Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Cat Watch 2014  (Read 3089 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Cat Watch 2014
« on: October 03, 2014, 02:00:50 PM »

:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Cat Watch 2014
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 03:04:28 PM »

Are we going to see you leaping about in that program? ;D
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 03:46:08 PM »

It's very difficult trying to sleep when people with cameras keep wandering around!  :angel:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 04:02:28 PM »

What’s it like being a cat?, from the BBC.
That's interesting  8).
I have sent my daughter at uni that link as she is reading Animal Sciences.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 07:52:52 PM »

Thank you for that link b*cat - Really interesting.

I never knew that a cats hearing so good and even better than a dogs.   I was messing with something a couple of weeks ago, I cant recall what it was now - but it would play a tone for certain frequencies. It was amusing (sorry ziggy & zoe!) to watch their reaction at the high frequencies.  They were much more alarmed by high frequencies than the lower ones.

However, they can't focus on anything less than a foot away, so use their whiskers for detecting objects closer to their bodies.

This explains why when I drop something in front of them, I have to tap the floor before they can locate it.

Id seen an add the other day for the upcoming program and had already made a mental note that it would be something to watch.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 01:00:02 AM »

I hope you have been watching these great programs.

How to build a 'cat camera'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29180746
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 01:40:19 AM »

I watched the first one last night.  I'm a cat lover but I never knew that cats quite so clever when it came to the senses and agility.... and pretty high ranking in the animal kingdom.    ^-^

It also explains why I'm having so much trouble getting ziggy to take his meds.  He hides when he sees a syringe.. But that's nothing compared to the fight I have on my hands when it comes to tablets.  I'm really struggling and even the vet has difficulty.  I've tried disguising tablets in just about everything, but he always 'nose' and won't eat it.  Unfortunately he's now turning his nose up at one of his fav foods because I've tried once too often to put tablets in there too... Which isn't good when it's a struggle to get him to eat and put weight on as it is  :(

Ps the ones that are hardest to get him to take are the appetite stimulants... If I can get him to take those, then he's not quite as fussy.. It's an annoying cycle.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 01:42:43 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 02:26:55 PM »

Tablets cats easy, first get the cat in a corner of a room or up against something with it's back end so it can not wriggle away backwards. ;)
Get the tablet/s ready for you to pick up with one hand, I used my left hand to hold the cats head with my hand over it's eyes and using two fingers on that hand to gently squeeze it's checks while the other hand opens its mouth and places the tablet to the back of its mouth, still holding its head with your left hand tilt its head up a bit and with your other hand stroke under its throat and with a bit of luck it should swallow the tablet.  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 06:03:22 PM »

Tablets cats easy../snip/.. and with a bit of luck it should swallow the tablet.,

hahahaha.. meet Ziggy  ^-^

Ziggy has been very sick over the past few months with pancreatitis & triaditis  and used up a few of his 9 lives.   Because he has been so poorly he's not just been treated by my vets, but also others as he was in ICU at the AMC.  During this time he has earned a reputation as being 'a bugger when it comes to pills' even with the AMC vets.
With my vet we've tried me holding him down, her pill popping. Weve tried the nurse coming in to hold him down.   Weve tried wrapping in towels.  Weve tried those pill inject down the throat things.   One of the vets thought after a struggle she'd done the job.  Only for him to spit the pill out 1 min later.
Weve had several cases of him foaming at the mouth after trying to administer tablets.

I was a bit upset one day after one attempt..  he really wouldnt take a much needed tablet when the vet and nurse took him into the back to try administer and it was only when I got him home I realised he was limping slightly..  This I didnt realised till he got home.. but knowing how he kicks off I guess they must have held his back leg firmly - which isnt good as he has a FHO (false hip) since a kitten :'(   I didnt complain or say anything because I know he needed that tablet. :'(

My vet is now resigned to him being hard work and she will give him weekly injections of steroids rather than daily tablets.  Same with the anti-nausea meds and any antibiotics he needs during a flare up.
I also get given syringes of vetergesic to use at home rather than trying to give him pain relief tablets.  Unfortunately the appetite stimulant is pill only and it tastes very bitter - (the human version is normally dosed with sweeteners)  and he can smell it a mile off.

He's always been like this and why I have to use back of the neck drops for flea and worming.  Aside from when taking medicines, hes a sweet tempered gentle cat who is very loving and affectionate. 
-----

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 09:41:57 PM »

the other aspect which supprises is the fact a cats sense of smell is much better than a dogs.

I suppose its  because unlike a dog who needs to brag about their sense to its human masters. The cat feels its unneccesary for it to mention this to its subordanate carers

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 10:02:09 PM »

I was really surprised..  smell, hearing, taste..  all better than a dogs.   

The cat feels its unneccesary for it to mention this to its subordanate carers

Yep that must be it :D :D
-----