Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Tooway, and satellite broadband in the UK.  (Read 3887 times)

Basil

Tooway, and satellite broadband in the UK.
« on: July 19, 2013, 10:40:07 AM »

I was enquiring recently about Tooway as an alternative to my very troublesome ADSL line, out here in the sticks. A quick search showed one fairly long time, and previously seemingly very satisfied user of Tooway citing a very recent change in his contract. He claims that despite him having a fixed rate contract of X gigabytes of download allowance per month, with a speed cap thereafter, they are now operating an arbitrary cap when only half the agreed download allowance is reached. He seemed displeased..... as I would be, too.

I decided to contact a reseller of Tooway's service and was told they could not currently recommend the service as UK wide connectivity issues were prevalent, and their attempts at getting a true picture of the situation from Tooway were not being very fruitful. They were not currently taking more subscriptions.

Have Tooway overreached themselves and find their infrastructure unable to support the the demands of their user base? Very disappointing if so, I was tempted to sign, drop my BT and Zen contract and rely on my vastly underused minutes on my mobiles for normal calls.

Are there alternatives in the UK that are recommended? Thanks.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Tooway, and satellite broadband in the UK.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 02:04:17 PM »

I dont really know much about the satellite providers, but it seems a shame if people are now having problems with Tooway because it may have been one of the few alternatives for people with no better options.

Ive just had a very quick look on their website and now see the word 'Unlimited' banded around. 
I wonder if this may have anything to do with the recent problems and cause previously happy customers to become disgruntled.  The history of adsl shows far too many times where SPs have become unstuck over 'Unlimited' issues when their infrastructure cant support it.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 10:08:49 PM »

Ive just had a very quick look on their website and now see the word 'Unlimited' banded around. 
I wonder if this may have anything to do with the recent problems and cause previously happy customers to become disgruntled.  The history of adsl shows far too many times where SPs have become unstuck over 'Unlimited' issues when their infrastructure cant support it.

hmmm  and just a couple of days later it seems that I may not be the only one to think this could be the reason:-

Is the unlimited party on satellite broadband about to end?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Basil

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 02:37:17 PM »

I hadn't seen that link, thanks for posting. I have followed some disgruntled posts on another broadband forum and a representative of Tooway has appeared, but seems both coy and uncertain, as when asked what his real name was (surely not "Tooway"), and his position in posting replies suggesting contractual changes arbitrarily introduced, he went silent. Nor would / could he provide links to the original contracts and the recently changed ones. Didn't inspire confidence or respect. An approach to another reseller of satellite connectivity decided my request for information would be suitably satisfied by a sign up form with no indication of guaranteed service speeds in the (very very) small print. It's left me wondering if a provider exists in the UK who has a generally happy and satisfied customer base with a contract that doesn't seem to be changed at the provider's whim and fancy, with no recourse to normal contractual obligations? Any satisfied UK satellite subscribers out there?

CharHolds

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 11:17:43 AM »

I've only ever had problems with the satellite providers. Surprisingly, it doesn't even matte what country you're in, it always seems to be problematic. First of all, the connection speed doesn't really stay consistent. It appears it varies depending on every little meteorological change.

When it comes to dealing with stubborn Internet providers, a little bit of legal action threatening usually does the trick.

Good luck. :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 06:36:56 AM »

I've only ever had problems with the satellite providers. Surprisingly, it doesn't even matte what country you're in, it always seems to be problematic. First of all, the connection speed doesn't really stay consistent. It appears it varies depending on every little meteorological change.

When it comes to dealing with stubborn Internet providers, a little bit of legal action threatening usually does the trick.

Good luck. :)

Where abouts are you CharHolds, we dont really have that many satellite providers in the UK, so its interesting to here the experience of others :)
-----

anything