Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SteamOS - a dedicated operating system for bigscreen gaming  (Read 3039 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
SteamOS - a dedicated operating system for bigscreen gaming
« on: September 24, 2013, 07:40:06 AM »

I'm not a gamer personally, but this looks interesting, both to Linux users and gamers in general.

SteamOS

Thousands of games, millions of users. Everything you love about Steam.
Available soon as a free operating system designed for the TV and the living room.

Steam is coming to a new operating system

As we’ve been working on bringing Steam to the living room, we’ve come to the conclusion that the environment best suited to delivering value to customers is an operating system built around Steam itself. SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen.

It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: SteamOS - a dedicated operating system for bigscreen gaming
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 11:26:09 PM »

Yes it looks interesting but like you I'm not a gamer.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 12:19:24 AM »

If its te same thing, we tried Steam on the windows machine a few months back but quite quickly got disillusioned and gave up on it.

Can't remember exactly what the problems were, I think it tended to secretly mess about with display settings that were hard to undo, melt the modem with incessant updates and downloads, and generally to have been written on the assumption that the sole purpose of the PC (and indeed the internet) would be games, renderring it  pretty much useless for other work.

Just my opinion though.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 07:26:07 AM »

I don't disagree with that, but of course the intention of SteamOS is to have Steam as its main purpose. It's definitely not intended as a general purpose OS.
  Eric

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 05:16:04 PM »

Worth noting that there are an increasing number of games on the Steam platform which now run natively on Linux.

The SteamOS is more to do with their "console" - its a PC in pretty packaging running an appropriate kernel for the tasks.

I am aware of the problems of Steam "becoming Amazon" in the gaming industry might bring but the basic fact is that they're the only people moving games off Windows and onto an open-source OS.

The Linux scheduler is what makes Linux so responsive and IMHO that is ideal for a games platform/console.

Open source "SteamOS" will take off like busybox did for routers - build some DRM (sorry) into it for streaming stuff and you have a far more capable box than either Sony or MS have planned. If you have the hardware to do games then HDTV is idling along in terms of power.

I think Mr Torvald's creation might finally get the widespread usage it deserves this way. Would be somewhat amusing if it did, given the "geeks" rep of Linux  ;)

anything