Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Huawei HG612 Firmware -- Proposed Testing  (Read 25768 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Huawei HG612 Firmware -- Proposed Testing
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 11:41:10 PM »

Thank you black cat, I has mail... but Im not going to attempt to open it tonight as I am off to my bed now.    Will be tomorrow eve at the earlier before I get chance to look.  No doubt by then someone else may have dissected the results.

The obvious thought that did occur is if its the apparent capping of the upstream thats giving the increase in the downstream. 
HowlingWolf's firmware includes the new banding profiles and separation of the up/down tones in U0 yes?  Wonder if theres something in there that also limits the max up sync. 

Any-hows its good night from me.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 11:44:37 PM »

How could I forget that beak?  :-X  My tail still remembers the last time that it was tweaked.  :'(

Miaow!

Slightly different format, but the graphs are re-attached, differentiating 'shared/other' tones etc.

The results are ever so slightly mis-leading though as the Planet VC-230N in CO mode delivers slightly different band plans to those delivered by Beatty on a live connection.

The updated firmware does look like the winner though.

Somewhat surprisingly, there is still no US data contained in the raw data for QLN, Hlog & SNR, even when using the updated firmware (as shown in graph F3).

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 12:01:19 AM »

Slightly different format, but the graphs are re-attached, differentiating 'shared/other' tones etc.

I knew you would do that. Thank you.  :)

The results are ever so slightly mis-leading though as the Planet VC-230N in CO mode delivers slightly different band plans to those delivered by Beatty on a live connection.

Absolutely true. That fact definitely needs to be emphasised. As I mentioned in the third post to this thread: ' . . . should provide some metrics for comparison.' So to expand on that statement, the three sets of experimental data can be compared -- one with another -- but should not be taken as 'absolute' or compared with the results obtained from a live Openreach NGA GEA-FTTC VDSL2 circuit.

The updated firmware does look like the winner though.

I concur. The latest Beattie firmware image does appear to 'come out on top'.  :clap2:  :dance:  :silly:

:drink:  for Wolfy -- for unlocking Beattie's latest firmware image, thus allowing these tests to take place.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 11:18:08 AM »

Thanks for the test.  A test with some attenuation would be really conclusive.  You don't happen to have a a good length of 100m of cat 5 or other twisted pair cable do you? It is easy to run through each pair in turn giving a length e.g. 4 times with 4 pairs. 

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 05:58:26 PM »

:hmm:  Hmm . . .

Having just had a good 'rummage' in the bowels of my grotto, I have resurfaced with a reel of 6-core, three pair, CW1308 cable.

The next steps will be to fit a battery of cells to the Tester 301C, measure the length of its pair of test leads, loop one of the pairs of the CW1308 cable at its far end, connect the looped pair & one of the other open-circuited pairs to the two pairs of input sockets of the 301C and thus determine the length of the CW1308 cable, by use of the 301C in differential mode. (Having remembered to subtract the length of the test leads from the result obtained.)  ::)

Then some thought will need to be applied to the method of connecting that CW1308 cable to the RJ11 sockets of the VC-230N and the HG612. Perhaps the simplest method will be best? Take the shortest RJ11 to RJ11 lead from the multitude that are 'held in reserve', sever it at the mid-point and attach each half to the two ends of the 'local loop'.

So yes, Les, a test with a longer 'local loop' will be possible. However I think I should repeat the last test (F3-Test) -- in view of the anomaly that Our Leader, Kitz, has noticed.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 06:18:11 PM »

The test leads were measured at 1.5 metres. The Tester 301C indicated a total length of between 133 - 134 metres for the CW1308 cable plus the test leads.

Hence I shall refer to a 'local loop' length of 396 metres, when the next set of tests are performed.  :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 06:27:29 PM by burakkucat »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2013, 04:21:17 PM »

I was going to buy a dslam but I expect its not as simple as plugging in a cable, and they not that cheap either.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2013, 10:11:42 PM »

I believe (if my memory serves me correctly) that Asbokid has previously indicated that he would be willing to sell his second Huawei SmartAX MA5616 to a fellow experimenter, with the money going as a donation to the Dogs' Trust.

In a reply (dated: November 23, 2012 at 10:15 pm) to a query (asked in a comment to his MA5616 MSAN blog) Asbokid said --

The barebones MA5616 start at about £100 on Taobao, the Chinese version of ebay. Linecards are £80 for a 32-port ADSL2+, and quite a bit more for a VDSL2 linecard.

Shipping from China and Customs charges on top of that.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2013, 12:02:38 AM »

yeah when i ooked on ebay all 32 port ones were sold out.

I also may have not been looking at the right adverts.  The ones I seen were circa £500.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2013, 01:55:06 AM »

I also may have not been looking at the right adverts.  The ones I seen were circa £500.

Chrys, you were probably looking at this eBay listing:-\

Asbokid's purchase was direct from an agent in China and not via eBay. Other than that, I know no further details.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2013, 02:04:35 AM »

I think I shall wait for 'others' to digest the information so far obtained and, perhaps, repeat those initial three tests 'to be absolutely sure' of the results.

Testing with a longer 'local loop', as suggested by Les, will then be performed.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2013, 02:18:50 AM »

Asbokid's purchase was direct from an agent in China and not via eBay. Other than that, I know no further details.

I seem to recall him saying that his postage was practically as much as what he paid for the dslam...  and it took an eon for it to arrive. :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2013, 03:16:41 PM »

yeah probably so I meant 16 ports sold out.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2013, 03:35:54 PM »

Thanks b*cat for the stats which Ive just had a look at.  Thanks too for BE providing the graphs.

Other than what has already been observed I dont have much else to add.

Re the 'upstream cap'
Ive done a quick rough & ready calculation on the changes in the upstream band.
If tones 0-159 were all being used for upstream (I have no way of knowing if 40-159 was used for up or down)
and if all tones were fully bitloaded,
then the new BT banding means a total loss of about 7,728 kbps from the max available upstream on the new firmware, across all 3 of the US bands.
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2013, 12:17:18 AM »

To be sure that nothing had been missed, I went back and repeated the tests for each of those three firmware images. Everything was configured exactly as described above.

I performed two extra steps after uploading each firmware image to the HG612. Once the device had re-booted itself at the end of the upload process, I then entered the GUI and selected the option to restore the default configuration. The device re-booted itself once again as part of that process. Finally I performed a 'long reset' of the device.

I now have a 10.5 MB ZIP format file containing all the experimental results. (Both the original and repeated tests.) Copies will now be sent to both Kitz and Bald_Eagle1. If anyone else would like to receive a copy, please say so here. (If I do not know your e-mail address, to which the results should be sent, please let me know by a PM. Obviously if you know that I am aware of your e-mail address, nothing further needs to be done.)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

anything