Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A puzzle  (Read 1867 times)

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
A puzzle
« on: September 21, 2013, 08:44:40 PM »

Last weekend my (Plusnet) broadband slowed from around 7 Mb/sec to just over 1.  Oh dear I thought, summut up here.

About 2 days later No 1 daughter arrived about 9pm (she only lives about a mile away) and said "whats wrong with your phone?"

She had been trying to ring us for about 3 days with no answer.

I logged onto BT.com and reported a fault (I refuse to phone them).  We were promised a service by last Friday.  On Wednesday last an Openreach engineer arrived, fiddled with the master socket, pronounced it fit and disappeared in the direction of BT's little green box.

30 minutes later he reappeared, pronounced every thing working and went on his way.

My question is: what fault in the box would kill the phones but leave the broadband working, albeit very slowly?

Yesterday we spoke to neighbours just across the road, she told us that her phones had gone dead about the same time as ours were fixed.  Coincidence, or alien interference?  She had reported the fault on her mobile.  Bad move, she had a long conversation with a lady in India with much mutual misunderstanding.

Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: A puzzle
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 10:39:08 PM »

One side of the pair of cables disconnected, probably. It would kill the phones completely, but enough ADSL signal would get through to give some sort of connection, but at a much lower speed.
  Eric

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 01:28:06 PM »

I'm in agreement with Eric ^^^^.  :)

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 01:58:24 PM »

OK, thanks.  As long as it was nothing more sinister.
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.