Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Which modem?  (Read 2882 times)

Paul Carter

• Just arrived
Which modem?
« on: December 20, 2013, 04:26:02 PM »

Hi everyone.
This is my first post on here but I have been lurking for a while and found this forum to be a great source of information.
I hope I will be able to contribute some useful information based on years of building computers and tweaking my network performance too.
I'm not a pro but advanced amateur.

Anyway here is my query. I had a large capacity FTTC upgrade at the beginning of November and was initially very pleased with the performance of over 70Mbps download speeds. I've got a fully wired network with wireless for the laptop and iPad when needed.
The BTOR engineer had supplied an ECI B-FOCuS V-2FUb/I Rev.1B modem and Huawei router the latter which I immediately replaced with my Billion Bipac 7800N. I soon became frustrated at not being able to access the modem's webpage to view the stats so I bought a Huawei HG612 3B and unlocked it. In the process of swapping the modems over and playing around I have forced the DSLAM to reduce the download speed to just over 30Mbps. I'm reluctant to do any more resets now because I'm banking on the DSLAM resetting after a few days and increase sync speed.
However what I would like to know is which if either modem performs better overall, the ECI or the Huawei so I can use the better one?
Thank you.

boe323

Re: Which modem?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 12:36:15 PM »

I would of thought matching the modem to the hardware would be better, do you know what's in the cabinet?, eci or Broadcom... find out and use the corresponding modem. No expert but makes sense... im sure the experts would agree here. I guess someone will post and correct me if im wrong.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 01:23:23 PM »

Also, who is your ISP?
Some are more "helpful" than others when it comes to determining what has changed (and why) and getting it reset if appropriate.  :-X

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 01:37:52 PM »

Some people believed when you matched ECI equipment (ECI Modem and ECI Cabinets) you would get a better sync speed than using a Huawei modem with a ECI cabinet.

When my connection was stable with an ECI Modem I would sync just over 28Mbps, I'm currently syncing at 28.1Mbps with a Huawei modem but it had always been lower until the latest Firmware update from Openreach. Though I haven't tested with the ECI modem since all the new firmware/cabinet updates to see If I would still get a higher sync speed with the ECI modem over the Huawei.

Paul Carter

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 04:17:14 PM »

Hi.
Thanks for the replies.
I'm with Talktalk and have been since 2009, one of the lucky ones to be generally satisfied with their service I suppose
A brand new BT cabinet has been installed right next to the old one and is only about 150m from my house but I don't know what hardware it contains.
Is there any way to find out?
Shall I give it a kick to see if that will reset the DSLAM ;D ;)
Cheers.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 08:00:46 PM »

I'm with Talktalk and have been since 2009, one of the lucky ones to be generally satisfied with their service I suppose

There's quite a few of us about. The Cattery has had a TalkTalk service since the middle of 2007 . . . so that makes it six and a half years and counting.  ;)

A brand new BT cabinet has been installed right next to the old one and is only about 150m from my house but I don't know what hardware it contains.
Is there any way to find out?

If possible, take a photograph and post it (or a link to it) here. There is a distinct possibility that one of us just might know!  :D

Shall I give it a kick to see if that will reset the DSLAM ;D ;)

A good kicking won't have any effect. Ramming it with a motor-vehicle, however, will.  :angel:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 03:58:14 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Paul Carter

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 06:05:49 AM »

Thanks for that Burakkucat.
I was with Tiscali before migrating to Talktalk  and Freeserve before that so I haven't strayed far.
The cabinet near to me looks like the ECI model in your picture. So it looks as if the BTOR engineer did match my modem to the FTTC hardware.
Just got to wait a few more days now to see if the DSLAM will reset.
My download speed is sticking at just over 40Mbps at the mo.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 04:04:41 PM »

Perhaps you would like to post the output produced by invocation of xdslcmd info --stats and xdslcmd info --pbParams command lines from the busybox shell prompt?

I'm sure our analytical eagle will then have something to say . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything