Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Note on DP - Urgent Grounding Required  (Read 6729 times)

Darren

Re: Note on DP - Urgent Grounding Required
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 01:10:20 AM »

burakkucat, haha they do look like headstones, now that you mention it. I'll have a read of that pdf, thanks.

Black Sheep, the village was built in the 70-80s and looking around there are a few more of them further from the cab, unlike my street though which has two of them, they are always at the end of cul-de-sacs and they are slimmer than the one pictured. It's like there weren't enough properties to justify another chamber so those were put in instead.

The FTTC cab isn't close so it's a mystery. No obvious work has been done yet.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 12:21:12 AM »

@ BKK, Thanks for the hollow pole description.

@ Everybody,

If the weather had been dry and the operative had new boots on it's not impossible that he got a static discharge by grounding himself via the metal case.
Otherwise, for ordinary passive BT equipment, I don't recall seeing much grounding in say PCPs.
It's quite different in FTTCs not only to avoid serious dangers as we saw in the "Oops car crash note" I wrote a little while ago as there are sound reasons to keep all metallic parts grounded.
There are two hazards involved with FTTC power distribution viz; the normal mains voltage requirements but also to isolate the batteries which a novice might overlook.
I don't believe these FTTC designs use anything over a 48 volt power supply but in larger equipment installations batteries often provide mains voltage through inverters.
Anyone who has  accidentally shorted a car battery will be aware of the firework display and significant heating capability of even a small size battery.
In addition the electronics cards will probably be classed as static-sensitive components which require the operative to wear a grounded anti-static wrist band.

Back to the original mini PCP discussion, there are a few even smaller metal posts around this patch I'm guessing about 150 mm high, 60 mm wide and 40 mm deep.
I'll put a tape measure in my wheelbarrow to satisfy curious pussies soon !

Kind regards,
Walter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 02:09:34 AM »

I don't believe these FTTC designs use anything over a 48 volt power supply but in larger equipment installations batteries often provide mains voltage through inverters.

My understanding is that the batteries, in both the Huawei and ECI equipped cabinets, "float" directly across the DC output of the mains PSU (and thus also act as smoothing capacitors). In the UK FTTC deployment, the only power input to the MA5616 or M41 MSANs is -48V DC. (Positive earth is the long established standard of the entity that is know as Beattie.)

In that case of the Hauwei MA5616, it can be fitted with different power supply units. There are at least three types: (1) AC mains input via an IEC (kettle) connector only (2) DC input via screw terminals only (3) Both AC mains and DC input. (Images are attached, below.)

In addition the electronics cards will probably be classed as static-sensitive components which require the operative to wear a grounded anti-static wrist band.

The Huawei MA5616 has a quite prominent connector, to which an anti-static wrist band can be attached, on its cooling fan assembly.

Back to the original mini PCP discussion, there are a few even smaller metal posts around this patch I'm guessing about 150 mm high, 60 mm wide and 40 mm deep.
I'll put a tape measure in my wheelbarrow to satisfy curious pussies soon !

Thank you, Walter. Every little helps!  :angel:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 [2]