Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Possible HG612 remote firmware update?  (Read 40551 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Possible HG612 remote firmware update?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 02:10:43 PM »

My own Huawei band plans changed this morning, but it appears that the modem's firmware hasn't yet updated as the data stored in the logs is still in the original format.

Product type  EchoLife HG612   
Hardware version  VER.B 
Software version  V100R001C01B028SP10 
Firmware version  A2pv6C030b.d22g 
Batch number  BC1P10.028.A2pv6C030b.d22g 
System up time  16 days 22 hours 36 minutes 29 seconds 

My programs are still working as intended, but I am already working on the necessary adjustments that will accommodate the firmware updates.
Going off what I have read so far, I expect the modem's firmware to be updated over the next couple of days or so.

It appears that GRAPH6.EXE can still plot the 'current' data from a Huawei DSLAM, but not when it has been obtained from an ECI DSLAM.
That looks like a very minor tweak is needed at first glance, which I'll hopefully sort out this evening.

Ongoing data harvesting via HG612_stats.exe needs some adjustment to work with the new data format(s) in various areas of the harvested data.
I expect that to take a little longer, but I'll get stuck in tonight & release updated programs a.s.a.p.

boe323

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 03:28:46 PM »

You can flash back the old firmware, we just need someone to patch the new one.

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 03:43:17 PM »

You can flash back the old firmware, we just need someone to patch the new one.

Once you have re-flashed the hacked firmware on, load up telnet and run the following command.

killall -KILL start btagent

The modem won't be allowed to update anymore, at least that is what I believe. I have BT Agent disabled and still haven't been updated but depending on location it can take a while.

boe323

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 04:03:41 PM »

Thanks, im thinking at the moment whether to let it update again, I only need telnet access. There must be a way to disable the firewall using telnet?, I presume its been turned back on by the new firmware, that's why web ui is blocked again I recon.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 04:23:16 PM »

As far as I can tell (from data posted by other users since their dual firmware updates), telnet access is still available, despite the GUI being disabled.

The GUI's URL was http://192.168.1.1/html/content.asp pre-modem firmware update.
I wonder if entering that directly would bring up the GUI?

I can't test it as only the DSLAM has updated on my connection, so far.

Greybeard33

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 05:15:20 PM »

As far as I can tell (from data posted by other users since their dual firmware updates), telnet access is still available, despite the GUI being disabled.

The GUI's URL was http://192.168.1.1/html/content.asp pre-modem firmware update.
I wonder if entering that directly would bring up the GUI?

I can't test it as only the DSLAM has updated on my connection, so far.
No. The error message varies with the browser (e.g. "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage") but diagnostics shows that the HTTP port is closed. Ping still works.

boe323

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2013, 05:31:41 PM »

Cant you add the http access using telnet, or disable the firewall through telnet?, there must be a way, everything else is configurable through telnet?

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2013, 06:04:07 PM »

Cant you add the http access using telnet, or disable the firewall through telnet?, there must be a way, everything else is configurable through telnet?

Once the root of the problem has been found it's very likely it can be...

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2013, 08:17:06 PM »

I had this happen to me a couple of weeks ago...   The day before my line failed altogether  ???

So I had to restore the original locked firmware, jump through BT's hoops in the right order, wait for an engineer to come out...

That took six days and while he was here, he decided to swap out the modem because he "didn't like how long it was taking to sync".  Left me with an older rev 2B instead of the rev 3B which was originally installed.

So I decided to get a spare from a certain online market we all know, unlock that and keep BT issued one "untainted" in case of further problems.

While I was at it, I rebuilt the rootfs to completely disable BTAgent using asbokid's toolkit. That took a while as the 64bit version of mksquashfs doesn't work properly and the damn thing won't compile. Fortunately asbokid had provided a compiled 32bit version. I just had to build a 64bit virtual machine, install the 32bit compatibility libraries, etc...

As the saying goes. It never rains, but it pours :-X

Since then I've been trying to find a way of extracting the updated firmware from the flashmem via telnet. If I can do that then I'll let the spare update itself and grab it.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2013, 08:26:41 PM »

^-^  Wolfy. It's been a while since you've been seen here.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2013, 08:40:36 PM »

^-^  Wolfy. It's been a while since you've been seen here.  ;)

heh, I've been lurking...

Seriously, I always check in but until now I've had nothing to contribute. My research on the HH3B is on hold as I simply wasn't getting anywhere.

boe323

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2013, 02:54:58 PM »

yay, does this mean you will be patching the new firmware seeing as you know what to do? :whip:

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2013, 03:51:57 PM »

yay, does this mean you will be patching the new firmware seeing as you know what to do? :whip:

:whip:  <-- You can keep that infernal device to yourself  :-\

Greybeard33 mentions here [1] he couldn't find the web interface files, so it may not be possible to patch this one. Extracting the new PHY driver blob should be fairly trivial but more than that I can't say until I get a look at the thing.

[1] - http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,13041.msg246275.html#msg246275

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2013, 03:59:30 PM »

This would make sense if they had to change other things in the new firmware.  I seem to recall it mentioned that the flash chip in the HG612 is very small so it makes no sense including a potentially large web interface when its not going to be used.

From what was posted earlier it also appears things have changed in xdslcmd which could perhaps have broken the web interface stats.  Much easier to just drop the whole thing than fix something which again is not even being used.  Its not that brilliant for us though.

I assume they will be releasing the source code of the changes though?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2013, 05:37:17 PM »

This would make sense if they had to change other things in the new firmware.  I seem to recall it mentioned that the flash chip in the HG612 is very small so it makes no sense including a potentially large web interface when its not going to be used.

It's only small, relatively speaking, because of the dual image configuration. There are some fairly sophisticated devices with NAS-like capabilities, media streaming, bittorrent and a whole host of other bells and whistles on the market using 8MB flash.

From what was posted earlier it also appears things have changed in xdslcmd which could perhaps have broken the web interface stats.  Much easier to just drop the whole thing than fix something which again is not even being used.  Its not that brilliant for us though.

I assume they will be releasing the source code of the changes though?

If they do, it won't contain any of the Broadcom or Openreach internal source.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

anything