Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Java - Help please.  (Read 8154 times)

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
Java - Help please.
« on: October 02, 2013, 08:49:27 AM »

I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this, because I'm not really sure what Java is, or does  or where it came from  ::)  Every few days I get a little orange box which appears at the bottom left hand of task bar saying Java updates available.  I have just right clicked and cancelled it every time, mainly because I don't know what it is, or if it's necessary and also because I couldn't be bothered with any hassle - I still can't  ;D but I thought I'd ask  what should I be doing with this 'thing' ?   Do I need it, where is it, and what is it for ??? 

Your assistance would be appreciated, but please keep it simple  :)  Thank you.....   Kate
It's today that matters !

JGO

• Reg Member
Re: Java - Help please.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 09:35:08 AM »

I'm inclined to the old adadge "If it ain't bust don't fix it !"

Java adds functions to other programs say word processors and web browsers, BUT it can be a security weakness - Firefox blocks one version for this reason and I don't miss it !

No doubt you will receive more erudite and specific replies but it is a bit like holiday snaps - don't bother with an expensive camera you don't understand.   

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 10:20:41 AM »

Java is a programming language, and its main reason for existing is that it works on many different operating systems. So a programmer can write a program in Java, and it will work just the same on different platforms. It can be used for standalone programs, but also for applets which work within browsers and other types of software. Don't confuse it with Javascript, which is something else completely despite the similarity of name.

The updates you're referring to are very likely to be fixes for security problems, so in general I would suggest that you install them, or at least check with the Java website. See http://java.com/en/download/faq/expire_date.xml
  Eric

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 10:28:11 AM »

Thank you for the quick response  :)     

I'll look at the link Eric, thank you, and the next time it pops up I'll let it update -

Many thanks to both.   :flower:

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 10:45:27 AM »

This version of Java is the latest update...Java Runtime Environment 1.7.0.40

http://www.filehippo.com/download_jre_32/

I always update via Filehippo.

Tbh there are very few sites that require Java now.I would either keep it up to date as Eric suggests or just remove it.

If you open the control panel,then click on the Java icon you can set Java to update automatically at a time to suit or just untick the box and update manually when an update becomes available.The choice is yours.  :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 10:58:33 AM by UncleUB »

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 12:09:14 PM »

Hello Phil, Thank you for that   .... I think I will get rid of it - the less rubbish I have the better  ;D    :flower:

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 02:30:41 PM »

Hello Phil, Thank you for that   .... I think I will get rid of it - the less rubbish I have the better  ;D    :flower:
If by chance you did in future find a website you use that requires it then its easy enough to install  :)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 12:19:49 AM »

I would also add my opinion that it's important to be running the latest version of Java due to it fixing various security problems in older versions.

Once you've installed the latest update, it's worth looking at this page
http://www.java.com/en/download/uninstallapplet.jsp
which will (using Java!) check your computer for older versions and remove them if you want.

Having older versions as well as newer versions is quite possible, and can be a security issue.

Ian

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 07:39:42 AM »

Have to agree, make sure java is up to date. If you don't need it remove it or disable it at the very least!

As to where it came from, well a large percentage of computers are supplied with it pre installed, camera, phones other devices people connect to their computers as well as some websites can all require java and install java as part of the setup process.

The other annoying thing about java is it installs other software you probably don't want by default.
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 09:28:46 AM »

Thank you for  the additional replies.  It is now removed, and as Unc says I can always reinstall if necessary.   :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 11:50:37 AM »

Thank you for  the additional replies.  It is now removed, and as Unc says I can always reinstall if necessary.   :)

As you now don't have Java,what about a nice cup of Yorkshire tea.. ;D

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 04:16:17 PM »

;D    very weak and no sugar Unc please  !

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 08:00:59 PM »

Just to point out as security risk.

If you are prompted to allow a certificate to use Java make sure you know where it came from, if not they can have free roam on your computer. They are known as a Java drive by, most common type of java attack.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 11:48:10 PM »

It went down hill when it was purchased by Oracle...

It was good back when Sun had it!

anything