Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Kaspersky Labs defeat a 'computer nasty'  (Read 2648 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Kaspersky Labs defeat a 'computer nasty'
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 07:53:03 PM »

Well done to kaspersky for being able to afford to stick up for themselves.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 08:35:49 PM »

:troll:  :whip:  :clap2:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 10:36:09 PM »

Yes indeed. Patent trolls are a blight on software innovation, and it's the little guys who they hurt the most.
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 11:10:24 PM »

Its a matter close to my heart days, still having delusions of being a mobile app developer, and hoping to have Apps downloaded from US servers hence subject to US legal system.  The root problem seems to be the US culture of being entitled to your 'day in court'.   If you take civil action in the US  and lose, you normally only have your own legal costs whereas in the UK the 'loser' normally pays both sides' costs.

The US sytem has its merits, for example I were wronged then I could sue a huge US corporate organisation, without having to worry about their legal fees if I lost.  But if I were to be sued by a troll for one of my apps , even if the suit was completely frivolous and I were 100% innocent, and even if it went to court in the US and the jury agreed that I was innocent, I'd still be bankrupted by the cost of proving my innocence.

I hope they manage to fix the system, it just doesn't seem right. :'(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 11:22:32 PM »

The cost of litigation is so expensive and quite often normal people or small businesses cant afford it, hence why its either often cheaper to just let it be, or pay out whatever they demand.  Unfortunately it looks like the trolls aimed their sights to high on this one.   What is sad though is that theyve probably already made a fortune from people who cant afford to go through the legal process.. I hope it doesnt mean that now they will consistently target the smaller companies :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 11:38:18 PM »

The cost of litigation is so expensive and quite often normal people or small businesses cant afford it, hence why its either often cheaper to just let it be, or pay out whatever they demand.  Unfortunately it looks like the trolls aimed their sights to high on this one.   What is sad though is that theyve probably already made a fortune from people who cant afford to go through the legal process.. I hope it doesnt mean that now they will consistently target the smaller companies :/

Without being judgemental on this particular alledged Troll, I think we can take the 'small companies' target for Trolls in general, for granted.   

Generally, the Trolls will have in-house lawyers who's day job is to send out patent allegations, so they have no actual 'costs' as such, just the usual payroll.  And when somebody with big bucks refuses to back down they just walk away, nothing lost.   But meanwhile, they've got an awful lot of little guys/gals on the hook, who's individual tiny licensing fees combined add up to a fortune.  And of course, a huge step backwards for the evolution on technology :(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 01:13:27 AM »

>>  they've got an awful lot of little guys/gals on the hook, who's individual tiny licensing fees combined add up to a fortune.  And of course, a huge step backwards for the evolution on technology :(

Exactly! :(

:angry:
-----

anything