Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: DSLstats v4.2 released (updated to v4.21)  (Read 12223 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DSLstats v4.2 released (updated to v4.21)
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2013, 01:04:35 PM »

Two minor issues:

1) Under Bitswaps per Tone, horizontal compression doesn't "stick" between restarts.

2) Under Stats, attenuation is blank.

1) I see that it's saved but not restored after restart. I'll fix it in the next release.

2) What modem/router do you use? If you look at Telnet Data --> Connection Stats, do you see attenuation reported?
  Eric

Mark1

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2013, 02:50:13 PM »

1) Sorry, I didn't explain properly. :blush:

If horizontal compression is set to 3, on program exit and restart it is still set to 3 but the graph is now displaying as if set to 1. The first pic is after program exit and restart, the second pic is as it should be.

2) Modem is HG612. Attenuation is reported in Telnet Data --> Connection Stats
Code: [Select]
Down Up
SNR (dB): 6.0 6.0
Attn(dB): 24.1 0.0
Pwr(dBm): 10.8 -0.4
However in Stats, attenuation is blank.
DSLAM/MSAN type: IFTN:0xb203 / v0xb203
DSL mode:        VDSL2
Uptime:          1 day 2 hours 27 min 17 sec

Downstream Upstream
Attenuation (dB):       
Connection speed (kbps): 38649 6877
SNR margin (dB):        6.0 6.0
Power (dBm):            10.8 0.4
Interleave depth:        757 1
INP:                    3.00 0

RSCorr/RS (%):          1.7979 0.0347
RSUnCorr/RS (%):        0.1565 0.0000
ES/hour:                2.57 2.99

Actually, that attenuation figure is meaningless anyway?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 03:08:07 PM by Mark1 »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2013, 03:30:42 PM »

1) Sorry, I didn't explain properly. :blush:

If horizontal compression is set to 3, on program exit and restart it is still set to 3 but the graph is now displaying as if set to 1. The first pic is after program exit and restart, the second pic is as it should be.

That's OK, I did understand. When you restart DSLstats the value in the spinedit box is restored, but this isn't propagated to the graph itself. I've located the reason and it's fixed now.

2) I'm not sure about this at the moment. If the value is reported in the connection stats output, then it should also appear on the Stats page. I use an HG612 myself, but on an ADSL2+ connection, and the attenuation values are copied over as they should be. So something isn't quite right. I don't know if the figures are meaningless, but the upstream value of 0.0 is obviously not correct.

[Later] I've now checked this, and the zero upstream value is the reason the attenuation values aren't being reported in Stats. I left both values blank if one of them was zero. I've now modified this check, so the values are always reported unless both of them are zero.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 10:44:38 AM by roseway »
  Eric

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2013, 07:29:14 AM »

Hello Roseway!

Only just noticed the the categories snapshot save doesn't actually work.

I can not get the the configuration to save automatically (it saves upon start or exit? I've tried stopping as well).

I tried looking for the option in the DSLStats config file and couldn't find the option to enable it either.

[snapshots]
Snapshotdir=C:\Users\Ryan\AppData\Local\dslstats\
Dateorder=1
UseHoursperpage=1
Hourspersnapshot=1
SNRsnapshot=1
Speedsnapshot=1
Bitsnapshot=1
CRCsnapshot=1
FECsnapshot=1
ESsnapshot=0
SNRptsnapshot=0
ExpBitsnapshot=0
Swapsptsnapshot=1
Swapspmsnapshot=1
QLNsnapshot=0
HLogsnapshot=0
ConnectionStatsText=1
SNRText=0
BitloadingText=0
pbParamsText=1
QLNText=0
HLogText=0
AttenuationLogText=0
AverageErrorsText=1
TrafficText=0
EventlogSnapshot=1
CustomCommandsSnapshot=0
SnapOnExit=1
Daily folders=0
LogNumber=47
DeleteOlder=0
Olderthan=7

I don't believe it's there but I might be blind! :D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2013, 08:05:35 AM »

Only just noticed the the categories snapshot save doesn't actually work.

Yes, you're quite right. The option does work if it's enabled, but it isn't saved to the ini file, so you have to re-enable it if you restart DSLstats. Sorry about that. :-[

It will be fixed in the next release.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2013, 10:30:11 AM »

Eric for some time now I'm getting zero byte files created with the following name Custom-2013-11-30-08.28.16.txt, I guess this is because I have my custom commands set to display on the event log, I would have thought that if display on event log was set that either the data would be copied to the file as well or simply not write the file!

Also not everything which is created is being deleted after 7 days (the time I have set). I had hoped that all files older than the time set would be deleted.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2013, 11:53:01 AM »

Stuart, I'll take a look at the unwanted custom command files. This isn't an area I've given much attention to, but I'll sort it out. Can I assume that it would be OK simply to not write those files when the event log option is used?

At present, what should happen with the auto-deletion of snapshots is that, if you use the Daily Folders option then the entire folder should be deleted, but if you don't use those folders then only .png files are deleted. The reason is that there may be other files of various kinds in the top level snapshots directory, and sorting out which files to delete and which to leave got rather complicated.

Now that there's another option of category folders it's become more complicated still. I need to give this some proper attention, but at the moment it's not high on the priority list.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2013, 02:06:39 PM »

Stuart, I'll take a look at the unwanted custom command files. This isn't an area I've given much attention to, but I'll sort it out. Can I assume that it would be OK simply to not write those files when the event log option is used?

At present, what should happen with the auto-deletion of snapshots is that, if you use the Daily Folders option then the entire folder should be deleted, but if you don't use those folders then only .png files are deleted. The reason is that there may be other files of various kinds in the top level snapshots directory, and sorting out which files to delete and which to leave got rather complicated.

Now that there's another option of category folders it's become more complicated still. I need to give this some proper attention, but at the moment it's not high on the priority list.

Eric re the custom files yes not writing them if set to use the event log is fine, now I realise I'll untick saving them which will resolve it. I must admit I'd forgotten to do that.

Now I understand how the daily log file folder works I'll use that instead.  I've just looked at the docs and it makes it clear there what happens. As to the future I'm not sure what to suggest with categories, although deleting ALL files older than N days in a category should be fine in my view as long as it is documented. These folders are after all DSLStats folders and should only have DSLStats files contained therein.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2013, 04:20:41 PM »

Thanks Stuart

Eric re the custom files yes not writing them if set to use the event log is fine, now I realise I'll untick saving them which will resolve it. I must admit I'd forgotten to do that.

Yes, that should deal with it, but in any case for the next release I've disabled the saving of the custom commands text when the event log option is chosen and also greyed-out the option to snapshot that text.

deleting ALL files older than N days in a category should be fine in my view as long as it is documented.

Yes, but the category folders are only created as needed, so I also need to identify which folders have to be searched. Of course it can be done, and I'll do it when time permits.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 04:23:47 PM by roseway »
  Eric
Pages: 1 2 [3]