Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DSLstats & my Gremlin  (Read 3629 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
DSLstats & my Gremlin
« on: October 22, 2013, 06:48:21 AM »

Ive been running the most up to date version of DSLstats (4.1) - in fact you can see I used it to do a screen shot in this post here.

Ive just done a windows boot as last night I did an A/V update that needed a system boot.   
Windows restarted and DSLstats has rolled back to v3.5 and its lost all the config settings.
Yet if I hover over the .exe it says 4.1.0.0.  The changelog is for 4.1

~ Ive not done a sys boot for weeks, but its certainly not as far back as 3.5
~ Ive NOT done a sys restore and I cant see that anything else has rolled back.
~ Ive checked my PC and I cant see that I have a 3.5 exe anywhere unless its in recycle bin.
~ I dont think Ive used 3.5 since about July. , possibly earlier?

Totally and utterly confused at what the hell has happened here.

The only thing I can think I did different is when I updated DSLstats last night I did it via the update window rather than visiting the site direct to get the files.   The config files are also stored somewhere else now, so I'll go root around and see where they are - I used to keep it in the same folder. 

Attached screen caps showing:-
[1] running 3.5 version with all the lost settings.. on top of firefox showing one of last nights posts proving I was using 4.1 
[2] the exe file showing 4.1 when I hover over it.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: DSLstats & my Gremlin
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 07:02:54 AM »

OK..  now this is stupid.   

Ive redownloaded 4.1 direct from erics site.  Installed it.  Got 4.1 running.

Rebooted and now its back to 3.5 and lost all the settings again.  :no:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 07:42:59 AM »

The config files are also stored somewhere else now, so I'll go root around and see where they are - I used to keep it in the same folder. 

In 4.1 the first line of the event log shows the location of the config files. On the Misc configuration page there's an option to put the config files either in the OS-advised location (the default) or with the other DSLstats files. You can change this option at any time, and the config files will be moved to the chosen location.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 08:03:56 AM »

Thank you eric.. I hadnt seen that new option :thumb:

I may be on to something here, ( just got distracted replying to BE's post.)
Is there anywhere in DSLstats that starts an autorun on bootup?

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 08:06:33 AM by kitz »
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 08:31:51 AM »

I may be on to something here, ( just got distracted replying to BE's post.)
Is there anywhere in DSLstats that starts an autorun on bootup?

No, that's an OS function which I wouldn't know how to use. But it may well be the default in Windows to restart any programs which were running at the time of shutdown. (Sorry, I'm sure you know that better than I do).
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 04:37:42 PM »

I found the copy of 3.5. It was squirrelled away with some old Be stats.  I must have shifted it over to my backup drive with some graphs that I had whilst still on Be, but I couldnt understand why it was suddenly started running on boot.

I looked in all my startup folders and there wasnt a shortcut in any of them.   This was the mystery why was it starting on boot?  In the end I found it by running msconfig.   
I now have an orphan file in msconfig which I still cant find the shortcut file pointing to it.
Aside from the fact why it should start out of the blue now ive no idea. 

-----

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 04:45:20 PM »

I run it at boot by dropping it into the STARTUP folder in the start menu, choose "start minimized" in options and it starts in the tray

right-click at the STARTUP folder in start menu... choose OPEN and pop a shortcut in

also... set AUTO RESTART after PAUSE so it starts after waking from sleep - but its seems to be doing it on its own now I think for me as i had issues with that

« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 04:49:08 PM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 03:18:16 PM »

Cheers snadge.  That is what I normally do.

However this particular time, there was an instance somewhere that didnt show up in either of the start-up folders. 
(Theres one for the current user and one for all users).   Nor was it found by unchecking the hidden system files and folders.

I found a reference somewhere on the net, that if you couldnt find it, try running msconfig. 
msconfig told me the path to the .exe, which is how I found the old version in my folder with all my Be* stats stuff.

The problem now was deleting it - without any shortcut to delete it was a bit impossible.  Yes I could turn it off in msconfig,  but ditching the old exe.. still left me with an orphan file in msconfig. 

I even tried several of the programs that are supposed to clean out startup (including ccleaner and a couple of startup manager progs I downloaded).
2 registry cleaners didnt find it. Even Sysinternals Autoruns didnt work.   In the end I had to resort to the registry myself :(

Why it would suddenly start running from an old version that Id not used in months neither was a total mystery, as was the fact that I couldnt find any shortcut to delete. 

All I know is that it was triggered after a reboot to install some updates.
-----

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 10:27:11 PM »

Autoruns can remove them from MSCONFIG completely , right-click on entry in autoruns and choose delete then it should no longer appear

also theres Task Manager which can be used to run stuff at boot
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

anything