Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sudden jump in sync speed. Weird SNR.  (Read 4554 times)

DeadMan

Sudden jump in sync speed. Weird SNR.
« on: November 15, 2013, 05:34:05 PM »

OK for many months DLM has told me I am good for only 64-65/18-20. I was getting speedtests of around 58-59/17-18 depending. Suddenly I am synced at 71404/19999 with an DS SNR a little over 3 (could this have anything to do with the new crosstalk thingie - I forget the name - on the cab discussed of late?). My DS interleave has actually gone up too. Oh and the attainable rate is now much higher than it was.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Sudden jump in sync speed. Weird SNR.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 06:55:05 PM »

Did you force today's resync yourself (at around 14:00)?
It does seem an unusual time for DLM to kick in as it normally does that in the early hours (between 04:00 & 06:00).

If not, perhaps DLM has been monitoring your connection since the modem's firmware was updated (was that a couple of weeks ago?) & has seen that the revised band plans etc. would allow higher sync speeds & resynced the connection accordingly?

Do you have a record of the stats from the resync?

DS SNRM currently looks quite steady at around 4 dB, but I'm not sure that can be sustained for too long before DLM decides to increase SNRM back to around 6 dB, at which time your DS sync speed & Attainable rates are likely to be lowered (to some extent).

DeadMan

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 10:44:12 AM »

No I did not resync manually it's what it did. Stats are above during the resync unless you are after something else? DS SNR is now 3.8 and US 6.7 which I never get so something must have happened to the line and/or firmware.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 10:49:23 AM »

if it resynced itself "upwards" my guess you got swapped to a different tie pair at the cabinet.

Another possibility is that a "disturber" line has been disconnected and that was my first thought but would that cause your line to automatically resync, shouldnt do.

3rd possibility your line settings got changed and it resynced initiated by the dslam but seems a odd time of day to occur.

I dont think its vectoring.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 09:09:47 PM »

if it resynced itself "upwards" my guess you got swapped to a different tie pair at the cabinet.

Another possibility is that a "disturber" line has been disconnected and that was my first thought but would that cause your line to automatically resync, shouldnt do.

3rd possibility your line settings got changed and it resynced initiated by the dslam but seems a odd time of day to occur.

I dont think its vectoring.

I am sure that's what the engineer did to me over two weeks ago but that pair is now cross talking and my Attainable Rate shot up at 13:20 so it do's not have to be a resync in early hours
it can occur when Engineer is at the Cabs in the afternoon.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 07:25:49 AM »

yeah a possibility is that if there is lines connected in the cabinet, DLM tells the dslam to reduce power cutback on connected lines initiating a resync, but thats a complete guess.  No idea if DLM is monitoring that sort of thing. 

DeadMan

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 11:09:10 PM »

Why would the SNR margin be lower though? I thought it was fixed at 6+ and it always has been up until now since I joined 5-6 months ago. I am currently on a DS SNR of 3.7.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 11:54:58 PM »

Why would the SNR margin be lower though? I thought it was fixed at 6+ and it always has been up until now since I joined 5-6 months ago. I am currently on a DS SNR of 3.7.

well this is the way it seems to work at my end ->

before updates and Bandplans the Attainable Rate and Sync never changed much in 17 months so my SNRM was steady.

and after the update and Bandpland changes if my Hg612 sync's higher than 29700 Mbps my DS SNRM starts to drop below 5dB in the evenings if my Hg612 sync's at 28000 Mbps then the DS SNRM stays at very near 6dB 24/7.

But my problem now is the modem is seeing higher Attainable rates and if a retrain comes in it want's to sync at 29700 to 30000 before it was 28000 so I am in a loop here (lower SNRM swings and Higher Interleaving)

you could turn your modem off after checking the Net and your emails before going to bed and turn it back on in the daylight hours of the next morning.

Edit: what I am saying is to try to get a Sync of 65000 Mbps like you had before and the SNRM should go back to +6 dB
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 12:21:21 AM by NewtronStar »

DeadMan

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 11:49:40 AM »

I'm not complaining about having a higher sync and better DS speed. I'm just curious. I am not touching it unless I have to. So far it has not disconnected due to lower DS SNRM and my attainable remains higher. If I had no interleaving right now I could attain full DS sync! 71404 right now is good enough though. How long it lasts is another matter of course. ;)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 12:19:16 PM »

I am not touching it unless I have to. So far it has not disconnected due to lower DS SNRM and my

Quite right to, it's better just to let the DLM do it's own thing and see what happens over time.

DeadMan

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 12:25:40 PM »

I have another issue anyhow. I keep having to reboot my router (DLink DIR655) as my profile keeps getting messed up. Today Speedtest reported 54/1.6. After I rebooted the router it was back to 65/18 (or close enough to). The sync was the same it was just that something happens with my profile/speed that requires the router to be rebooted to get my full speed back.

Any ideas?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 06:02:33 PM »

:hmm:  Hmm . . . Is your service provided by Plusnet, perhaps?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything