Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: best way to report HR fault to BT :(  (Read 14857 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: best way to report HR fault to BT :(
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2013, 08:44:49 PM »

When checking for a suspected HR fault, I have been taught to connect my TDR to the end of the pair (temporarily disconnected from the NTE5/A) and "look" towards the exchange battery. From a mobile phone initiate a call to the circuit under investigation. As a result of the AC "ringing" voltage being superimposed upon the 50V DC bias of the exchange battery, any HR or semiconducting joint will reveal itself by a "movement" of the anomaly observed in the trace occurring in synchronisation with the "ringing" cadences.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2013, 08:46:39 PM »

It has to be frustrating to ISP customers when they can't talk to the people directly responsable for the upkeep and quality of ever line in the UK, and you want answers to what the problem is and would like it fixed yesterday.

I myself would like Openreach to be more accountable to every customer that use's there equipment instead of hiding behind ISP's and do think they provide a good service to ISP's but for the end user as in any business transparency works better for all.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 08:51:54 PM by NewtronStar »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2013, 07:29:13 AM »

When checking for a suspected HR fault, I have been taught to connect my TDR to the end of the pair (temporarily disconnected from the NTE5/A) and "look" towards the exchange battery. From a mobile phone initiate a call to the circuit under investigation. As a result of the AC "ringing" voltage being superimposed upon the 50V DC bias of the exchange battery, any HR or semiconducting joint will reveal itself by a "movement" of the anomaly observed in the trace occurring in synchronisation with the "ringing" cadences.  :)

thanks I will ask for this test if its not already carried out and the engineer says cant find anything.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2013, 01:51:59 PM »

Ok I dont want to flood kitz forums with new threads so will post this here, and may also post this in the new firmware thread or vectoring thread.

I flashed my modem today with the new firmware.  The one with btagent removed and gui added.

Made some graphs, and something interesting has come to light since these graphs now show upstream data I wasnt seeing before.

They show.

Upstream attenuation lower than adjacent downstream tones (BT artifically increasing my downstream attenuation?)
Massively lower QLN on U1 tones, easy to see why, see next.
Massively reduced SNR on U1, power cutback for sure.
SNR on U2 almost as high as end of D1.  Can clearly see my U2 has more snr than adjacent downstream tones.  This is even same QLN on U2 as downstream this is a reasonable indication the downstream has power cutback on it.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2013, 06:29:31 PM »

Just for curiosity, what do your bitloading graph & pbParams data look like for the same period?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2013, 07:36:15 PM »

I will post them but deliberatly didnt before as they are a way to get sidetracked.

Pages: 1 2 [3]