Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Xmas lights and IP Profile ?  (Read 12094 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Xmas lights and IP Profile ?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2007, 10:06:25 PM »

Nothing published as far as I know. But the figure would be several disconnections per hour, I'm sure. When I've been tweaking my connection with the DMT tool I've often re-synced three or four times in a short period with no effect on my  target noise margin.

(BT don't lower your profile directly by the way. What happens is that, if the DLM (Dynamic Line Management) equipment in the exchange determines that your line is unstable, then the target noise margin is raised, which will result in a lower connection speed, which in turn will (usually) result in a lower IP profile.)
  Eric

Captain Pugwash

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2007, 10:15:58 PM »

Nothing published as far as I know. But the figure would be several disconnections per hour, I'm sure. When I've been tweaking my connection with the DMT tool I've often re-synced three or four times in a short period with no effect on my  target noise margin.

(BT don't lower your profile directly by the way. What happens is that, if the DLM (Dynamic Line Management) equipment in the exchange determines that your line is unstable, then the target noise margin is raised, which will result in a lower connection speed, which in turn will (usually) result in a lower IP profile.)

my wife has taken down what im assuming caused the drop in profile, the xmas lights, would the system be wise to this and put the profile back up to where it was and whats the normal timescale for that to happen ?

capt

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007, 10:26:52 PM »

You've only dropped one increment so it will probably go back up in a day.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2007, 10:40:32 PM »

are there official figures as in, BT will interpret (x) amount of switchoffs within a period of (x) as a fault and lower profile accordingly ?

capt

Nope...  The only info we do have is What is "Adaptive Max Logic"?.
Some dslams do seem to be more "sensitive" than others when it comes to what is going to be changed on the DLM. :?

----

edit -
whoops - got caught out by "the end of page" sorry didn't see the page 2 - where eric and astral answered your Q's
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 10:45:02 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2007, 11:08:03 PM »

Do we have any clue whether a deliberate resync can be discriminated from a resync triggered by a noise spike?

I know the DSLAM/MSAN can see this but what about the DLM (BRAS in BT-speak) side of things? I'm having a hard time seeing how this can be effectively and accurately communicated on a day to day basis over millions of lines?

Edit - never mind, the penny has (finally) dropped on why BT want rid of ATM :lol:

Captain Pugwash

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2007, 11:12:36 PM »

thanks for all the help, gonna shut down the whole kaboodle for the night and see how things work out.

capt

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2007, 11:21:56 PM »

Something to do with the dying gasp technology on a proper shut down... although I dont much know what it actually involves.

As regards to the IP profile - cause they dont want tons of traffic traversing down the backhaul and would rather "slow it down" at the RAS... especially when some VPs are still quite small at some exchanges and could easily be maxed out by just a few with 8Mb connections.  :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2007, 11:29:26 PM »

Yeah that's where the penny dropped kitz - ATM is a guaranteed service, IP is not.

I suspect phone services on the new 21CN will be fun at times given BT's (and to be fair most telecos) tendency to believe what the manufacturers say ;)

Edit - I did know this once upon a time but as I said to you I'm getting pretty bored with IT so I tend to overlook the obvious now ;)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 11:34:20 PM by rizla »

Captain Pugwash

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2007, 11:21:33 PM »

guys, i rebooted my pc at 6pm on saturday night and got my 8000k sync speed back

BT speedtest result:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  8000 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5943 kbps

now im above 7968k sync speed once more and into the specified 7000k  IP profile, roughly how long does it take for the profile to catch up with the increased sync and the bt speedtest to tell me im back on 7000k ?

capt

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2007, 11:51:03 PM »

now im above 7968k sync speed once more and into the specified 7000k  IP profile, roughly how long does it take for the profile to catch up with the increased sync and the bt speedtest to tell me im back on 7000k ?

capt

Glad youre getting there  :thumbs:
as to the profile changes....

~ What is "Adaptive Max Logic"?
-----

Captain Pugwash

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2007, 11:57:32 PM »

downloading as i type, its coming down at 740 kb/sec...............nice  ;)

capt

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2007, 12:02:23 AM »

So no Christmas lights next year! I won't have them in the house but that's cos I'm a miserable old git. ;)

Captain Pugwash

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2007, 12:08:46 AM »

heh heh , if i said no, she would ram them up my jacksie astral, then id have her and our kids nagging me...........guess they will be up next year  ;D

capt
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 04:05:29 PM by Captain Pugwash »

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2007, 09:34:01 AM »

You could just buy another set and now is the perfect time to do it as they are all heavily discounted :)

It'll be the wall-wart (power supply) causing the noise - they are usually cheap and VERY nasty. The reason its such an issue with Christmas lights is because the cable with the lights on will act as an almost perfect antenna at a certain frequency and all harmonics of that frequency.

We switched to LEDs a couple of years ago for power reasons (old lamps took 75W!). LED lights are less likely to cause a problem as they run on much lower voltages so even if the wall-wart does generate some noise it won't radiate very far.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2008, 01:20:21 PM »

The problem with X-mas lights is not unusual, The effect is refered to as REIN or repetitive electrical impulse noise. Any thing electrical produces some radio noise/s. Its just a question what frequency, type of noise, & strenght.

If you suspect there is something interfering with your broadband , get a am/mw radio & tune it to 612Khz. if you hold the radio next to an lcd screen for your pc as an exsample you would hear a distinct noise. This should fade away if you move the radio a quater to half a meter away. Hold it by your modem/router & you'll hear the DSL signal.

If you get a distinct noise enveloping a larger area, then this may be picked up by your router & causing an snr problem (or even drop of sync), By using th radio you may be able to get an idea of where the noise is comming from. Switch the suspect appliance off & retest your DSL connection.

Be aware picking up a noise on the radio is not always aftecting your DSL connection, and you may still have REIN issue in the area which will not be picked up @ 612Khz, REIN is often notoriously difficult to pin-point.

X-mas lights are a classic cause, noisy elecrical appliance with a long length of wire (now an antennea). Some times you could cure it with a ferrite sleeve (that small cylindrical thing you normaly see along your monitor cable whichdosn't seem to do anything) You can get these from electical suppliers such as Maplin.

Last full blow REIN fault I worked on  affected at least 3 customers within an 80m diameter, eventualy found it to be caused by a LCD monitor for a pc, this sent a strong REIN signal feed back along the mains cableing affecting the local area

Hope this helps..
Pages: 1 [2] 3