garden hose joiners. After that you will probably see another group blowing the fibre into the subduct. E.g.

http://www.ewhurst-broadband.org.uk/?p=2846

Finally you will often see a single BT van parked for several hours making off a fibre joint.

We also have single cabinets in that condition too, but we have others where the FTTCabinet is installed but no forecast date is entered. In these conditions, the cabinet itself may well be finished but it lacks the vital fibre cable to a working distribution node (or aggregation point as BT sometimes call it). We assume that the date will be after March 2014 which is as far as BT seem to predict at present.

Lastly I do not believe that BT will ever interconnect two PCPs to provide VDSL services to both. Apart from the significant work involved FTTC's don't usually have even the capacity to provide for anywhere near the full compliment of twisted pairs in one PCP. In any case you would not expect anywhere near 100% take-up (unless you are in Lancashire in the B4RN.org.uk area where they have already had a few areas at over 90% take-up).

Kind regards,
Walter

wytco0

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 11:22:50 PM »

There will only be one cabinet 11 for your exchange, I suspect the number on one them has  faded.

Easiest way to find out which one your connected to is to use the BT wholesale checker, but use the address checker option.  Now enter just the postcode for a house near to either of the cabinets. You can get a postcode from the post office postcode finder facility.  Now submit the page on the checker and it should give a drop down list of all addresses in that post code. Select one and check the cabinet number, if it's the same as yours see what the speed estimate is, if it's close to 80 then you know the address is very close to the cabinet.

Well I was originally told there were 2 cabinets called Cabinet 11 by an BT Engineer, I didn't know about the second one so I had a look and they definitely both say 11 on them. I have looked at the checker and it just say cabinet 11.

I have just checked Google Streetview and you can see both cabinets and their numbers:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=nr8+5df&hl=en&ll=52.663453,1.215554&spn=0.001484,0.004128&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=11.852959,33.815918&hnear=Costessey+NR8+5DF,+United+Kingdom&t=m&layer=c&cbll=52.663453,1.215554&panoid=qg6UaImS04xOW0uFNqqQFQ&cbp=12,285.7,,0,17.49&z=19

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=nr8+5df&hl=en&ll=52.664717,1.21923&spn=0.001484,0.004128&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=11.852959,33.815918&hnear=Costessey+NR8+5DF,+United+Kingdom&t=m&layer=c&cbll=52.664656,1.21917&panoid=q8gUjUqhtuDDxNcy6ozMGQ&cbp=12,275.9,,0,12.52&z=19
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 11:29:48 PM by wytco0 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 12:38:29 AM »

Granted, when looking at those Street View images, one can see the number 11 marked on each cabinet. Although they are both of the same era, the first is a single door cabinet whilst the second is a double door cabinet and the latter has had its right-hand door replaced. I suspect that is the source of the confusion.  ???

My predication is that the double door cabinet is not number 11 and it is this double door cabinet that has been given a new FTTC.

The only way to be absolutely sure would be to enter the known telephone numbers of two separate properties, which are adjacent to each of those two cabinets respectively, into the BT Wholesale Broadband Checker and compare the results. One will show cabinet number X whilst the other will show cabinet number 11.

Without disclosing any private information, through which one of those two cabinets do you think your line is connected? Would you be able to trace the route from your property? Is it an aerial or an underground D-side feed to the DP?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 06:30:03 AM »

You could always email, BetterBroadbandforNorfolkProject@norfolk.gov.uk

They will be able to find out for you.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 07:16:38 AM »

Looking at your map and using the following addresses, picked due to their location next to the cabinets give:

94 The Street, 80/20 estimate cabinet 11  PCP (Primary Connection Cabinet)
2 St Edmunds Close 55/18 estimate cabinet 11 SCP (Secondary connection cabinet)

Even Carrs Hill Close is served by cabinet 11
It's entirely possible that the cabinet opposite St Edmunds close is a secondary PCP

The Harte Pub is served by PCP 4

wytco0

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 10:30:15 AM »

Granted, when looking at those Street View images, one can see the number 11 marked on each cabinet. Although they are both of the same era, the first is a single door cabinet whilst the second is a double door cabinet and the latter has had its right-hand door replaced. I suspect that is the source of the confusion.  ???

My predication is that the double door cabinet is not number 11 and it is this double door cabinet that has been given a new FTTC.

Actually the new FTTC Cabinet is next to the single door Cab 11 its about 30 meters away though, is roughly next to the lamppost in this view. https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=nr8+5df&hl=en&ll=52.663243,1.215295&spn=0.001484,0.004128&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=11.852959,33.815918&hnear=Costessey+NR8+5DF,+United+Kingdom&t=m&layer=c&cbll=52.663243,1.215295&panoid=5JTy_jsPDKklsnwrPs8PrQ&cbp=12,333.74,,1,21.35&z=19

The only way to be absolutely sure would be to enter the known telephone numbers of two separate properties, which are adjacent to each of those two cabinets respectively, into the BT Wholesale Broadband Checker and compare the results. One will show cabinet number X whilst the other will show cabinet number 11.

Yes I don't have phone numbers but I did a similar check to the one that Ronski did below and both showed as Cab 11.

Without disclosing any private information, through which one of those two cabinets do you think your line is connected? Would you be able to trace the route from your property? Is it an aerial or an underground D-side feed to the DP?

I really don't know as I am in the street and about the same distance from both cabinets.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 10:32:46 AM by wytco0 »

wytco0

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 10:31:06 AM »

You could always email, BetterBroadbandforNorfolkProject@norfolk.gov.uk

They will be able to find out for you.

Yes they were very helpful and gave me better info than NGA although not the cabinet details.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 02:57:35 PM »

@wytco,

I should have mentioned SCPs (Secondary connection point).
These are usually ignored by BT but you can get a VDSL service even if you are connected to the SCP as your line is then routed to the PCP and can be interrupted at that point just as if you were directly connected.

This assumes a standard connection method as used in Surrey, but perhaps BS can tell us if there are ever any unusual configurations.

Kind regards,
Walter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 04:14:23 PM »

A SCP would normally be marked with the number of its parent PCP, followed by a solidus and a number that relates to how many SCPs are connected to the parent PCP.

In the example images, attached below, the PCP (numbered 3) has (at least) two SCPs (numbered 3/1 & 3/2) . . .
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 04:19:51 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 04:34:45 PM »

Somewhat OT, but I hope not too much. I pass two PCPs that are pretty well in sight of each other. The roads about are served by those cabs (8 & 12) yet there are established roads close to one of the cabs, that seem not to be able to get fibre. However starter homes on ex pub lands on the other side of the road can.

Strange, but it is BT! ;D
 Attached map.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 06:46:15 PM »

A SCP would normally be marked with the number of its parent PCP, followed by a solidus and a number that relates to how many SCPs are connected to the parent PCP.

In the example images, attached below, the PCP (numbered 3) has (at least) two SCPs (numbered 3/1 & 3/2) . . .

We've got a few what I presume to be SCP around here, but none are marked with anything.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 11:34:51 PM »

Ronsk's first advice was excellent.

Put in address in BT wholesale checker.  It will know which cabinet you on and tell you estimated data, if it brings up FTTC info then it would seem you on the good cabinet 11.

wytco0

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 10:33:52 PM »

Looking at your map and using the following addresses, picked due to their location next to the cabinets give:

94 The Street, 80/20 estimate cabinet 11  PCP (Primary Connection Cabinet)
2 St Edmunds Close 55/18 estimate cabinet 11 SCP (Secondary connection cabinet)

Even Carrs Hill Close is served by cabinet 11
It's entirely possible that the cabinet opposite St Edmunds close is a secondary PCP

The Harte Pub is served by PCP 4

Um I am a bit confused, maybe I am using the wrong checker as when I enter my address it just says cabinet 11, I don't get anything about PCP or SCP.

I am using this one https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html and then selecting address check
Pages: [1] 2

anything