Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: New VDSL plate  (Read 60745 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
New VDSL plate
« on: October 10, 2013, 09:49:14 PM »

Not sure if this is in the right place ???

Network Engineering have introduced an improved VDSL Interstitial Plate. The new version has the proven functionality to meet existing FTTC Bandplan (17Mhz), plus is future proofed against any further increases up to 30Mhz.

This will ensure that customers receive the highest possible bandwidth, both now and into the future.

In addition, a filter has been provided to add resistance to Repetitive Electrical Interference (REIN).

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: New VDSL plate
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 09:55:59 PM »

That's interesting, especially as it does seem to coincide with some very recent strange goings on with DSLAM and/or modem firmware updates (additional tones, additional band plan (U4) & materially 'different' connection stats.

Are you aware of any such updates?
If so, it would be really helpful if you were able to explain them for us.

P.S. if you wish to obtain any user testing feedback for the new VDSL Interstitial Plate, I think you have a rough idea where I am based ;)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 10:11:57 PM »

I'm not aware of any updates at all, I'm afraid ?? The only thing I have noticed (and this is purely on an individual basis), is the dramatic rise in faulty VDSL ports in ECI Cabs ??
By 'dramatic', I mean instead of coming across perhaps one a week, I'm getting one a day. Linked to anything ?? I really have no idea ??  :)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
New BT Openreach vDSL Faceplate
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 12:13:50 PM »

Just had BTO on a job here (REIN problems) and they have replaced my vDSL faceplate with a 'MK2'. It looks identical apart from the 'MK2' on the front.

The engineer said it had an RF filter built in.

That's all I know!

Has anybody had experience of one of these?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Re: New BT Openreach vDSL Faceplate
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 12:38:19 PM »

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,13043.0.html

;)

My bad :). I didn't see that.

OR are getting a REIN engineer out within a week hopefully, to fix my problems

Could somebody merge these threads please?!?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 12:47:35 PM »

Where are you based Alec ?? I'm overrun with REIN faults at the moment ........ a few of which have proved otherwise  ::) ......... I can see via the workstacks there's at least two more coming my way as well.  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »

Merged and placed in the hardware section.
  Eric

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 12:52:00 PM »

black sheep I am still intrigued by "faulty ports".

As I understand an engineer to do a port swap (lift and shift) has to swap the tie pair, because they have no access to the fTTC cabinet.  So these are been diagnosed as faulty ports, but it could be a bad tie pair?

Doesnt it sound odd that these cabinets which are of course expensive would have failing ports at such a high rate?

How do you normally diagnose a bad port, what are the signs?  You noticed my posts lately showing a weakened D1 signal? which is the frequency under very low attenuation.

A local engineer diagnosed my issue as bad pairs rather than faulty ports.  It seems tho he could have easily diagnosed it as bad ports instead.

If you diagnosing 1 a week bad you will eventually run out of ports in 2 years :)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 12:55:55 PM »

Where are you based Alec ?? I'm overrun with REIN faults at the moment ........ a few of which have proved otherwise  ::) ......... I can see via the workstacks there's at least two more coming my way as well.  :)

Hampshire.

The engineer (A I'll call him - I don't want to use his full name in case OR have a problem with it) who came to me this morning said the REIN team are 'very busy', but he said it may take (up to) a week, so he kind of implied it would be quicker than that (I hope it will be too).

He said the interference was coming from 'further up' (i.e. not between the cabinet and the exchange and not between the cabinet and me), so somebody 'further up' has a faulty appliance interfering with the line. He said my line quality was actually very good, but the REIN was causing too many errors for OR to be 'comfortable' to close the fault. He showed me the REIN with his portable radio by pointing at the master socket and a very high-pitched buzz can be heard. However, that's all he could use so he said he'll get a 'REIN case built'.

I have attached an example of this REIN to the line (it is there all the time, but it most characteristic by these large drops in the SNRM).

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 01:07:21 PM »

question is how does one get one of these faceplates? I mean someone who already has vdsl installed so wont be getting one from an install engineer, I guess wait for black market on ebay?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 01:24:03 PM »

I would also like one to try, guess I'll be looking on eBay, but then you never really know if you will get a genuine one.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 01:33:06 PM »

I would also like one to try, guess I'll be looking on eBay, but then you never really know if you will get a genuine one.

Wait for your line to become faulty :)

I don't know if OR are only handing them out on REIN cases (as that's how I got mine). The fact that its only improvement appears to be the addition of an RF filter, which would only help people with REIN trouble.

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 02:42:32 PM »

question is how does one get one of these faceplates? I mean someone who already has vdsl installed so wont be getting one from an install engineer, I guess wait for black market on ebay?

Yes, I asked myself the same question two days ago. They started appearing on the famous auction site yesterday but as I have an engineer visit on Monday I will be asking him to replace mine.

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 02:45:39 PM »

He said the interference was coming from 'further up' (i.e. not between the cabinet and the exchange and not between the cabinet and me), so somebody 'further up' has a faulty appliance interfering with the line. He said my line quality was actually very good, but the REIN was causing too many errors for OR to be 'comfortable' to close the fault. He showed me the REIN with his portable radio by pointing at the master socket and a very high-pitched buzz can be heard. However, that's all he could use so he said he'll get a 'REIN case built'.

I have attached an example of this REIN to the line (it is there all the time, but it most characteristic by these large drops in the SNRM).

I've had REIN issues for a very long while, the engineer agreed it was REIN himself but after doing his tests and even reporting to OR they will not waste too much time to try and find it. I hope they don't do the same thing to you what they have done to me, luckily I have a engineer planned for Monday. Though I do believe it will have the same outcome I need to keep pushing to get this fixed...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 03:02:21 PM by ryant704 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9