Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Possible HG612 remote firmware update?  (Read 40564 times)

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
Re: Possible HG612 remote firmware update?
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2013, 02:41:24 AM »

<snip> I can't see why oprenreach would send a firmware update to lock us out as they have more urgent things to fix than stopping us logging the stats and they should know it will be hacked again in a matter of weeks so why bother  :P

Par for the course I'm afraid. These sort of decisions are often made by beancounters who don't understand the technology and don't trust those who do.  :-\

Over in the Thinkbroadband Fibre Broadband Forum Ronski posted a query --

I haven't seen anyone that says they've extracted the new firmware, is that even possible?

A certain black neko responded thus --

Yes, it is possible.

(1) Connect an unlocked HG612 to a line carrying a VDSL2 service.
(2) Wait. Once per day, check the firmware version via telnet access.
(3) When the new firmware is seen to be in situ, power down and disconnect the HG612.
(4) Dismantle the HG612 and carefully remove the flash chip from the PCB.
(5) Mount the flash chip in a suitable cradle and connect to an appropriate reader.
(6) With a system running Unix (or a Linux kernel based OS), suck the data from the flash chip via the reader to a file.

A copy of the firmware image can then be 'broken down' into its component parts. Of particular interest will be the new Broadcom binary blob.

Etc.  ;)

Ah, yes...

Now I remember why I rarely visit the TBB forums these days...

Once the new Broadcom binary blob has been isolated, Wolfy (a.k.a. Howlingwolf) could perhaps insert that driver into his customised firmware package . . .  :-\

heh. I shall certainly try once I can get my hands on a copy. I may need to use the jtag port as there doesn't seem to be any way to access the kernel mtdblock from the running system.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2013, 08:32:07 AM »

ronski you seem tthe only one on here who has the changes on a eCI cabinet, did the band plans change on ECI?

Also with the web interface gone does that include the web interface for the modem flash page?

boe323

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2013, 09:28:52 AM »

Firmware update page is still there, I flashed back to modded firmware, I don't believe the webui as been removed, maybe just moved somewhere else, how is bt going to check the modem and configure certain parts without the interface, yes theres telnet, but I think firewall and a few others cant be set through telnet, if im wrong please correct.

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2013, 09:30:55 AM »

Also with the web interface gone does that include the web interface for the modem flash page?

It doesn't appear to as I was able to restore the original firmware prior to the engineer's visit.

EDIT: Beat me to it Boe  ;D

I would hazard a guess that anything they needed to do would be done via their 'spy-in-the-box', BTAgent.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 09:34:36 AM by Howlingwolf »

krypton

• Reg Member
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2013, 04:43:29 PM »

Yes, it is possible.

(1) Connect an unlocked HG612 to a line carrying a VDSL2 service.
(2) Wait. Once per day, check the firmware version via telnet access.
(3) When the new firmware is seen to be in situ, power down and disconnect the HG612.
(4) Dismantle the HG612 and carefully remove the flash chip from the PCB.
(5) Mount the flash chip in a suitable cradle and connect to an appropriate reader.
(6) With a system running Unix (or a Linux kernel based OS), suck the data from the flash chip via the reader to a file.

A copy of the firmware image can then be 'broken down' into its component parts. Of particular interest will be the new Broadcom binary blob.

Etc.  ;)

Isn't there an easier way to get the image?
Maybe it is possible to observe the update process to get the download link to the image?
Possibly some log files are generated during the update?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2013, 07:40:41 PM »

Just been into HG612 using Telnet it's not my favourite way to access it and having to learn a whole host of new commands and yes it looks like the new firmware has added more parameters from the looks of it, and the version I see is AnnexA Version A2PV6C038.D24J yet the Mode shows as VDSL2 Annex B

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2013, 07:44:04 PM »

Just been into HG612 using Telnet it's not my favourite way to access it and having to learn a whole host of new commands and yes it looks like the new firmware has added more parameters from the looks of it

? Such as the ones BE posted?

the version I see is AnnexA Version A2PV6C038.D24J yet the Mode shows as VDSL2 Annex B

My version is A2pv6C035m.d22g (Non updated) though the mode has always shown VDSL2 Annex B.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2013, 07:53:36 PM »

? Such as the ones BE posted?

not the ones BE1 has posted but my own.

BusyBox v1.9.1 (2013-06-01 18:30:08 CST) built
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

# xdslcmd info -- version
xdslcmd: too many parameters
# xdslcmd info --version
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 0
Last initialization procedure status:   0
Max:    Upstream rate = 6697 Kbps, Downstream
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 6678 Kbps, Downstre

xdslcmd version 1.0
DSL PHY: AnnexA version - A2pv6C038m.d24j
******* Pass *********

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2013, 07:54:02 PM »

My version is A2pv6C035m.d22g (Non updated) though the mode has always shown VDSL2 Annex B.

Ah, that's the 'new' BLOB that asbokid provided a while ago.

I wonder if using that BLOB has actually blocked the HG612's firmware update?

e.g:-

if A2pv6C030b.d22g (original unlocked firmware) then update
          else do nothing.

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2013, 08:00:28 PM »

else do nothing.

I had a similar thought a moment ago, I wouldn't imagine it would block it. (My MSAN hasn't been updated yet so I doubt it!)

Some people are reporting no access to Telnet after the update perhaps depending on the firmware you had before could be the cause of this. (Unlikely but a possibility)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2013, 08:35:19 PM »

My question is can I turn my HG612 leds back on using Telnet commands and if so could you post the the required telnet paramaters, just incase I need them back online while the GUI to Hg612 is being fixed  :-[

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2013, 08:40:17 PM »

My question is can I turn my HG612 leds back on using Telnet commands and if so could you post the the required telnet paramaters, just incase I need them back online while the GUI to Hg612 is being fixed  :-[

Everything that was available in GUI is accessible through telnet, there are more options. It's just finding and knowing the commands... I'm sure Roseway or Wolf will be able to help you out!

Greybeard33

« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2013, 09:17:23 PM »

It doesn't appear to as I was able to restore the original firmware prior to the engineer's visit.
I wonder if the firmware update GUI is part of the bootloader, separate from the interface to the operational firmware? As protection against a corrupt firmware update "bricking" the modem? The style of the update webpage is different to the normal ones, and there is no mention of the modem make or model - it might be generic to the Broadcom chipset.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2013, 09:18:01 PM »

Everything that was available in GUI is accessible through telnet, there are more options. It's just finding and knowing the commands... I'm sure Roseway or Wolf will be able to help you out!

Cheers ryant704 i feel very vulnerable at the moment without the GUI it was my first port of call to see whats going on and then do a graph with BE1 & Co software to look deeper into the stats, and fired up DSLstats software as Graphing (ongoing stats) has not been working since Friday.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 09:25:03 PM by NewtronStar »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2013, 10:01:29 PM »

ronski you seem tthe only one on here who has the changes on a eCI cabinet, did the band plans change on ECI?

I've had two modems update now at separate locations (home & work) both on ECI cabs.

I did post a link on TB to my logs, but here's my band plans.

Code: [Select]
Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (6,31) (882,1193) (1984,2770)
DS: (33,857) (1218,1959) (2795,4083)
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (6,31) (882,1193) (1984,2702)
DS: (41,857) (1218,1959) (2795,3924)

else do nothing.

I wasn't using the original unlocked firmware, there was a modified one floating around from around March bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B028SP10ulk003-1364525729, this still updated to the latest firmware.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

anything