Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows and Blue Screens  (Read 6374 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Windows and Blue Screens
« on: October 22, 2013, 05:38:21 PM »

Im not wanting to start a war of the Windows -v- Linux - Mac  because I believe everyone should have a choice and Im aware that different people have different requirements and what they want from an OS.

But one of the common assumptions by non windows users is that how unstable windows is saying constant Blue Screen of Deaths, constant reboots yada yada.   Admittedly it probably got that reputation during the days of Win98 & WinME, but Win2k was generally considered stable.. and since XP Ive never had a dreaded Blue Screen. 
Yep Vista was a damp squid and Win8 is seemly targeted towards the touch screen market, but XP and Win7 are imho decent & stable operating systems.   Win8 seems to be ok aside from the annoying lack of start menu for desktops. 

Just running a system audit atm and I came across these stats which I thought Id share to say Windows(7) aint that bad honest. 
You can see that in the past year Ive had a total 56 reboots and 0 blue screens.    A large portion of those reboots will have been when I was first installing the system and all the other software.   Im far more likely to have to reboot for Adobe or AV updates than I am for windows updates.   Ive done 3 reboots in the past 24hrs none were related to the windows constantly needs rebooting myth.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Windows and Blue Screens
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 06:09:41 PM »

:silly: :scare: :swoon:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 06:41:47 PM »

:thumbs:

I have to agree. Considering all the mistreatment Windows 7 Ultimate gets on my main I'd say Windows 7 is very stable.

Original Install Date:     16/02/2011, 19:59:00
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 06:58:10 PM »

I don't see many references to Windows blue screens among the Linux community these days. It used to be a favourite snide remark several years ago, but not now. There are plenty of other reasons why Linux users prefer Linux, but as you say, it's a personal choice. Another thing you don't see so often these days is Microsoft's senior management making snide remarks about Linux - who could forget "Linux is a virus" and "Linux code is full of violations of Microsoft patents", both of which were wholly untrue.
  Eric

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 07:37:01 PM »

Can't beat a Mac, IMO. Love it like my own children.  ;D

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 08:06:21 PM »

"Linux code is full of violations of Microsoft patents"

Me thinks Billy Gates ripped off unix. Either that or he got mixed up when writing the MSdos OS and thats why we ended up with \ instead of /  :P
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 08:29:43 PM »

Funny that the BSOD came up here tonight as I have had  a whole load of BSODs today on 3 different XP  systems. Actually they were working fine under Virtualbox until I upgraded Virtualbox and the crashed trying to start probably because of some driver error. I have now got them working but only by changing some settings in Virtualbox. However it does raise the point about how touchy Windows XP and I believe 7 can be about things like drivers.

My other beef about Windows is the fact that it takes an age to update it and you always need a reboot to make sure it's stable. My Linux systems may need rebooting sometimes but I have never found any update to require a reboot immediately in order to remain stable.

The other day I had to install some updates on my W7 Laptop which is an I5 with 4gb memory, it took some hour or more to download about 30 updates, install them and then reboot which took ages to both shutdown and restart because half the work is done during that time.

Then I installed a new Linux system which needed to installed about 250 updates (it was an old  install disk) which took about 40 minutes from start to finish and did not require a reboot to complete the installs, only needed a reboot to pick up new functionality in a small subset of pieces of the system.

Actually as Kitz says XP and 7 can be quite stable, but that is true of most systems these days. My first question always to someone who says their system crashed is 'What did you do/change?' as it is almost invariably that whatever they did caused a previously stable system to fail, and my first comment about BSOD above just highlights this  ;)

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

neilius

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 09:25:31 PM »

And in an interesting turn of events, Apple have just released OS X 10.9 Maverics free of charge! Not free as in open source... But still... It'll give me something else to do at work as I won't have to wait an eternity to raise a purchase order for it, by which time we'd be a version or so behind... Will be able to test it thoroughly before deploying it to 80 odd machines next summer.

anything