Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: FTTC Ordered  (Read 30543 times)

Re: FTTC Ordered
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2013, 07:52:41 AM »

I think, with a little bit of guidance, any Kitizen would be capable of performing a standard FTTC self-install.  :graduate:

;D your counting down the days until Fibre becomes EU Installable that's not to far away   ;)

Its effectively here - on Sky at least as all they now offer is self-install for FTTC.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2013, 08:23:05 AM »

I wonder if it was a proper Openreach technician who performed the installation?  :-\

Nope Kelly Comunications I think.

I would turn away any numpty sent from either Kelly Communications or M J Quinn and insist upon the attendance of an appropriately qualified Black Sheep Openreach employee.  >:(

I am  next time.

Still no change.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 08:35:01 AM by BritBrat »

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2013, 08:46:01 AM »

I think, with a little bit of guidance, any Kitizen would be capable of performing a standard FTTC self-install.  :graduate:

Don't you have to have access to the fibre cab and make connection changes?

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2013, 11:36:40 AM »

I manged to get the HH5 to connect for a short while, and BT support say thier is a small fault on my line.

See speed test with just hub 5 below.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2013, 05:31:21 PM »

OMG I can't believe this, I just had a phone call and a BT engineer is comming out tomorrow. Yes on a Sunday.

Said it was not a contractor and a BT enginner as only BT work on weekends,

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2013, 06:38:31 PM »

OMG I can't believe this, I just had a phone call and a BT engineer is comming out tomorrow. Yes on a Sunday.

Great News :clap:, he should be able to fix it. look forward to seeing your IP profile after the engineer visit is completed.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2013, 10:37:32 PM »

:fingers:

Don't you have to have access to the fibre cab and make connection changes?

Not in the "fibre cabinet", just the PCP.

In the PCP there will be a set of tie-cable tails (from the fibre cabinet) and a link connecting the pair in the D- & E-side cables together. That link is removed, the pair in the D-side cable is connected to the D-side tie-cable and the pair in the E-side  cable is connected to the E-side tie-cable.

So yes, an engineer is still required but s/he does not have to attend the EU's premises. In other words a FTTC self-install will be similar to how an ADSL2+ service is now provided. (Somebody, somewhere has to adjust some jumpers!)  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2013, 11:47:49 PM »

I have just noticed  that if I use the phone the modems DSL light goes off and then tries to reconnect, no phone use it stays on for hours.

Makes me think the line is wired wrongly, I have no other devices apart from phone on the line and that has had the filter removed as it should not need one now.

JUst did a test and put a filter back on phone line but it still takes the DSL conection out.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 11:53:43 PM by BritBrat »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2013, 12:42:27 AM »

I have just noticed  that if I use the phone the modems DSL light goes off and then tries to reconnect, no phone use it stays on for hours.

Makes me think the line is wired wrongly,

The line to the house is wired correctly (external), from what you have described it looks like star wiring (internal) fault, The OR engineer should be made aware of this issue during there visit as who knows what way Kelly communication Plc have wired you to the Master Socket.   

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2013, 01:05:27 AM »

There  was nothing wrong with my wiring before and it is not star, it is wired from master socket to extension and next extension.

I know I wired it ages ago and all the wiring code and pins are as BT stated back then.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 01:14:09 AM by BritBrat »

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2013, 03:37:56 PM »

In contrast to this, we cannot wait for Hants County Council to FTTC our local cabinet (should be sometime in 2014, hopefully earlier rather than later).

The extra speed would be fantastic for our home: we often use streaming services simultaneously, we download large files often and we also play computer games, often on one of our two Xbox 360s.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2013, 06:12:02 PM »

Never turned up and no communication.

Now does that surprise me?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2013, 07:27:58 PM »

Never turned up and no communication.

Now does that surprise me?

TBH I have never seen any OR engineers working at any PCP cabs in my area during the weekends, it's always mon - fri 8am to 4pm  ;)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2013, 07:52:33 PM »

I have had exactly one OR broadband engineer here on a Saturday, but I believe the appointments are either very rare or get taken up very quickly.

Therefore, I am not really surprised. Sorry :(.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2013, 01:05:14 PM »

RESULT

Just had an openreach enginner fix the problem, turns out is was a face plate faulty.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8