Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Rural broadband: How to reach the broadband notspots. With a Kitz Member <<<<<<<  (Read 2675 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24366190

I think you may recognise one of our Members Names in this write up.  :thumbs:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 07:46:38 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Rural broadband: How to reach the broadband notspots.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 02:31:34 PM »

Go Walter !!  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

From Black Sheep's comment and without looking at the link, I am sure that there will be a mention of both Ewhurst and B4RN . . . possibly with a spot of Beattie bashing, as originating from Walter's wheelbarrow!  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen

Detective Constable B*Cat, promotion beckons !!  ;) ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

b*cat bows.  :angel:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

waltergmw

• Kitizen

Ladies & Gentlemen,

I feel it is important to provide some comment, more in sadness than in anger.

However, starting with the positive, there will be many who are yet to be convinced they need any faster broadband at all, more who are within say 400 m of their PCP cabinets most able to achieve the maximum sync speed of 80 Mbps at premium prices, even more up to around 1 km from their PCP able to achieve say 30 mbps sync speed. A number of the latter group have yet to wake up to the fact that they are paying a premium price for a sub-standard service, and all ISPs are not falling over themselves to offer reduced charges in these circumstances. BS could tell us a great deal more if he had been super alert and recorded the sync speeds AFTER AT LEAST 2 DAYS. However being realistic he would probably get a severe kicking (if not worse) if he did so.

Those who would like some real-world samples might care to read this document, which has ostensibly been ignored by Surrey CC.

http://www.texp.co.uk/downloads/Broadband%20Performance%20Ewhurst%20-%20Issue%202.pdf

There is no question that some of the population will be quite content with what they can obtain until they are faced with the quite preposterous situation I found on Sunday. See my giggle note in the VDSL section. This fault was raised on 29 September and my observation suggests that NOTHING had been done up to yesterday afternoon. (Except raising two false telephone faults and now closing them.) I spent another frustrated hour yesterday "chatting" to India but, as we are now permitted to change the broadband fault contact phone or e-mail numbers / letters on-line, I assume that there is some activity. This is all obviously a state secret. I find it quite astonishing that Ofcom let BT get away with such appalling fault management via possibly three different Indian groups each at two levels with additional artificial delays imposed together with almost useless on-line fault data when compared with say PlusNet , AAISP, Zen etc. etc. (We also know that BT is not alone with poor fault management.) Again a positive, note that BT are quite capable of handling faults properly for their business clients still I believe via at least one call centre in Dundee. (Small edits now included in the para. above.)

As much of the population live in urban areas the numbers who are semi-content should hopefully be reasonably high, at least for a few years.

I hope to have sufficient time to give you some more observations shortly.

Kind regards,
Walter
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 01:26:23 PM by waltergmw »

waltergmw

• Kitizen

Gentlefolk,

Those who might be interested in some history might like to glance at the report we sent to Surrey CC in August 2011 which has been ignored too. Some of the figures will, by now, be out of date. On the enclosed map PCP 7 is having a large Huawei 288 cabinet installed with 96 lines available now. PCP 43 is also having a Huawei 96 installed at present but there's precious little else going on in the area which also has (incomplete) Virgin Media coverage too. All this is commercial development so cannot obtain any State Aid subsidy.

http://www.texp.co.uk/downloads/SCC%20submission%20Iss%202.pdf

Kind regards,
Walter

anything