Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Memory.  (Read 4851 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Memory.
« on: January 02, 2008, 11:39:47 PM »

Memory Cards.

Q1.Should any make still have the same pins configuration on the same type of card as an other make.?.

Q2.I want to replace a hard drive with CF (compact flash), as anyone done this?.

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: Memory.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 11:58:37 PM »

Q1 - yes of course... you may see some MMC cards with extra pins - I'm not sure what that's all about, but all other types of cards are the same no matter what make they are.

Q2 - never done this unfortunately... I know its possible though, something I've considered looking at for my smoothwall firewall at work actually. If I ever get around to it I'll let you know!
Chris

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 12:35:01 AM »

Q1 - yes of course... you may see some MMC cards with extra pins - I'm not sure what that's all about, but all other types of cards are the same no matter what make they are.

Q2 - never done this unfortunately... I know its possible though, something I've considered looking at for my smoothwall firewall at work actually. If I ever get around to it I'll let you know!

I have two SD cards but they are different, ones got an extra pin !, these are by different manufactures .

So before I get an CF card to put in my 'smoothwall firewall' I wanted to make sure I get the right one.
Links..
   http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=10309.

http://community.smoothwall.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25012&highlight=compact+flash+hard+drive
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 08:27:31 AM »

hi mike

Q1  all memory cards have a standard so they should all be compatible.  some cards look a alot like other formats so be sure you get the correct one.  mmc has 1 more pin than a sd.

Q2  when you say cf as a hdd, is this the bootable os hdd or a slave for data etc?

Paul

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 09:30:35 PM »

hi mike

Q2  when you say cf as a hdd, is this the bootable os hdd or a slave for data etc?

It's bootable and it holds the Linux kernel for the firewall .