Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Telephone Sounds from 1971  (Read 3818 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Telephone Sounds from 1971
« on: November 12, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »

I was looking for some youtube demonstrations on Raspberry Pi overclocking, and for some reason this was one of the recommended videos for me :

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYa9DPgWSk8[/youtube]

So if you'd like to hear someone narrate sounds that have been recorded from the UK telephone system circa 1971, in semi-professional audio quality (though with poor microphone placement in my opinion), this is your lucky day.   ???

Ian

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Telephone Sounds from 1971
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 10:43:43 PM »

Fascinating, thanks for that.

A lesser known fact about ring tones is that even today, for wired networks, they are almost invariably generated by the remote (called) exchange.   The reason for that is, there needs to be an instantaneous transition from 'ring tone' to speech when the called party answers.   If the called exchange had to signal back through all the intermediates, and tell the caller's exchange to stop ring-tone there might be a signalling delay, and so "Hello" might be truncated to "lo", or even just "".

I therefor find it comforting to think, should I ever be connected to an exchange that time has forgotten and retains early 20th century technology, I may actually hear one of these tones again.   :D

Doesn't apply to calling mobiles, where ring tone is usually locally generated, they don't want to waste precious airtime on tones.   That's why, when calling a mobile, you often do hear just "lo" or even "".

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 08:17:05 PM »

Ah, memories.   :)  Thanks Sheddy.

That inspired me to delve into the archives and find a C15 cassette I'd forgotten about.

When I realised that the last UAX13 in my patch (South West Midlands) was due to go digital in a matter of days, I took my cassette recorder and a decent stereo electret mic to Arley, NW of Kidderminster, on 29 April 1994. With strategic mic placing I recorded 15 minutes of the wonderful sound of linefinders, groups, finals, relay sets, meters etc for posterity.

The tape looks in good nick, but I'll hold off playing it until I find my Tuit Round 1A, and transcribe it to CD and MP3.

Time for a cold shower now......   ;)

To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 11:00:13 PM »

That inspired me to delve into the archives and find a C15 cassette I'd forgotten about.

When I realised that the last UAX13 in my patch (South West Midlands) was due to go digital in a matter of days, I took my cassette recorder and a decent stereo electret mic to Arley, NW of Kidderminster, on 29 April 1994. With strategic mic placing I recorded 15 minutes of the wonderful sound of linefinders, groups, finals, relay sets, meters etc for posterity.

The tape looks in good nick, but I'll hold off playing it until I find my Tuit Round 1A, and transcribe it to CD and MP3.

[Bellowed] Meow!  :D

[Translation] I'd like to hear that, please.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 11:18:10 PM »

I'll hold off playing it until I find my Tuit Round 1A

Will this one do?
  Eric

4candles

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 10:11:37 PM »

That'll do nicely thanks roseway.

Watch this space.... 

4candles

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 05:40:24 PM »

Update:

Three minutes audio now recorded as 5MB MP3 and 31MB WAV files.

I've only ever uploaded and shared with Photobucket. Anyone any experience of a good free site for sound files?

anything