Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Netgear DG834v3 Router - Problems  (Read 3583 times)

LeoDarkSide

• Just arrived
Netgear DG834v3 Router - Problems
« on: December 28, 2007, 02:50:02 PM »

Hello there!

I am currently using the stated Netgear Router in my home, and have been using it for the past year and a bit. However, earlier this year i built myself a new computer and moved my router from the master socket to the other room.

When i connected it all up, it was running fine for a few days...but then it suddenly started to "Lock Up". All the lights on the front of the device would stay on and the "Number 1" light where the CAT5 was connected would continue to blink. However, the computer would not be able to access the internet and wireless would not show up on any device I own.

That problem was remedied when i moved my router onto the table beside me. However, a few months later, the same problem occured. I put up with it for a month and a bit, but then i moved it yet again to the furtherest point I could from the computer (without going too extreme, of course). it now sits behind the sofa next to me and has been working fine for a few good months.

Now the same problem has occured again!

I have gone from forum to forum and contacted various individials in hopes that my error will be resolved, but i have no luck!

Let me further describe the error:

The internet will run fine, but then it will just...stop responding. When i refresh or try to connect to another site, i get the 404 treatment.
The router looks fine when you look at the lights. The power, wireless, internet and LAN lights are all on. Although sometimes, the Internet light will just drop put and will not go back on. The latter is rare but does happen and I experiance the same effects.
I am running the latest firmware, done several virus, spyware and adware scans, set the firewall and so on. No such luck in resolving the problem.

Setup:
The router is plugged into the wall-socket. Next to it is a standing lamp that is plugged into an extension board that is sitting in the corner. I have made sure the wires are not touching thus causing any static related problems.
The router is plugged into a microfilter and the boradband cable into it.

My ISP is Demon Internet.

I....really dont know whats wrong. I have tired, tried and tried again but no such luck in getting it resolved.

This has gone on for too long! PLEASE HELP!

--=Leo=--

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
Re: Netgear DG834v3 Router - Problems
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 03:11:44 PM »

Hi Leo,

One thing you can do is upgrade the firmware. The newest one will help resolve the issue. I would personally recommend that you use Version 4.01.06. The other reasons it locks up on you is due to the router over heating. This in turn kills the netgear and as such you should use the stand that comes with it and make sure it is well ventilated.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

LeoDarkSide

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 05:08:43 PM »

"One thing you can do is upgrade the firmware. The newest one will help resolve the issue. I would personally recommend that you use Version 4.01.06."

Umm...i said i was using the latest firmware!

Well, i could use the stand....but i lost it. ^_^;;

Umm...Can you tell me where a good place would be to put it thats well ventilated? Forgive me, but i am crap at the sort of thing. ^_^;;

As i said, right now it is sitting behind the sofa. It's leather and it seems to be quite cool down there.

Oh yes, and all this started again a few weeks ago. I was trying to connect to the network on my laptop and it never detected it. I flicked it off and on again at the wall socket and then this all started again. Think it was because of that?

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 05:51:48 PM »

When this happens can you log-in to the router?

Try http://192.168.0.1/

I use the Netgear & don`t get the problems you get, mine is vertical, it seemed to get hotter when it was laid down horizontal.

Many solutions are a matter of trial & error, suck it & see or just very frustrating.

Unfortunately your problem will be new here so theres no background posts to go by, so members will ask a lot of questions that you may already have answered elsewhere, bear with them.

Regards.

Steve

LeoDarkSide

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 12:34:31 PM »

Ahh!

Sorry everyone! Too late!

She died this morning!

:(

roseway

• Administrator