Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: BT wins broadcasting rights for UEFA league football  (Read 5349 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: BT wins broadcasting rights for UEFA league football
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 08:31:35 PM »

My angst wasn't aimed at you 7LM, at all.  :)

Truth be known, I'm not a big football fan myself, boxing's my sport of choice ..... always has been.

smurfuk

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 11:22:23 PM »

I can't stand football and don't love BT either. But it seems darned good business sense to me, and BT's success seems to me to be a national success. Their profits are an investment which pays in part for our pensions and investments. At least it's a British company. Do we really think that China Telecom would run the national telecommunications network better, or invest more than BT? Or that the profits should go to China? (At least they will - shared with our French friends -  for the new nuclear power stations, I suppose).

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 07:51:54 AM »

Its ok BS, Ive changed the topic title. 
I fully realise you were passing on news thats given to you.  Thanks :)

---
BT do seem to think the sports/football thing is a major coup.* 
Me myself Im not interested in it, but I can imagine there are some that are.
Im glad that some other company is giving sky a run on what used to be their monopoly, but unfortunately the customer will end up paying somewhere along the line.

*When I phoned up BT to cancel my landline, as I was passed from pillar to post, every person that answered 'greeted' me with  "Welcome to BT, home of BT sport"

I am into football but the problem for BT is I am not interested in either EPL or CL football, CL sometimes but not enough to pay for it.

Before this raft of price rises I wasnt even considering moving my line rental, only maybe my broadband (for static ip and to get away from weird BT routing) now I am considering moving both, and there is several people on tbb who have confirmed they ditching BT also as a result.  The issue for me is this.

These football deals have coincided with BT's biggest price rises for 15 years, I dont think the two are coincidence, BT have made a concious decision to take on football as a means to gain and retain customers whilst splitting the cost across the major part of the customer base.  Charging for caller display to me is outdated and wrong, it was tolerable on the BT privacy deal but now as a fixed fee I find it unacceptable.  Also those who sign up to the year free caller display have 2 penalties.

They have to extend contract by 12 months and they become (possibly, not confirmed) not eligible for line rental saver.

Also I dont begrudge BT for this, I think the market has changed so that customers are attracted to TV and line rental seems to be where the profit is, so the business strategy now seems to be to use TV to get customers, whilst still increasing line rental every year, but broadband prices remain static as the headline price on the adverts.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 07:54:38 AM by Chrysalis »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 09:42:21 AM »

*When I phoned up BT to cancel my landline, as I was passed from pillar to post, every person that answered 'greeted' me with  "Welcome to BT, home of BT sport"

TBH, that's what still bugs me.

I supposedly live in such a sparsely populated part of the countryside that BT have ruled me out of not just fttc broadband, but ADSL2.   By sparse, I should qualify, I estimate there are over half a million population scattered fairly evenly around towns and villages in a 15 mile radius.   This is not exactly a Scottish mountain top.

Once BT finish the job we all thought they were going to do, of bringing the telecomms infrastructure up to date, they might want to diversify into other areas like sport broadcasting.  But to simply abandon the whole massive problem, and declare themselves to be 'home of sport', with no mention of their broadband failings, that does raise a grump. >:(
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 09:53:12 AM by sevenlayermuddle »
Pages: 1 [2]