Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Home Hub Warranty  (Read 6743 times)

bbnovice

• Reg Member
BT Home Hub Warranty
« on: October 21, 2013, 10:40:21 PM »

Hi,
The more savvy of you are probably already aware of this, but in case you are not,  BT may extend the standard 12 month warranty for your Home Hub if you renew your annual broadband contract with them. The operative word is may, see this from their website:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/646/c/

In my case I have been a BT FTTC customer for over 2 years. During that time I have upgraded twice for free – firstly to the 80/20 service and very recently to include BT Sport. My BT contract has another 11 months or so to run.

Last week I took advantage of purchasing a HH4 at a much reduced offer price, and placement of the order generated an automated message from BT advising me that the HH3 warranty would expire on the date the HH4 was delivered.

On querying this with BT I was told that the H3 warranty would have continued to run for nearly 3 years (ie until the end of the current contract period connected with the recent BT Sport upgrade) if I had not ordered the HH4. Their policy appears to be that they only warrant one Home Hub per connection.

So the moral is, if your old HH expires don’t automatically assume that its warranty has expired.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT Home Hub Warranty
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 10:50:26 PM »

heh - trying to get my head around it.

I think most ISPs will send you out a replacement router free anyhow if youve been with them for x number of years or if you sign up for another 12 months yada yada.   I've also heard of BT sending out replacement hubs during early stages of  'line faults' for the sake of elimination, even if the hub is out of so called warranty.   It may depend on who takes your call and which way the wind blows on that particular day.   :-\
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 11:28:08 PM »

I thought that both the HH3 and the HH4 are now 'obsolete' devices, what with the public release of the HH5:-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 08:15:28 PM »

I think any major isp would replace their CPE for free if it failed anyway so the warranty is meaningless really.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 08:23:59 PM »

I think any major isp would replace their CPE for free if it failed anyway so the warranty is meaningless really.

Far from it ............. Kitz has outlined above exactly how it works, once the warranty period has expired.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 03:51:33 PM »

Far from it ............. Kitz has outlined above exactly how it works, once the warranty period has expired.  :)

I take it you mean this then?   :lol: :lol:

It may depend on who takes your call and which way the wind blows on that particular day.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 04:08:25 PM »

Yup.  ;D

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 06:20:05 PM »

Honestly it isn't far from it, I've had gear out several times when it's been out of warranty. If you kick up a fuss and that you will say you are leaving the kit will be on your door within the next 3 days. I will guarantee you it...

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 09:13:05 PM »

I think we are all getting at more or less the same thing.    ;)
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 05:04:33 AM »

I think is some confusion, because I read kitz post and it seems she agrees with me as well as ryan, at the end of the day a hh5 is chump change to someone like BT and they would no doubt give one free as replacement if it stopped a customer leaving.  But the customer would very likely have to extend their contract as BT are addicted to adding 12 months everytime they give something.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 12:07:51 PM »

I think we are all getting at more or less the same thing.    ;)

Yes, we are.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 02:18:49 PM »

I think is some confusion, because I read kitz post and it seems she agrees with me as well as ryan,

I do!

The warranty thing is rubbish, depends who you speak to.   
Most ISPs will happily send you out a new one free if its over a year old...  and you sign up with them for another year.   Threaten to leave and yes you will likely get one too. 

As I said if you have a line fault, some ISPs early diagnosis (after the turn-on turn-off rubbish) is to send out a new router.  TT used to be notorious for it.  I dont know if they still are, but I do know someone who ended up with 3 x TT routers in about 6 weeks because they kept sending them out rather than send an engineer, which was what was really needed in the first place.

Sky OTOH Ive known be a bit more stubborn.  I knew it was the router that had died - totally kaput.  After going through all the switch on switch off garbage (like I hadnt already tried that several times) they just wanted to send out a PSU.  I had to be insistent, but I got one in the end for the EU... and no it wasnt the PSU.   
-----

anything