Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mad looking ? I think so. Do you?  (Read 7066 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: Mad looking ? I think so. Do you?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 12:43:16 PM »

It looks like the men have well been and gone and stats look healthy (errors 12). The interleave depth has reduced through from 256 via 128 to 64 dB with sync ~6450 - 6550 kbps and margin 6dB. The only surprise is that some time yesterday, with no other change evident bar change of IP address, the margin upped to 7+ ( as I write 6.8) dB.

As to the errors files, there are two matters I am not sure about.

1. The errors files often have more than one set of listings. I believe the top listing is for the start date shown to date the file is created, but what periods do the others cover?
2. I see some error files with same sequential number (e.g 2 of errors 6) time date slightly apart but with considerable difference in figures.

I am getting confused. Can you get me unconfused please? :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 01:02:28 PM »

DSLstats saves average error data for up to 10 days. If you look at errors12.txt you'll see that each section is headed by a note saying what 24-hour period it covers. At various times and for various reasons it may reset the data and start counting from zero again, and when it does this it should save the data accumulated so far before resetting it.

The process is not perfect, and sometimes the data is reset unnecessarily or for a reason which isn't obvious. I probably should spend some more time on this, but frankly I don't think it's very valuable information in diagnosing problems so this is going to stay on the back burner for the foreseeable future. But do let me know if this is an issue for you.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 04:02:14 PM »

Thanks for that, Eric.! Accepting your comment about the 24 hour period, I keep router on overnight, but the computer is turned off. In such cases are the figures shown next morning averaged over the whole time or merely the time computer eas on the previous day?

Sorry about the unnecessary curiosity: it's all those cats around here. ;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 07:02:42 PM »

If DSLstats isn't running for part of the day, it will do its best to pick up errors and other data from where it left off, but if the down period includes a change of day, the data won't be entirely accurate.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 10:30:22 PM »

Sorry about the unnecessary curiosity: it's all those cats around here. ;D

kitten
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 04:39:18 PM »

;D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 01:10:08 PM »

Just when I think all is improving, hardly any CRCs for quite a few days, the interleave went from depth 64 to 32 and sync from 6490 to 7386. Before I retired the records kept from mid afternoon had been fine, but now CRCs are running at >900/minute, and having reset the current rate is ~4000/minute.

The DLM et al seem to go up and down like a yoyo on E. What next? Worth trying another router?......
Pages: 1 [2]