Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Garden Shed Broadband  (Read 4285 times)

JGO

• Reg Member

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Garden Shed Broadband
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 03:30:28 PM »

The writer obviously likes homeplugs, although even he admits that they can cause significant interference to others in the area. My preference would be to lay an ethernet cable from the house to the shed, probably in plastic ducting for protection. It could be shallowly buried at the back of a border, or tacked to a fence, whatever suits the particular terrain.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 04:54:55 PM »

Cat5e or Cat6 Ethernet cable in a length of hosepipe would be my first thought . . . and my second thought would be to ensure that the Ethernet cable is run as far away as possible from the mains supply that feeds the shed.

I'm sure sheddyian will know all the best procedures!  ;D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 07:56:01 PM »

" Cat5e or Cat6 Ethernet cable in a length of hosepipe would be my first thought "

I seem to remember using fibre optic leads some tens of yards long in the 70s but don't seem to be about now ( Probably standard on aircraft to eliminate interference ) I conclude BT are using Pilkington's full capacity !?

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 08:01:56 PM »

Cat5e or Cat6 Ethernet cable in a length of hosepipe would be my first thought . . . and my second thought would be to ensure that the Ethernet cable is run as far away as possible from the mains supply that feeds the shed.

I'm sure sheddyian will know all the best procedures!  ;D

Um, well.

As with many shed-related activities, I set it up as a temporary thing about 3 years ago.  It's a length of cat6* cable running frmo a gigabit switch indoors to a gigabit switch in the shed.  It's not actually protected by anything, it's sort of laying along the ground adjacent to the neighbours fence.

I had intended to at least tack it to the fence, but...  :-[

So far I've had no problem with it at all, but I really would advise that you don't follow my "temporary" set up and put it in some kind of physical protection against garden tools/children/animals/rain and UVlight - I'd guess most cables aren't intended to be exposed to the sun and might start to break down.

Ian

*I like to imagine the foil shielding on the cat6 acts as a sort of armouring to protect it against biting insects.  Maybe.

z1ts

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 06:58:10 AM »

If anyone's 'looking on' just about to run Ethernet to an outbuilding/shed here's a tip:-

Having run a lot of delicate cables in my time (mainly Audio related - imagine Cat5 divide by about 10!) in most unsuitable terrain I'd very strongly suggest using standard mains water pipe (the MDPE stuff that's either blue or black - my preference is black as it doesn't 'hit you in the face' visually!), it's virtually crushproof (even when buried at a considerable depth), very difficult to damage with strimmer/hedgecutter etc, is easy to work with and form bends in, comes in a range of sizes for differing quantities of cables, is totally waterproof, comes in mega long lengths so no need for joins that are a PITA when running in the cable(s) and is mega cheap (approx £0.75 per metre)!!!

So my thoughts on the subject - feel free to ignore!!!!

Regards

z1ts

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 07:16:02 AM »

Bloody hell !!! I've been running cables all my working life (Various sizes), and that, sir, is a great idea !! <Wondering why I've never come across this before icon ??>.  :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 10:21:13 AM »

Used it before for running cables that were going in after the floor was put down. Installed the pipe before the floor went down and just pushed the cables in afterwards. Also back in the 90's when I ran an alarm cable out to my garage. Probably not a good idea for mains power like my brother did, unless you install warning tape, which he didn't.

It comes in different sizes as well, only 52 per meter  from screwfix
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D