Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Firmware update to VDSL modems?  (Read 3693 times)

bhawkes

Firmware update to VDSL modems?
« on: October 27, 2013, 07:57:34 AM »

Does the fact that BT are apparently remotely updating the firmware to their supplied HG612 modems, possibly for upcoming vectoring, suggest that the firmware to other modems i.e. such as my FRITZ!box 7390 will also need to be updated?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Firmware update to VDSL modems?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 01:05:21 PM »

The HG612 firmware upgrade doesnt 'seem' to be related to vectoring, more to do with banding changes and locking out access.

As regards to vectoring, some of the router manufacturers already seem to be ahead of the game, I know when I looked at the specs on a vdsl modem/router the other day, it was listed vectoring in its features list.    One of the posters on here also informed us that ZyXEL are also supposedly to roll out a firmware update later this year for their router. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 05:29:51 PM »

No, but the modems do now support 30a now as well I believe.

Though removing access to us was also a key update for them, though it did fail... rather badly in my opinion.

art37

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 07:01:38 PM »

Does the fact that BT are apparently remotely updating the firmware to their supplied HG612 modems, possibly for upcoming vectoring, suggest that the firmware to other modems i.e. such as my FRITZ!box 7390 will also need to be updated?

According to the German site, F!B 06.61 for the 7390 (yet to be released for the 7390 international edition) will include vectoring firmware and improved interoperability with various DSLAMs.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 07:29:44 AM »

Gentlefolk,

Whilst upgrading modems is fine, there seems little point unless methods have been found to upgrade the MSANs?
I recollect that BKK (and others) mentioned that Huawei kit required an extra module and ECI ones had to have their cards replaced entirely.

Kind regards,
Walter

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 07:23:56 PM »