Author Topic: Li-Fi  (Read 2524 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Li-Fi
« on: October 20, 2013, 11:33:47 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24579776

This seems an interesting idea.

I can see our internet coming over the 240V mains in the future and then streamed to our devices by 'Li-Fi'     :idea:
Maybe Fibre is not the answer  :hmm:
One of the drawbacks: block the light and you block the signal, If more than one LED was used (maybe all the LED lights in a room for Li-Fi  ;)  )then this may cut down this problem.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Li-Fi
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 12:22:56 AM »

Thank you for the link.

:hmm:  Interesting but I think I'll wait a few more years and see what else is developed.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 12:29:01 AM »

Blocking of the light could be a major problem.  The article says its advantageous in that its an end to drive bys, but what if you wanted broadband in another room or even use your laptop in the garden, then you'd have to resort to a wifi unit surely.

Some aspects of this vaguely remind me of BPL broadband over power lines.  That did seem good in theory, but it never took off.  BPL could perhaps be a more realistic and at least current technology for remote locations. 

The technical aspects of lifi are sparse..  Is li-fi basically BPL with the LEDs providing the method of communication between the nte and the consumer device.  If so then I would imagine most home environments would not be suited to lifi.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 08:30:27 AM »

There is a detailed article in the IET's magazine this month on BPL over power lines (Nov ed p72)

Pretty well abandoned by everybody
Problems over getting "through" transformers on the power network requiring bypasses.
Only suitable for distribution over the low voltage network due to constantly varying resonance effects at high voltages of HV rated lines mean the cancelling out of the resonance effects on the ADSL signal is next to impossible.

Finally killed off by the bandwith/speed availability of modern ADSL coupled with rise in wifi/3g/sat' alternatives in those remote areas where BPL might have had a chance (such as ultra remote USA & Australia)

There were also suggestions and theory reported that there was a very high level of radio interference being generated by these installations - which were acting as radio aerials. It was reported that an experiment in Manchester ended up with the masts of street lamps acting as transmitters causing interference to the CAA, BBC World Service and implications apparantely for that senstive installation/HQ near Cheltenham.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 02:40:07 PM »

It was reported that an experiment in Manchester ended up with the masts of street lamps acting as transmitters causing interference to the CAA, BBC World Service and implications apparantely for that senstive installation/HQ near Cheltenham.

oh dear  :no:

Thanks for the update, I hadnt kept abreast of what was happening on BPL as everything seemed to fall very quiet, despite the theory being good.   
Its a shame in a way that it didnt work out, but I guess sometimes things dont work out when put in real world situations. :(

I still dont atm see any technology on the horizon better than WDM when it comes to bandwidth and speed.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker