Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: New VDSL plate  (Read 60741 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: New VDSL plate
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2014, 10:14:09 AM »

Hope that isn't the case (unless it will benefit my connection) as I've recently purchased two.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2014, 01:49:46 PM »

This filter has done work on my connection, instantly grabbed me 4db back on DS.

Connection has been rock steady for many months now, I still have some REIN but that's to be expected where I live.

Tazz

« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2014, 10:52:13 AM »

I brought one of these... I was syncing at 75 meg now 76meg so cannot complain. The Line attenuation went up by 0.1 mind but who cares if you are getting more speed. :D Happy either way.  :P

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2014, 03:18:23 PM »

I brought one of these... I was syncing at 75 meg now 76meg so cannot complain. The Line attenuation went up by 0.1 mind but who cares if you are getting more speed. :D Happy either way.  :P

It's more likely to benefactor with people with longer connections, as there is more chance of REIN or RFI. You will find your line attenuation will change a tiny amount when you re-sync sometimes, the filter is very likely to be the cause of that 0.1 and is really irrelevant.

Darren

« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2014, 01:25:40 AM »

I think it's not an issue unless your line is impacted, then all that will happen is it's not as effective in defending your line.

Just ordered one anyway, the neighbours house alarm has started playing up and theres noise accross the whole band. When they turn it off attainable goes up 3Mb so it'll be interesting what happens.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2014, 07:04:39 PM »

Not sure if they can be trusted but a user on BTs forum claims the MK2s have a small issue:

"Id hold off getting one of these untill they have fixed the rein filter issues..."
"Doesnt cause any issues. Its just not very effective and a new revision is being implemented to bring it up to standard."

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/VDSL-MK2-front-plate-avalibility/m-p/1131516#M122564

Did anything come of this?  Was it nonsense?  True, and now fixed? or ?

I was about to order a Mk2, then remembered this thread.  Should I wait to see if a revised version appears?

Ian

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #96 on: February 27, 2014, 07:15:01 PM »

Hmm ?? I've not heard of any issues with the MK2 ?? Yes, there was a bad batch got out into the field once, the actual plates wouldn't allow ADSL/VDSL synch, but would allow the PSTN frequency through it.

Is 'Deathtrap' on the BT Community in touch with the Chief Engineers Office, or our boffins at Adastral park ?? How does he know they're not effective ?? Ask him for proof or where he's got his info from, I'm not saying he's bulling, I'd like to know myself but am not going on a BT Forum.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #97 on: February 27, 2014, 07:24:06 PM »

Hmm ?? I've not heard of any issues with the MK2 ?? Yes, there was a bad batch got out into the field once, the actual plates wouldn't allow ADSL/VDSL synch, but would allow the PSTN frequency through it.

Is 'Deathtrap' on the BT Community in touch with the Chief Engineers Office, or our boffins at Adastral park ?? How does he know they're not effective ?? Ask him for proof or where he's got his info from, I'm not saying he's bulling, I'd like to know myself but am not going on a BT Forum.

As it was only one source, and especially as you say you've not heard of any issues with the MK2s, then I'm going to presume he's "bulling", or has got a confused version of the story of the bad batch you mention.

As a result, I'm comfortable ordering one now, once I decide which well-known auction site seller looks the most trustworth.  I don't want to pay £10 and receive an LJ2/1A that's got "MK2" crudely written on with a magic marker pen.  :no:

Ian

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #98 on: February 27, 2014, 07:43:48 PM »

Ye Gods ...... I hope 'Deathtrap' doesn't turn out to be BT's single-point-of-contact for all things 'MK2 faceplate' related, and is the foremost leading expert on the subject ??

Still, I'd go ahead and purchase one, Ian. LOL at 2/1A with MK2 scribbled across it .....  :lol: :lol:

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #99 on: February 27, 2014, 07:51:22 PM »

As a result, I'm comfortable ordering one now, once I decide which well-known auction site seller looks the most trustworth.  I don't want to pay £10 and receive an LJ2/1A that's got "MK2" crudely written on with a magic marker pen.  :no:

Ian

I can personally recommend this one, I actually picked mine up from the guys house  :P A few others on here and TBB forums have also ordered from him.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2014, 08:00:33 PM »

Ha ha, looking at the link it appears one of our boys is taking 'Capitalism' to its fullest meaning ?  ;) :)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2014, 09:15:32 PM »

As I was reading the replies, my Sunday evening REIN arrived early!  This is the reason I'm keen to mitigate it's effects as much as possible.

I'm pleased to find that switching from the TalkTalk HG533 to the BT HG612 has made a distinct improvement.  Previously, when the REIN started, the connection would hang for around 5 minutes on 0.2db SNR, then resynch around 2meg lower than is usual in normal conditions.

The BT HG612 SNR drops from 6.1 to around 2, but hangs onto the line.  Bitswaps and errors shoot up, but so far it remains useable, though a speedtest.net just now showed my throughput had dropped from a very flat 16meg to an very up and downy 10Meg.

Now that I'm plotting the REIN and it's timings, I'm hoping to correlate it to .. well, something.  I reckon it might be TV related, as it seems to start just before or just after the hour, and run for 60 or 90 minutes - ie a long TV show/film ?  Usually Sundays, occasionally another day in the week as well (ie right now)

Ian

ps sorry bit off topic, but this is the reason I'm looking to get a MK2 to further reduce the effects of the noise!

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2014, 04:49:49 AM »

The MK2 doesnt always mean will get a boost, however I have never seen anyone report a MK2 making their line worse, so I would go ahead and get one.

Plus black sheep has been deploying them in the field so I respect his word on this.

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2014, 07:52:07 AM »

The MK2 doesnt always mean will get a boost, however I have never seen anyone report a MK2 making their line worse, so I would go ahead and get one.

Plus black sheep has been deploying them in the field so I respect his word on this.

"Not making things worse" isn't much consolation when you have paid out money for nothing, and consumer protection legislation doesn't cut in above a specific price. A negligible amount to a millionaire isn't the same for a schoolchild.

I recall someone slagging off the I plate as it didn't make any difference for him after it had been advertised as "Magic Accelerator ! "  - fair comment.

It would be very useful if performance was specified properly so as not to raise false expectations. For instance this faceplate may well reduce interference but not if it comes in via the power line ! 

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2014, 10:44:53 AM »

It would be very useful if performance was specified properly so as not to raise false expectations. For instance this faceplate may well reduce interference but not if it comes in via the power line !

In my case it seems to be coming in on both the phone line and the mains.  The mains is radiating it around a fair area - I can hear it as a strong buzzing noise whilst I walk up and down the road with a MW radio.

Isolating my modem from the mains, by running it from a 12volt car battery (as I did last night) doesn't seem to make any difference at all during the interference, although I was unable to completely isolate it due to LAN cables linking it to other mains connected equipment.

I shall probably order my Mk2 over the weekend, if nothing else it'll be interesting to see what it does/doesn't achieve  :)

Ian
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

anything