Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DSLstats v4.02 QLN graphs  (Read 3483 times)

JimboDimbo

• Just arrived
DSLstats v4.02 QLN graphs
« on: October 15, 2013, 01:04:58 AM »

Hi Guys,

DSLstats is fun-tastic!

It would be great if DSLstats could refresh the QLN graph on request, rather than restarting the program (and losing my other data, or overlapping snapshots). I've been trying to monitor QLN as I have some spikes which I'm trying to trace the source of (Tone 64 is blocked sometimes during the day?). Also I seem to have suffered a big change in line noise recently (see before/after attached), so I need to keep checking QLN at the moment.
[I'll post another question in the ADSL Issues forum for my noise/adsl issue when I have enough data to frame the question properly]

Is there any way to refresh the QLN graph without restarting DSLstats?

Cheers,
Peter.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: DSLstats v4.02 QLN graphs
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 06:31:33 AM »

QLN & Hlog data is only refreshed during the training up stage of a resync.
This is due to the way connections work rather than an issue with any monitoring programs.

So, if a connection was resynced at a 'noisy' period, that data will remain until the next resync which could be at a 'quieter' period.

However, Bitloading & SNR are dynamically updated between resyncs.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 06:33:49 AM by Bald_Eagle1 »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 07:12:08 AM »

Just to add to what BE1 said, DSLstats does refresh the QLN and HLog graphs with every sample, but you don't see any difference unless there's a resync because the data reported by the router doesn't change.
  Eric

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 08:34:39 AM »

Tone 64 is the "pilot tone" and is not used.

As others have said QLN and Hlog are only re-measured and re-calculated by the router at the point of re-sync.
The data then remains static in the router's memory unchanging until a re-sync occurs whereupon a new set of QLN/Hlog data is measured.
The QLN is indeed the quiet line noise with no DSL signal on it - hence the impossibility of re-measuring it at any time other than at a re-sync as that is the only time when there is no DSL signal on the line.  The router does it at the instant of re-connection before it establishes.

JimboDimbo

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 10:59:24 PM »

Hi Guys,

OK. Great. Thanks for that info.

If Tone 64 is not actually used (for data), then this spike (attached) on my QLN is not affecting my potential download rate?
Or will it affect the pilot tone? I'm not sure what the pilot tone is used for? As a timing sync channel (e.g. like the E1 signal timeslot 16)?

I haven't found what is causing it. Thought it was the fridge freezer, but doesn't seem so. I think I need an AM radio and start roaming the streets :-) Grrrr.

P.

anything