Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Doing not bad, these days  (Read 2451 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Doing not bad, these days
« on: November 30, 2013, 11:21:47 AM »

Just thought I'd boast, I seem to be enjoying a degree of good fortune with connection speeds, these days, betwixt 4.5 and 5mbps, rock solid stable, with 55dB attenuation.   :graduate:

This morning…

SNR (dB):       6.7             17.0
Attn(dB):       55.0            31.5
Pwr(dBm):       19.6            12.1
Max(Kbps):      5056            912
Rate (Kbps):    4672            448

ES are not bad either, about 10 per hour on averaged over 24 hours! If I reconnect in afternoons I get over 5mbps, which it holds onto overnight too.  But I prefer to force it to connect in hours of darkness, settling for a more pessimistic speed, but less risk of instability &  DLM interfering.

With connections of 4.5-ish, I've not seed SNRM drop below 5dB at any hour of the day in recent weeks.  Target margin has been 6 dB for as long as I can remember, so DLM seems happy too.

One recent difference that I can think of is a neighbour, who shares a cable duct through my garden, has not been using DSL at all for a few weeks.  And an OR engineer spent some time in the garden a few weeks ago on another line in that duct, but it wasn't by my line he was fixing.

Whatever the reason, I ain't complaining  :)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Re: Doing not bad, these days
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 01:44:41 PM »

Looking very good!

Is this a TalkTalk line by any chance? We're migrating on the 6th and if so, I hope your good DLM experience rings true for us!

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 04:35:49 PM »

Looking very good!

Is this a TalkTalk line by any chance? We're migrating on the 6th and if so, I hope your good DLM experience rings true for us!

No I'm with Demon, so it's BT's 20cn DLM.  And DLM has not been all good...

...I got caught out several years ago (it is what brought me to the kitz forums) by the '10 resets in an hour' mistake when I was experimenting with the effects of various wiring changes, and got stuck on 15dB for months, and month, and months, and months.  Avoid that, at all costs.   ;)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 06:35:53 PM »

That was the reason I left an excellent ISP to migrate to TalkTalk. It was a lot cheaper of course, but my real reason was to escape from BT's DLM. And I haven't regretted it.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 09:23:48 PM »

The ability to have DLM consigned to the litter-tray was a plus-point for me, when I was making a choice of CP/ISP.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 10:11:58 PM »

As mentioned in opening post, my 55/56dB connection seems capable of breaking the 5mbps barrier, and holding on overnight.   I'd love to put it to the test by leaving it there for a few days, long enough for IP profile to catch up, that would be satisfying indeed. 

But experience has taught, one does not want to risk any increase in error rates that might attract the attentions of BT's DLM.   Last time I got 'clobbered' I did in fact find what appeared to be a way of taming it, by adversely tweaking margin to reduce connection speed and create the illusion of an ultra-stable line, normality was restored within just a few weeks.  But better just to steer clear if you can.

Sadly, I can find other and unrelated negative things to say about TT, mainly regarding customer service, but the world is never perfect. :(