Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wireless Problems with Sky Hub - Tried Everything - Help  (Read 3193 times)

jay1986

• Just arrived
Wireless Problems with Sky Hub - Tried Everything - Help
« on: November 16, 2013, 12:46:18 PM »

I am having a lot of problems with my Sky Broadband.

I was with Be Broadband previously for 3 years and never had any issues with connection or wireless. Since joining Sky in August I have once again had no connection problems until 2 weeks ago.

Since 2 weeks ago my connection has continuously been dropping out and I am receiving very slow speeds. When I say dropping out it connects occasionally but will continue to disconnect (every 15-30mins).

When it is connected the speeds are very slow. I normally get 5-6MB and I am now getting 0.5MB-1MB at the most. Videos will barely load, download speeds are down to 40-50k. Making it virtually unusable.

When connected via Ethernet on my laptop the connection seems stable and the speeds are faster (4MB-5MB).

The problem is on all devices when connecting wirelessly (pc's, phones etc.)

I have spoken to Sky several times and been through all the troubleshooting options.

I have tried virtually every Wireless Channel available and none improve the issue. I've downloaded inSSIDer to see what other channels are being used and made sure I've tried others.

I have reset the router several times.

My router is plugged in to the test socket via a filter.

The lights all remain a steady white.

Telephone line works ok.

Although I have 2 other extensions, since these problems begun they have not been in use.

Sky have sent me a replacement router (I also changed the micro filters) which strangely worked like a dream for about 24-48 hours and it's suddenly gone straight back to the same issue. Slow speeds and intermittent connection.

The router sits where it always has since August (and where my previous router with Be sat for 3 years), there are no new devices around it which I can think of that could be causing an interference.

Disabling security seems to make the connection faster. Download speeds go from 0.8MB to over 4. Web pages loading much quicker etc. But obviously this is neither a permanent or safe fix. Anyone know what that could point to?

OpenReach engineer came out (have no idea why as this seems to be a wireless issue). No faults found on the line.

I'm at a point where I'm just thinking of buying a better router.

Latest speed test wirelessly: 0.5MB, via ethernet 5MB

Anybody willing to advise what else I could try here?

JGO

• Reg Member
Re: Wireless Problems with Sky Hub - Tried Everything - Help
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 01:36:36 PM »

Jay,   It looks as if your WiFi path is cluttered with reflecting oddments so if you could see it waves would be bouncing all over, looking like  a trick Snooker shot !.

I've explained this at greater length in another thread recently
see http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13219.0
 but it seems to me you have two choices.
1) use Ethernet for the connections and forget the problem (and security worries)
2) get hold of a more directional aerial
this will give you an idea
:=
http://helix.air.net.au/index.php/d.i.y.-2.4ghz-helical-antenna/
 (most suitable for a single, long link.)

I aerials can be bought, but in some of them IT people are being "clever" and going for null steering, which is OK if you know how many interfering reflections you need to null !

Hope this clarifies

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 09:19:16 AM »

Hi Jay,

Whilst reflective signals can be an issue as JGO mentioned from my experience I have only really encountered this in narrow hall ways and corridors where these types of areas can "contain" due to reflecting the signal.

I know you say you have done a lot and used inssider but before looking at the potential issues which are less likely, especially as this problem has only just started, here are a few suggestions

• Make sure the router isn't close to other electronic devices such as TV's, sat receivers etc
  • This point is generally not practicable with AP in routers but when deciding on the site for the AP you should always have in your mind that the AP is the center of a sphere and the outer limit of this sphere is the theoretical  maximum distance (approx 300 feet in clear space) from the AP where you can receive a signal. Also bear in mind everything that the signal has to pass through will either attenuate the signal to a greater or lesser extent or contain it if for example you put the AP in a metal box.
  • 2.4Ghz can be a real pain as the 2.4 Ghz bandwidth is used by just about every un licensed wireless device you can buy and they are al sources of interference, for example cordless telephones, microwave ovens
  • I dont know this router but in the config many will have a page which shows what devices have associated with you WiFi. If you have this option have a look in there and make sure you are the only one associated
  • Can you post an image of the inssider screen this may help
  • HAve you tried another Wireless device in case it is this that is the problem
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 11:01:13 AM »

Do you have another router you could try? (Your old BE one)

Details of getting your details can be found here:
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/extracting-sky-router-passwords/
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 11:04:30 AM by BritBrat »

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 12:01:35 PM »

Can you try moving say the WiFi equiped Laptop  nearer the modem ?
This would increase the WiFi signal if the modem is dying of old age and also change any reflections not necessarily for the better.   If nothing changes significantly then it looks more like something at the modem.