Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: GPO FIRST BOX  (Read 11330 times)

Dont Panic

• Just arrived
GPO FIRST BOX
« on: January 02, 2008, 03:20:25 PM »

The cable from the bt pole arrives and is fixed at the front of my house  (no box i can see) do not know if the same cable runs down the side of house and enters the house
However the black cable arrives at the first box i can see,in the house, this is a small brown box with GPO on the cover.
The black cable has four wires orange white green and black
and three yellow hard springy plastic wire type (which i think are reinforcement wires)

Is this first box with GPO on cover classed as the master bt socket and what wire type should i use for connecting my box 15 feet away
 Barry

Dont Panic

• Just arrived
Re: GPO FIRST BOX
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 05:09:09 PM »

Edit i want to put a NTE5 master socket and cable after this GPO box any feed back (even the not sure type)
Barry

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 05:52:32 PM »

Isn't fitting a NTE5 still non-chargeable by BT? If it is then get them to do it.

Dont Panic

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 07:42:15 PM »

I have looked on the BT site and cannot find a single listing for NTE5
Does anyone know if BT charge for replacing the old stamped on the housing GPO box that the main incoming cable goes to ?

Or can i just wire a new NTE5 box to this old GENERAL POST OFFICE housing.

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 08:10:14 PM »

The GPO box will probably only be a junction box, not the master socket.

This is because all old style GPO jacks or hardwiring of telephones has been replaced with the modern BT plug and socket system in the early 80s. If your using a modern telephones with BT plugs then your wiring has already been converted in the past and so would be considered upto BT's standards.

I have not been around long enough to know the GPO stuff in detail, but it sounds like a block 52 which is simply a 4-way inline joining block. The white, orange, black and green wires are the usable wires in the external cable entering your home. The yellow wires are for strain relief.

From the GPO box you should be able to trace an internal cable from it to a socket which will be your master socket.

Anything up to and including an identifiable socket is the BT line and BT's property and strictly shouldn't be altered.

It seems that BT do not replace master sockets with NTE5 lineboxes for free. Some engineers do it if a fault has been reported as often they can get damp and corrode after ten or fifteen years. Your best to call 0800 800 150 and ask customer service about it.

Dont Panic

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 09:26:40 PM »

Thank you both for your help
 I now feel sure, that i will find a genuine  BT stamped NTE5 socket at the end of the wire ;)
Barry

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 09:38:12 PM »

Thank you both for your help
 I now feel sure, that i will find a genuine  BT stamped NTE5 socket at the end of the wire ;)
Barry

No problem, hopefully you will find something  ;)

Just don't be to disappointed if it isn't an NTE5.
You might find a really dinky little socket, a 68x68mm one or a 85x85mm one which looks like any other socket but will have the mastering components on the PCB.

anything