Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Laptop Battery  (Read 3177 times)

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
Laptop Battery
« on: November 05, 2013, 05:17:24 PM »

Hi all, my wife's laptop, Dell inspiron 1300, recently began warning her that the battery was close to the end of it's life, she has had the laptop since 2006 so maybe not a surprise.
I bought her a new one and put that in and all seemed fine except the four lights at bottom left of the machine instead of being green the third from left flashed orange/red after the laptop had been running for a while 30 to 45 minutes, as this has become an irritation to her I put the old battery back and all seems fine again.

I have been told the light flashing orange is the battery indicator, can anyone tell me what is going on here please?  And is there a cure for it?

Regards,

Peter

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Laptop Battery
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 06:27:06 PM »

Not sure about this but most batteries come discharged and need a full charge for the max time prior to first use. They also improve a bit over the first few discharge/charge cycles. Was this a battery from a reliable UK supplier or an original Dell one rather than a Chinese import? If from a reliable supplier I'd contact them as it could be faulty.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Berrick

• Reg Member
Re: Laptop Battery
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 07:41:17 AM »

Hi,

The LED you refer to is the battery indicator and flashing orange indicates the charge is low or charging and you aren't connected to the mains power. When fully charged and not on mains power this LED goes out.

Red can indicate the battery overheated, quite possible if the battery was fully dis charged when you got it and it has been on charge ever since. The battery is faulty and possibly a system board fault.

Try taking the battery out of the system and letting it cool then try again.
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional