Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL modem recommendation  (Read 7521 times)

rfinnovations

• Just arrived
ADSL modem recommendation
« on: November 22, 2013, 01:13:47 AM »

Really glad to have found this forum!

I know that ADSL is poor man's internet in most of the world, but here in Australia it's all we've got, unless you have serious money to pay for fibre to be run to your office. Our current modem syncs at around 18000/1000 kbps, but with only a 5 dB link margin. There doesn't seem to be any way to make it sync slower for a better link margin, and there are absolutely no statistics on frame loss, checksum errors, discards etc over the ADSL link.

Can anyone recommend an ADSL modem (or router which can be put in bridge mode) with some or all of the following features:
- ADSL2+ support
- ADSL sync speed configurable
- Shows signal to noise ratio, line attenuation etc
- Gives statistics on frame loss / checksum mismatches at the AAL5/ATM level
- Gives statistics on discards due to buffer overflow etc
- Preferably has a CLI interface for configuring and monitoring

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: ADSL modem recommendation
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 01:44:16 AM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

Looking at your "wish list", I would suggest a device with a Broadcom chipset. If it is anyway possible for you to obtain one, I would definitely recommend a Huawei HG612 . . . once flashed with the unlocked firmware, of course.  ;)

If you haven't yet seen it, there is a section in the Kitz wiki that shows how to use a HG612 with an ADSL2+, ADSL2 or G.Dmt service.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

rfinnovations

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 02:07:20 AM »

Thank you burakkucat!

Unfortunately it seems we can't get Huawei ADSL gear here. I looked in the wiki for other hardware with the same chipset (BCM6368) and it looks like the only option we can get is the Netgear DGND3700 v1, but I couldn't see a page for that model in the wiki so I don't know whether there is custom firmware for it.

Is it important to be BCM6368, or any Broadcom chipset is fine? Manufacturers we have access to are Billion, Linksys, Netgear and TP-Link. Do you have a recommendation for a model from one of those companies?

Thanks again.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 03:23:32 AM »

Just about to go to my warm and sleepy spot . . . so a few brief comments, for now.
  • Have you checked with eBay?
  • My recommendation for Huawei devices would be: (1) HG622 (2) HG612 (3) HG610
  • For CLI "tweak-ability", a Broadcom chipset is definitely the best. The BCM6368 is very familiar to us in the UK, due to its usage in the HG612s provided for the VDSL2 service.
  • As far as I am aware, certain Billion and Netgear devices are Broadcom chip based. For recommendations, it would be best for me to leave that to other Kitizens . . .

:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

rfinnovations

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 05:54:56 AM »

Thanks again.

OK, I'm looking at this one:

http://au.billion.com/products/voip/bipac7800vdox.html
http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/hardware/?action=h_view&model_id=1360

It has a Broadcom chipset (BCM6361), firmware includes a telnet interface, also allows configuration of an SNR target in the web interface.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 06:57:20 AM »

If it's ADSL(2+) only, then the Billion 7800N is a good performer which has all the features in your list, and will be cheaper than the 7800VDOX. DSLstats works well with it too.
  Eric

rfinnovations

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 09:05:36 AM »

Thanks roseway!

Are the VDOX and the N basically the same thing, but the VDOX has VoIP? Or are there bigger differences?

Although I didn't list it as a feature, I like that the VDOX has 2x VoIP. Otherwise we'd need to buy a separate box for our VoIP.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 09:48:35 AM »

The VDOX  has a more recent Broadcom chip, which gives it VDSL2 capability. But you're right, the 7800N doesn't have VoIP.

I maintain a list of modem/routers with Broadcom DSL chips here: http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php/BCM_routers but the VDOX isn't there yet.

Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 10:02:55 AM »

Australian government, like USA, has banned Huaweiproducts.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 08:08:20 PM by renluop »

rfinnovations

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 01:37:43 PM »

Thanks roseway. I saw your list, just didn't know the difference between the chipsets.

That's interesting reluop, I didn't know that. It's a bit late though. Most of the 3G USB dongles I see around here are Huawei, and telcos have already rolled out a bunch of Huawei infrastructure :D

It's also thanks to the current government that we're stuck with ADSL. :no:

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 03:51:44 PM »

And i bet that, if you had our FTTC system, distances from cabinets would make it useless. >:D ::) :D

rfinnovations

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »

The current government is proposing mostly FTTN, and the last hop will still be ADSL on the creaky old copper network.

The previous government was rolling out FTTP, but they lost the election in a landslide so the brakes are on that now.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 03:34:56 PM »

For reference, the Billion 7800N has a Broadcom 6358 chip, whereas the newer 7800VDOX has the Broadcom 6361 chip.

Technically, the 6361 should perform better, but in practice, whether it does, is another question...

How are you getting on by the way?

anything