Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Openreach on BBC Watchdog.  (Read 15905 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Openreach on BBC Watchdog.
« on: October 26, 2013, 12:15:42 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03glrr1

Walter is replacing Ann for the interview spot.  ;) ;D ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Openreach on BBC Watchdog.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 02:37:42 PM »

On mine it says "Not currently available on BBC i-player"  :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 04:12:15 PM »

The programme hasn't been transmitted yet - it's next Wednesday.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »

d'oh sorry... yes I can see that now when I look when on the PC   :-[

Someone remind me again on Wes  ;D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

snadge

• Kitizen
BT Openreach on BBC Watchdog tonight 8pm
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 02:50:21 PM »

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6134-openreach-to-feature-on-bbc-watchdog.html

dunno if right section but wanted to catch the eyes of those interested :)

We will need to wait till 8pm tonight (Wednesday 30th October) to see exactly what BBC Watchdog covers in its show that is set to "investigate BT Openreach and their promises to keep the nation connected". We suspect the item will centre around the large variation in performance Openreach has been providing in terms of the length of time to repair faults and install new telephone and broadband services.

Coincidence or just random timing, Openreach has announced changes to its Service Level Agreement/Guarantee (SLA/SLG) that it offers for WLR Analogue, LLU MPF and ISDN2 appointments. The main change is that from the 1st November the first appointment will be made available within 12 working days compared to the current 13 working days. The presence of a SLG payment scheme may surprise some, and this represents what your service provider is compensated with if there is no appointment slot available, note this is not about missed appointments, but simply Openreach being too busy to even offer an install date.

"Updated SLG payment structure

"If we fail to make the first appointment available within 12 working days, this will result in an SLG payment of £2, for each of (working) days 13, 14 and 15. For example, if the first available appointment is on day 15, then an SLG of £6 (3 times £2) would be payable.

If the availability of the first appointment goes beyond SLA+3 (i.e. beyond 15 working days), an SLG payment of £4 per day will apply for the whole period from (working) day 13 onwards, up to where the first appointment is available. For example, if the first available appointment is on day 19, then an SLG of £28 (7 times £4) would be payable."

Extract from Openreach Briefing to Communication Providers
We do see people complaining about long lead times for service installs, but to date there has been little evidence of any compensation rolling back up the chain to the consumer. There are payments that will be made if Openreach miss an appointment and while we have seen providers quick to levy any abortive visit charges (where you were out when the engineer called), it is rare to see people talk about the compensation.

"All changes will be implemented on 1 August 2013.

Existing Price   Revised Price
Abortive Visit Charges   £85.00   £90.00
Missed Appointment Payment   £40.00   £45.00
OSA FSP3000 Abortive Visit Charge   £745.00   £750.00
The change to the Abortive Visit Charge reflects inflationary changes in costs. However, Openreach has recognised that it is fair to make an equal change to the payment it makes to customers when an appointment fails due to Openreach issues."

Openreach Abortive Visit Charges/Compensation
The levels of separation that put Openreach out of contact with the consumer are not helping, as the compensation often appears to get lost, and it is sometimes not clear if a problem is down to a wrong order code from the retailer/wholesaler or a simple mistake by Openreach. All that matters to the consumer is that installs are done on time and faults fixed within a reasonable timeframe, and the retail providers who ultimately are taking the money from the consumer or SME need to step up there game, both in compensating the consumer and improving how they interact with Openreach and other wholesale partners.

For Openreach specifically a lot of the problems are down to size of the workforce and maintaining legacy infrastructure while also trying to roll-out new infrastructure. Throwing contractors at the problem might help in the short term, but more full-time staff are needed, but that means higher costs and increasing Openreach pricing at a time when politicians and communications providers are saying Openreach charges too much looks to be impossible task.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6134-openreach-to-feature-on-bbc-watchdog.html
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: BT Openreach on BBC Watchdog tonight 8pm
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 03:57:03 PM »

Get in line pal ............ http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13156.0 ..........  ;) :lol:

Good to be reminded though, Snadge. Cheers pal.  ;D ;D

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 05:49:21 PM »

It may be worth doing a quick search next time? :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 08:19:55 PM »

Mixed feelings about it. Lots of facts left out, for media effect ........... but understand the frustration of the EU's totally.

The cabling job affecting 40+houses, was extremely likely to be down to our Second Stage Repair (SSR) guys. They are notoriously slow to react. I
They will have their reasons, I'm sure (Just like the local councils dragging their feet with notices), but even to first stage engineers like myself, they do take an age.

One2Go

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 08:40:01 PM »

Just watched the open reach bit. wow 4 months without phone or internet ???????? i would go mad.

Talking about Open reach. my local  Fibre cab was installed back in 2010-2011 and since then nothing was done. the excuse from Open reach was that they had too many problem with underground blockage. and their date changed from 3 months to over 2 years. then one day out of the blue Network electric  company came in and fed the electrics to the cab and bingo a week later all working. so the original excuse by open reach was a lie. all fibres were fed without any issue. to add salt to injury even the online map was incorrect. So yes open reach are always open to lies. why couldn't just say electric was needed and license is required blah ablah
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 08:42:10 PM by One2Go »
Was on 5mb, now on 60mb on 80/20. stable never had a major issue

One2Go

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 08:43:59 PM »

On mine it says "Not currently available on BBC i-player"  :(
try again mine says watch ontine now and just did
 ;)
Was on 5mb, now on 60mb on 80/20. stable never had a major issue

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 11:07:05 PM »

D'oh.. missed it. :(

Not been around all day and only just parked my derrier at the PC. Another early morning tomorrow too :/

That shall be my bedtime TV very soon if its on iplayer ..... after a quick scan of the forums of course.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 11:10:00 PM »

Thanks snadge, was out & missed, so I'll be catching up on it soon on the ATV. :)

(thats if my head doesn't nosedive the keyboard first)
-----

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 02:16:00 PM »

They went WAY too easy on Openreach, who frankly are nothing short of a disgrace these days.

If you work for them then sorry but your company is absymal.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 03:52:52 PM »

Openreach, BT Wholesale should go back to being one company.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 03:56:04 PM »

In your opinion. (Edit: In response to Rizla, as Alec added during my reply).

Of course, like any mega-business, there are lots of things that aren't right. But, the main concern raised on WD last night, was the restriction of direct access from EU to Openreach. IE: Having to always go through the ISP.
Not entirely a mess all of our own making, this process was agreed to be the way by all ISP's, and Ofcom to boot.

I thought there could have been a lot weightier arguments against OR shown last night, but that didn't happen. They did add the obligatory 'Frail old man', who can't survive without broadband for impact though. Before you jump down my throat as cruel and heartless, I've seen it all before a million times over. It's what the media do best. They're not going to show the interview with the 'Frail old man' who understands that he may have to wait for services to be restored.

Like I say, opinions are ...... just that. I, along with a good few thousand more, have the inside track on where we do things badly, and alas, that never gets air-time. we need a whistleblower. ;D ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything