Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: HG612 Stats Editor updates  (Read 59606 times)

Ronski

• Kitizen
Re: HG612 Stats Editor updates
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2013, 08:27:26 PM »

Only what I've been working on tonight, and may be some updates last night.

The first post in this thread contains  a link to the latest file I've released, but please bare in mind it is a work in progress, so should be treated as beta releases.

As mentioned above I have now implemented a proper version number, and also build date/time, so it's easy to see which version you have, this will always be updated automatically now. This information is shown on the Help & About page, also the build date/time is shown in the bottom left hand corner.

Latest Version.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2013, 09:58:17 PM »

Many thanks for the version control upgrade which will help dumbos like me.

I have now definitely identified the cause of my problems, and can confirm that it is nothing to do with the current version of the editor.

I will do some more testing of the editor tomorrow on my Windows 7 Home Premium system and let you know if I encounter any further issues.

BBN

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2013, 08:09:47 PM »

I've not had much time recently but here's the latest version.

Updates to this version.

Enabled code to set the task priority to normal, rather than below normal when creating the scheduled task. This only affects Vista onwards, BE1 has noted that this made a lot of difference when his virus scanner was running, thus increasing reliability.

When an error occurs reading either of the log files (Xlogfile or Modem_stats log file), the error and associated information will be written to an error log file in the editor directory. This will only be created/updated if there is a problem. There will no longer be an error message window, in theory you could end up with hundreds of message windows. The balloon warning is still in place, but can be turned off. You will however get a big red button, in the space on the right, between the other buttons when an error has occurred, pressing said button will open the error log.

The balloon time selection for showing the stats when passing over the tray icon has been changed to only allow values between 10 & 30, anything less than 10 or greater than 30 is overridden by the O/S. Unfortunately I have failed in my en-devour to address the tool tip appearing straight away, ideally I would have like the need to hover over the icon for half a second before the balloon appeared.  I do intend to change this at a later date, but for now it's only a minor annoyance.

There have been other minor alterations and improvements.

There's a couple of issues I need to address, these will be sorted in a later update.

1. If you've altered and haven't saved the settings and you log off or Windows shuts down, then the program will hold up the process by asking if you want to save the settings.
    2. When logging off or shutting down with the program open and monitoring the task, there is a chance of an error about starting schtasks or jt.exe. To avoid this issue for now simply minimize it to the tray or exit the program before shutting down or logging off.

Latest Version
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 08:17:37 PM by Ronski »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2013, 09:34:34 PM »

Installed & logging happily  :)

Enabled code to set the task priority to normal, rather than below normal when creating the scheduled task. This only affects Vista onwards, BE1 has noted that this made a lot of difference when his virus scanner was running, thus increasing reliability.

I created a new 'test' task via the GUI & manually (for now) staggered it by 30 seconds via Task Scheduler to allow it to run alongside my usual task.
It does indeed run at 'normal' priority.

This is far easier than manually exporting the task, editing its priority & importing it back into Task Scheduler.

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2013, 10:14:02 PM »

Installed & logging happily  :)

Glad to hear it's working as planned
This is far easier than manually exporting the task, editing its priority & importing it back into Task Scheduler.

And that is exactly what my code does, exports it as XML, reads the XML file line by line, when it finds a line it needs to change it changes it and then writes them to a new xml file, deletes the existing task and imports it  ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2013, 09:26:24 PM »

Cheers Ronski for the most recent update as yet have not installed it.

The version I am running at the moment is 1.0.0.0 and it's flawless
would I see any benefit when updating to the new one as I use Vista and Windows 8.1 ?

Edit: just installed it version 1.1.5052.32975 it's running well and can see the Firmware Version thats installed inside the modem  :thumbs:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 09:47:10 PM by NewtronStar »

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2013, 08:15:02 AM »

One of the  benefits of the newer versions above 1.0.0.0 is that I've worked out how to add proper versioning and a build date, so it is now easy to see what version/build date you are running.

There's also been a few other more useful updates such as the firmware version, which of course I couldn't display without BE1 adding it to the logs in the first place, minor bug fixes and code improvements. There may also be additional data displayed if your still on an old 1.0.0.0 version.

Task creation now uses a higher priority on Vista upwards, which should improve data logging when the system is struggling to cope, such as during virus scans.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2013, 07:18:42 PM »

Task creation now uses a higher priority on Vista upwards, which should improve data logging when the system is struggling to cope, such as during virus scans.

Yeah thats good but it seems the lastest update is using more CPU usage 7-10 % were DSLstats only use 2-3% of CPU usage, I am not criticising the software by any meens just would like others to confirm this is also the case on there own equipment.

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2013, 07:48:56 PM »

It's most likely the monitoring of the scheduled task, it checks every second whether the task is created, and whether it's disabled. To do this it runs schtasks on Vista upwards, and JT.exe on XP.

BE1 recently brought this to my attention, and I made some alterations, one of them being to increase the time between the above checks.

If you minimise it to the tray, then the checking is disabled, and should lower CPU usage, does this happen?

It also loads the stats every minute, but this takes mere milliseconds, lowest I've seen on my slow old works PC is 3 milliseconds, but averages around 10.

If you have the settings tab open on the directories tab, then it checks if the folders exist every second.

There's nothing else going on to use CPU cycles really.

Mine flicks between 0 and 1% CPU usage, but then my CPU is a quad core running at 4Ghz with a nice fast SSD  ;D but I suspect that the relevant code for SCHTASKS or JT.EXE stays in memory so is not loaded from disk every time it's run.

I'm sure that Roseway is a much better programmer than me, I haven't really programmed since I used to write machine code on the ZX Spectrum, but I'm learning fairly quickly now and may well be able to optimise some code.

If I let my brother look at my code, I'm sure he'll rip it to bits, he's a perfectionist and programming is his career.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2013, 10:44:41 PM »

is the check every 1 second increased on the released version? I noticed the app stutters every second on my machine and its a quad core intel also with ssd.  eg. dragging the window around it stutters every second.

Ideally i would like to disable that auto refresh or set the interval.  Is it better to just check when the app is loaded only and when a setting is changed?

Also is it possible to have the task priority customisable?  if for whatever my system is struggling to run the task and do something I am doing at the same time, I would prefer my foreground task to take precedence.

My firmware version says N/A.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 10:51:38 PM by Chrysalis »

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2013, 10:54:54 PM »

No it's not increased on the latest version, I reduced the frequency of the checks quite a few versions ago.

It is possible to turn off task monitoring in the version you have, first of all go to task scheduler and export your task, then go back to my program and from the task menu item choose 'I will use my own tasks', this will delete your task and stop the program monitoring the task. Now simply import the task you exported earlier.

Let me know what difference it has made.

I've been working on fixing a bug which occurs when logging off/shutting down, this involves the task monitoring and have realised I've made a little bit of an error  :blush:, so I should be able to improve this code a lot.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2013, 10:58:10 PM »

I can confirm the suttering stopped after selecting the 'I will run my own tasks'.

I think the task isnt running every 5 mins anymore tho after I reimported it, it says next run time 22:59 which has passed. --edit-- it is still running.  You know how to check the task priority inside taks scheduler?

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 11:02:43 PM by Chrysalis »

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2013, 11:00:56 PM »

What OS you using?

Regarding the firmware version, you need to be using a recent version of BE1 logging code, if you look in the xlog file, the last lines should read.

Code: [Select]
DSL PHY: AnnexA version - A2pv6C038m.d24j
******* Pass *********

If that is not present then you are not using a version which logs the firmware version.

Yes it would be possible to have the task priority user configurable, the same goes for the task checking frequency, and I could also add an option to turn off monitoring.

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2013, 11:02:02 PM »

I think the task isnt running every 5 mins anymore tho after I reimported it, it says next run time 22:59 which has passed.

Thanks

Refresh the scheduler window (F5), took me a while to figure out, but it doesn't update in real time  :no:

Edit:PS surely you mean 1 minute?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2013, 11:03:12 PM »

yes its still running.

you know how to check the priority inside task scheduler? yep I mean every minute sorry.

OS is win7 64bit sp1.

core i5 750
16 gig ram
running on samsung 830 ssd.

regarding the BE code, I will look for his latest version now.

thanks again. :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 11:05:16 PM by Chrysalis »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14