Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Possible HG612 remote firmware update?  (Read 40561 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Possible HG612 remote firmware update?
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2013, 06:22:49 PM »

Positive thing Bitswaps per tone now works again! My overall opinion of the firmware update, total dog c**p.

are you going to stick with the new firmware or go back ?

Stick with it for the moment, perform a few tests that I want to do and If anything else needs to be tested I'm happy being the lab rat.

same here will wait for a few weeks and see if the Interleaving drops back to the norm or maybe the firmware is saying to the DLM "this line needs 1215 I depth" and be stuck on it for the duration of the 40/10 life span  :-\ and two weeks feels like an eternity

PS I whish I had never gone down the Modem Stats hobby as it can take over your life  :lol:

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2013, 07:21:22 PM »

PS I whish I had never gone down the Modem Stats hobby as it can take over your life  :lol:

LOL, you do eventually get over it, until the recent problems I'd often go days without looking at the stats, maybe even a week! I tended to just check the BQM ping monitor, can see straight away if anything untoward has happened.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2013, 10:06:47 PM »

LOL, you do eventually get over it, until the recent problems I'd often go days without looking at the stats, maybe even a week! I tended to just check the BQM ping monitor, can see straight away if anything untoward has happened.

A week with out looking at stats  :o well my normal quick glance was 192.168.1.1 but thats gone now, and BE1 ongoing stats won't work, so it's a quick Icon to DSLstats

One2Go

« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2013, 12:08:01 PM »

So this morning  my modem has been attacked by BT with new firmware. i lost gui (The connection has timed out
The server at 192.168.1.1 is taking too long to respond.) and Telnet (C:\>Telnet 192.168.1.1
Connecting To 192.168.1.1...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: C
onnect failed).

Is there anything i can do to get telnet back?

Forgive my ignorance i am learning
Was on 5mb, now on 60mb on 80/20. stable never had a major issue

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2013, 05:21:37 PM »

So this morning  my modem has been attacked by BT with new firmware. i lost gui (The connection has timed out
The server at 192.168.1.1 is taking too long to respond.) and Telnet (C:\>Telnet 192.168.1.1
Connecting To 192.168.1.1...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: C
onnect failed).

Is there anything i can do to get telnet back?

Forgive my ignorance i am learning

I had the same thing happen. See this thread for a possible solution:

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,13067.0.html

BBN

unaszplodrmann

• Just arrived
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2013, 02:38:54 PM »

A quick FYI: I was running the last firmware package with the new blob and after receiving the update, telnet is still available at a manually configured address. Needless to say, it was the disappearance of the web interface that alerted me to the update.

Greybeard33

« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2013, 07:49:02 PM »

A quick FYI: I was running the last firmware package with the new blob and after receiving the update, telnet is still available at a manually configured address. Needless to say, it was the disappearance of the web interface that alerted me to the update.
For the benefit of future readers of this thread: telnet remains available after the update if any change to the default modem configuration has previously been saved. However, a "long reset" (holding the reset button for several seconds) will load the new default configuration and all LAN access will then be blocked. See this post by Howlingwolf for the technical explanation: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13130.msg247609#msg247609

piatoakside

• Just arrived
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2013, 08:50:36 PM »

I still have telnet access despite the fact that I did a long reset - more than once, after I lost the GUI.  In my case I had also changed the address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.101 for router compatibility.  My changed address has not been affected by the BT software change or the resets

Greybeard33

« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2013, 10:52:04 PM »

I still have telnet access despite the fact that I did a long reset - more than once, after I lost the GUI.  In my case I had also changed the address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.101 for router compatibility.  My changed address has not been affected by the BT software change or the resets
Hi Piatoakside - welcome to the forum, and apologies for not replying sooner.

From your description it appears that you did not actually succeed in resetting the modem to the default configuration - this should definitely change the IP address back to 192.168.1.1. The "long reset" requires the reset button on the modem to be firmly depressed for at least 10 seconds continuously, starting with the modem powered and booted up. A shorter press will just trigger a reboot without changing the configuration.

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2013, 12:13:49 AM »

We assumed they removed the Web GUI so we can't access the line stats anymore, though If I thought if they were attempting to achieve this...

Why on earth would they add the formula for the Line Attenuation? I feel the removel of the WebGUI was for a different purpose...

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2013, 05:27:58 PM »

We assumed they removed the Web GUI so we can't access the line stats anymore, though If I thought if they were attempting to achieve this...

Why on earth would they add the formula for the Line Attenuation? I feel the removel of the WebGUI was for a different purpose...

Ermm...

'we' didn't assume anything of the kind. It was an initial assessment I made after my initial examination of the new firmware. That's why I used the terms 'preliminary results' in the title and 'first look' in the post body.

Since then it's become obvious that while most of the config changes are aimed solely at blocking access, (there are only two which refer to anything else), the removal of the web interface is at least partially due to space considerations. My rebuilt images with the web interface restored encroach the 'spare flash area' by either one or two blocks depending on the presence of the BTAgent.

I'm fairly sure the line attenuation bug you mention is a separate issue as this is somewhere in the underlying interface/driver layer, not the web interface which works normally for non VDSL2 connections.

Of course, it's entirely possible that it's a combination of both which might explain why downstream is now available and upstream is not.

BTW: The only changes I made to the web interface were removing the non-functional BTAgent interface components to reduce the size of the webimg file and some minor cosmetic changes. Engrish spelling and grammar to English.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2013, 11:02:16 PM »

whats bigger in the firmware then to make it go over the limit?

My ultimate firmware would be the old firmware with the new blob and btagent removed.

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2013, 01:30:22 AM »

whats bigger in the firmware then to make it go over the limit?

Ah... Now this is one of those things which can sneak up and bite you on the arse if you're not paying proper attention.

One of the tests I ran while investigating this was to remove all of the files missing in B030 from B028 and the one extra file from B030, then build new squash filesystems. The B030 squashfs file was 128K bigger than B028 despite having the 'same' files in both filesystems.

What's changed is obviously the compressibility of those files.

As it happens, the total size of the changed files is actually smaller than those in B028  :)

My ultimate firmware would be the old firmware with the new blob and btagent removed.

That doesn't appear to be possible. Although, I must admit I only ran one test with the new blob in the B028 firmware right at the beginning and moved on when I saw it caused xdslcmd to seg-fault during the boot process.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2013, 05:16:13 AM »

ok I dont blame you, at least you tried tho.

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2013, 06:00:11 PM »

ok I dont blame you, at least you tried tho.

I was fairly sure it wouldn't work when I saw that the kernel, the bcm/adsl drivers and the xdsl components had all been rebuilt, but it's something which needed to be tested at least once.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

anything